Please Help!!!!!!! 929 Problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 03:04 PM

honda4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Please Help!!!!!!! 929 Problem!!

Ok heres the scoop, Im working on a bike for a friend, hes got a stunt edition 929 lol. about a week ago he had a crack in the case, and took it to his friend to weld, he got it back, the bike was working fine, then it just died on him. when he turns the key on he cant hear the FI kick in. So he brought it jhere thinkiong it was a bad fuel pump. Well we tested it out and it is fine, so we went to the next thing the pump relay, and that also is fine, we tried the switch on the clipon and itds fine, so we replaced the tip sensor, and the neutral safety switch, and both are fine. When we run direct power to the fuel pump it primes up great, but it dont stop once its primed, it runs constantly. on the relay you have 4 wires, there should be 3 power and on ground, problem being the ground and one of the powers should be switched. so we thought maybe there was a problem internally in hios computer, so we replaced that as well and STILL TEH SAME GOD DAMN PROBLEMS!!! Im tired of working on this pos. Someone told me there was a recall on a clutch disk, and that if it breaks it can cut the wires inside the clutch cover, so we pulled it ands its fine, however there is a gear type thing in ther with really tall teeth, 2 of them are bent, what is that for and what does it do? Im assumiong its somethingwith the igniton. SOMEONE help please. I wanna get on weith my life grrrr.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:25 PM

955iDisastar is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Please Help!!!!!!! 929 Problem!!

Yea that gear thing in front of the clutch is the ignition "rotor" the pickup next to it on the cover counts the teeth for ignition timing. although bent teeth are not good shouldn't cause this issue.

Might want to check the cicuit from the switch to the relay. Is the relay clicking when you turn on the kill switch?
Old 05-23-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by 955iDisastar
Yea that gear thing in front of the clutch is the ignition "rotor" the pickup next to it on the cover counts the teeth for ignition timing. although bent teeth are not good shouldn't cause this issue.

Might want to check the cicuit from the switch to the relay. Is the relay clicking when you turn on the kill switch?
the fuel pump relay isnt clicking on when you turn the key and switch on but the relay itself works I have bench tested the relay
Old 05-23-2006, 05:10 PM

when you have the key on and you turn the kill switch on and off do any of the dash lihts turn on and off? (ie. fi light, or oil light?)

if not your problem should be in the kil switch or conetctors to the switch.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by 955iDisastar
when you have the key on and you turn the kill switch on and off do any of the dash lihts turn on and off? (ie. fi light, or oil light?)

if not your problem should be in the kil switch or conetctors to the switch.
Well if i plug in the cluster yes all the lights come on fine ..I have tested all the curcuits with a multi meter and get efficiant voltage to everything .Replaced the bank sensor(tilt sensor) , did the nuetral safetu switch , checked all fuses ,changed the diode , both relays are brand new ...I am not getting the correct signal from the ECU but i have tried 2 sepeerate 929 ECU's and no luck at all
Old 05-23-2006, 10:57 PM

are you getting corect signal INTO the ecu?

sorry just tyring the hunt and peck.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:59 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

it's either the pump or the ecu

happens all the time
Old 05-23-2006, 11:10 PM

CBR9542NV is an unknown quantity at this point

The case he broke, was it the stator cover? If the stator has one little broken piece in the windings, it's gone! You can do a resistance check between each section on the coil. You have to unplug the battery, and check in ohms. ( the omega symbol.) If u get a 1 or above, it's bad. that shows that u have high resistance. If u get a .2 or so it's still good. What happens is that the coil is not charging the battery so thats why your not getting power, or enough power for you fuel pump, fan , or injectors to work. I'm a motorcycle tech, feel free to pm me if you have any questions. But i'm pretty sure thats the problem. oh and on the 929 and 954's, theres a small resistor on the back of the ignition switch. To get to it, u have to remove the switch completly (2 screws, touques bits) then remove the back of the cover( another touques bit screws) I think there are 3 to remove the cover. you will see the resistor. What the resistor does is drop the voltage from 12VDC to like 7VDC. your bike will not start if that reistor doesn't put out 7VDC. You can get just the rear part of the ignition from honda for like $40.00. I've had this problem numerous of times and I'm pretty sure thats the problem if not the stator. Hit me up and let me know. U can also ask the honda dealer bout the resistor. I worked for Honda/Yamaha for a few years and seen this problem alot. good luck
Old 05-25-2006, 11:51 AM

jcrojas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CBR9542NV
The case he broke, was it the stator cover? If the stator has one little broken piece in the windings, it's gone! You can do a resistance check between each section on the coil. You have to unplug the battery, and check in ohms. ( the omega symbol.) If u get a 1 or above, it's bad. that shows that u have high resistance. If u get a .2 or so it's still good. What happens is that the coil is not charging the battery so thats why your not getting power, or enough power for you fuel pump, fan , or injectors to work. I'm a motorcycle tech, feel free to pm me if you have any questions. But i'm pretty sure thats the problem. oh and on the 929 and 954's, theres a small resistor on the back of the ignition switch. To get to it, u have to remove the switch completly (2 screws, touques bits) then remove the back of the cover( another touques bit screws) I think there are 3 to remove the cover. you will see the resistor. What the resistor does is drop the voltage from 12VDC to like 7VDC. your bike will not start if that reistor doesn't put out 7VDC. You can get just the rear part of the ignition from honda for like $40.00. I've had this problem numerous of times and I'm pretty sure thats the problem if not the stator. Hit me up and let me know. U can also ask the honda dealer bout the resistor. I worked for Honda/Yamaha for a few years and seen this problem alot. good luck

The resistor burned out in my ignition switch once. I replaced the switch and all was good.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Hate Hate Hate!

T-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really niceT-NECK is just really nice

the fuel pump sounds good. sounds like the ecu fo sho.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:34 PM

TurboNghtRdr is an unknown quantity at this point

yup ecu can do some funny stuff, when mine went out i got fuel pump, injector fire and it would crank over but never sent signal for spark.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:39 AM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

what about the ignition diode, I thought those go bad all the time? the welding could have fucked it up.