Spray Painting Katana

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 10:36 PM

pcampos is an unknown quantity at this point
Spray Painting Katana

My friend recently picked-up a 92 Katana for a good price and the only problem is that the paint is dead and we wantto give it a rattle can paint job. My question is what do I need to prep the plactics and tank and what materials I should use (primer, paint, clear, sandpaper etc.) If someone has done this and can give me some info i wold appreciate it and pictures if you have some would be cool. Thanks
Old 07-25-2006, 11:12 PM
AuthorityStunts

KROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to behold
Re: Spray Painting Katana

sand it down till there isnt any glossy parts and prime and paint. easy stuff man. i dont think you should clear a rattle can job that cant look good. just use krylon semi flat black. SEMI flat, not flat it looks badass and dries really smooth. still shines but not glossy.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:24 PM

silverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to all

maaco
Old 07-25-2006, 11:30 PM

csimp3 is an unknown quantity at this point

i just painted my lower fairings for my gsxr, i used black semi gloss krylon fusion like krohnszx6 said, i used a lighter steel wool to smooth out the plastics, it worked better than sanding cause it didnt leave any sanding marks, it just leaves everything really smooth, then i put like 4 coats on each fairing. the paint is really easy to work with, if you get a run or something, just hit it with a scuff pad or steel wool like i did, and re-coat the whole piece and it looks nice and even when it dries.

if it helps the steel wool that i used is "00" on the scale of light to coarse, here are some pics of the lower fairings after i got em back on my bike.

PS. the more time you put into making everything smooth and even, the better it will look
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	paint01.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	176377   Click image for larger version

Name:	paint02.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	176378  
Old 07-26-2006, 03:03 AM

suzukibobby is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a 92 katana that i just gave a light sand to and primered it black. It looked really badass.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:22 AM

YB929RR is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know how a katana could look really badass.
Don't waste your time or the paint.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:50 AM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point

go to walmart and find the 99 cent cans of paint.........get black, hunter green, and a brown slightly darker than a tan color.............now go home, tape off the headlight and taillight............take some acid and start randomly picking up a can and spray bombing that thing until it looked like ultimate camo...........now get your best camo pants and shirt on......spray your helmet camo......and wear Jerzee gloves....................................tada.... noone can tell you are riding a huge hunk of POO! makes it easy to outrun the cop on that slow pile of useless parts too.........you're camo....they can't see you!
Old 07-26-2006, 09:56 AM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eazenutz33
go to walmart and find the 99 cent cans of paint.........get black, hunter green, and a brown slightly darker than a tan color.............now go home, tape off the headlight and taillight............take some acid and start randomly picking up a can and spray bombing that thing until it looked like ultimate camo...........now get your best camo pants and shirt on......spray your helmet camo......and wear Jerzee gloves....................................tada.... noone can tell you are riding a huge hunk of POO! makes it easy to outrun the cop on that slow pile of useless parts too.........you're camo....they can't see you!

it had to be said
Old 12-01-2006, 03:29 AM
Group Moderator

StrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by eazenutz33

i had a 92 kan-of-tuna ... shoulda done that