f4i rim dents from stoppies

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 09:28 PM

rydn600f4 is an unknown quantity at this point
f4i rim dents from stoppies

i have been runnin around 20lbs pressure in my rear tire and i have been doing alot of stoppies lately...i thought i would be fine. when i went to change the rear tire i noticed i had a few small dents which are understandable, but i had one pretty bad dent on the lip(about 1/2 inch in). i am pretty sure the wheels are cast right? so would i be able to bend it back or hit it back into place with a hammer or something without breakin the lip. the tire wont hold air unless its up to like 35lbs and i cant roll like that. thanks for the help.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:39 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light
Re: f4i rim dents from stoppies

Originally Posted by rydn600f4
i have been runnin around 20lbs pressure in my rear tire and i have been doing alot of stoppies lately...i thought i would be fine. when i went to change the rear tire i noticed i had a few small dents which are understandable, but i had one pretty bad dent on the lip(about 1/2 inch in). i am pretty sure the wheels are cast right? so would i be able to bend it back or hit it back into place with a hammer or something without breakin the lip. the tire wont hold air unless its up to like 35lbs and i cant roll like that. thanks for the help.
i tried my *** off to bend back a front honda rim, **** would not go at all. i guess ppl who professionally repair rims use a torch and some other ****, so maybe if u tried heating it and banging it.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:01 AM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

It's possible to hit it back, but it takes lot of force. you need to support it against something solid(wall) and keep block of wood between the rim and the wall, preferrably cut the wood so that it is shaped like the rim(to the direction of the tyre). then stand on it, and hit it with sledge hammer. always put some hard wood block to the point you want to bend back and then hit that wood(wood needs to be so long that it goes over the center so you can hit it). and the system gets loose with every hit, so every time you need to tighten the rim against the block of wood that is between the wall and the rim and reset the hard wood block.

it goes very slowly. so you need lot of hits. I have been using 8lbs sledge, if the sledge is too small, you need to hit so hard it's hard to be accurate. with heavier you can hit slowly and you get more hits to the target.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:44 AM

not sure i understand your method jacket...is the rim vertical against the wall or laying on the ground flat but slid up against the wall? so the block of wood should be rounded to the profile of the rim and wedged between the rim and the wall? then use the hard block of wood between the rim and hammer?
Old 08-11-2006, 05:58 AM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

"wedged between the rim and the wall?"

yep, it's laying on the side

" then use the hard block of wood between the rim and hammer?"

yep.

Last edited by Jaket; 08-11-2006 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:38 AM

thanks alot man that explains it alot better...i will give that a try...i used a lead hammer to get it to where it at least holds air but i didnt even take it off the bike and it still isnt perfectly round...sucks because it seems like its pullin me to the right when i do highway **** now
Old 08-11-2006, 09:43 AM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

do it with the tire on... and only enough to seal the bead/hold air... dont try to get it back to perfect cause the cast alum will stress crack from being bent.

I did a small dent on a front rim that was leaking... but I used a blunt peice of flat steel and a small sledge... looks like complete sh*t but still holds air.

And yes it will take ALOT of hard pounding to bend.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Came back-it's still wack

TongWoo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kj954
the cast alum will stress crack from being bent.
Yep. Be careful...You can get little cracks that will leak air...
Old 08-11-2006, 10:56 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Originally Posted by TongWoo
Yep. Be careful...You can get little cracks that will leak air...

My friend bent back a dent in his 954 rear rim, a little while later it cracked badly....I wouldnt even bother straightening it becasue even when we had them profesionally straightned, they just dent even easier and worse in the same spot....

You have the same problem my friend has, your putting your endos down too hard. Try learning how to control your landing and not just let it slam down, its even worse if you let the back kick out to one side when you put them down...
Old 08-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Came back-it's still wack

TongWoo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
My friend bent back a dent in his 954 rear rim, a little while later it cracked badly....I wouldnt even bother straightening it becasue even when we had them profesionally straightned, they just dent even easier and worse in the same spot....
That was good advice...
Old 08-11-2006, 11:08 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Originally Posted by TongWoo
That was good advice...
Well we learned the hard way......This rim was profesionally strightened before we had it powder coated, they did a great job and it was pretty damn straight when we got it back. The orignal dent before the straightening was alot smaller then what happend soon after we put it on the bike...

See what happens is they heat and force the dent back in, that alone weakens that area. Then they usually have to grind the lip smooth because of all the nicks and small dents they put in the lip from straightening, this just weakens the lip even more aswell....What you end up with is straight wheel with thiner and much weaker lip that will peel back like butter next hit...

Old 08-11-2006, 11:42 AM

yeah my prob is i can get em pretty high and roll em maybe 50 60 feet right now before i am going to the side bad and have to drop it down...i will have to work on gettin em straight, further and set em down easier....i thought endos would be easy compared to circles and combos and **** but hell no...