running too rich

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 02:11 AM

suzukibobby is an unknown quantity at this point
running too rich

My 93 900rr started running too rich. When i rev it up, black smoke comes out the exhaust. I have the cali model so i don't think that you can adjust the air fuel ratio so i just ripped out the air cleaner and now it runs a hell of alot better, still rich but better. I need to fix this problem to get the power back into my motor. any suggestions?? When i pin it, the motor boggs then kicks in..
Old 08-04-2006, 02:50 AM
Regular StuntLifer

Puer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: running too rich

Take it to a dyno and get it tuned its not that much
Old 08-04-2006, 02:55 AM

suzukibobby is an unknown quantity at this point

i just hate to take my bike to a shop and pay them to fix a problem when the bike might not live through tomorrow....
Old 08-04-2006, 03:43 AM

phxRRkid will become famous soon enough

what i'm going to tell you is illegal but only if the epa is in your neighborhood. If you look at the air fuel mixture screw it has a aluminum cap if you take a small drill bit about the size 7/32 or so you can drill through the cap safely then take a small screwdriver and pop out the cap. once you get the cap off the a/f mixture screw will be exposed. turn the screw i n a half turn at a time and run your bike . Remember turning in the screw will lean out your engine and will make your bike run hotter... I also recommend using a hotter plug and slow drip fuel injector/carb cleaner... pm me for any more info

Last edited by phxRRkid; 08-04-2006 at 03:49 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:32 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AZ_GSXR_750
what i'm going to tell you is illegal but only if the epa is in your neighborhood. If you look at the air fuel mixture screw it has a aluminum cap if you take a small drill bit about the size 7/32 or so you can drill through the cap safely then take a small screwdriver and pop out the cap. once you get the cap off the a/f mixture screw will be exposed. turn the screw i n a half turn at a time and run your bike . Remember turning in the screw will lean out your engine and will make your bike run hotter... I also recommend using a hotter plug and slow drip fuel injector/carb cleaner... pm me for any more info
im having the same problem on my f4i. boggs like hell at like 2500 rpms and blows smoke. i put new plugs and new filter in but still does it. any ideas how to fix it.