Sealing off the brake inlet

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 02:06 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
Sealing off the brake inlet

I was looking at some fancy show bikes and I noticed alot of them seal off the inlets on their master cylinders. Is there any reason we dont do that?

In theory, once the system is bled properly, the resivior is no longer used (unless theres a leak somewhere).

It looks like they kink the inlet line and then tie it off with safety wire, and thats it. Even though its not really in the way, I wouldnt mind eliminating my resiviors, I do break them occaisionally.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Sealing off the brake inlet

Originally Posted by MikeM
I was looking at some fancy show bikes and I noticed alot of them seal off the inlets on their master cylinders. Is there any reason we dont do that?

In theory, once the system is bled properly, the resivior is no longer used (unless theres a leak somewhere).

It looks like they kink the inlet line and then tie it off with safety wire, and thats it. Even though its not really in the way, I wouldnt mind eliminating my resiviors, I do break them occaisionally.
Problem is you need the extra fluid as the brakes wear. The pads have to be pushed in farther and more fluid is needed to fill the space in the caliper.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:13 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NINER
Problem is you need the extra fluid as the brakes wear. The pads have to be pushed in farther and more fluid is needed to fill the space in the caliper.
exactly
Old 04-07-2006, 02:14 PM
T&A
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

T&A has a spectacular aura aboutT&A has a spectacular aura aboutT&A has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by scott3824
exactly
True
Old 04-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

However, you could use one reservoir for front and rear brakes and once you seal off the top, strap it below the top triple clamp.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Get-er-done

Kerns BBO is an unknown quantity at this point

However, you could use one reservoir for front and rear brakes and once you seal off the top, strap it below the top triple clamp.
But then you would try to create a vacuume in a space where you have nothing but brake fluid which can not expand or contract so it wouldnt work as the pads wear down. You have to ensure that there is enough air in the sealed container to allow for expansion and contraction.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:25 PM

EXMrider05 is an unknown quantity at this point

darius plugs up both his front and rear masters....it seems like
Old 04-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Kerns BBO
But then you would try to create a vacuume in a space where you have nothing but brake fluid which can not expand or contract so it wouldnt work as the pads wear down. You have to ensure that there is enough air in the sealed container to allow for expansion and contraction.
The fluid in the reservoir does not expand and contract. It is only pulled from there as the pads wear. You will have ot be careful not to overflow it when yo upush the calipers back in dring a brake change.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

it works,b ut everyso often you gotta rebleed them...thats my experience. but i didnt have them stopped up very well.

nice for the ergos of the handlebars...less crap to hide and finangle
Old 04-07-2006, 02:33 PM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

use a piece of clear tubing so you can see when you need to add more fluid
Old 04-07-2006, 03:10 PM

JohnnyP is a decent person

The fluid in the reservoir does not expand and contract. It is only pulled from there as the pads wear. You will have ot be careful not to overflow it when yo upush the calipers back in dring a brake change.
Not true when you have a HB the line gets pressureized all the way to the res......If that where true then your HB wouldnt work the way it doesThink about it when you push the foot pedal it pushes the HB lever back where does that pressure come from.....your res port.

Just a hose with no RES works fine if you keep it topped up all the time, on a race bike thats no problem your always workin on it. Your wrong about air in there not affecting performance, thats why all resivors have diaphrams to take up that air space as the fluid level drops...Without a diaphram and air in the res you'll get spongyness in the lever and require pump up.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:13 PM

PS if you dont beleave me hold your res hose with your fingers and pump the lever, you'll feel a pulse.....
Old 04-07-2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by MikeM

Get yourself some rear brake resiviors from a 99-02 R6 they are smaller and harder to break than all the others Ive tried
Old 04-07-2006, 03:55 PM
wheres all the fat girls

martino is a decent person

Originally Posted by DoodleF4i
thats an awesome idea, but id take a section of hose you wanna use and soak in brake fluid for a week- make sure the brake fluid wont dissolve it, not all rubber materials can handle brake fluid
Old 04-07-2006, 05:06 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by DoodleF4i
good thinking
Originally Posted by martino
thats an awesome idea, but id take a section of hose you wanna use and soak in brake fluid for a week- make sure the brake fluid wont dissolve it, not all rubber materials can handle brake fluid
more good thinking
Old 04-07-2006, 05:13 PM
bp chaser

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Just a hose with no RES works fine if you keep it topped up all the time, on a race bike thats no problem your always workin on it. Your wrong about air in there not affecting performance, thats why all resivors have diaphrams to take up that air space as the fluid level drops...Without a diaphram and air in the res you'll get spongyness in the lever and require pump up.
This is what happened to me. I broke the zip tie holding my res up. If hung by the hose upside down for a few hours or so. I think I had some air in the res and it got into my master that way. When im on flat ground its good, once I bring it vertical, the hb gets a little spongy untill i pump it. I think I have a bubble right at the res inlet that goes into the master when the angle changes.
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Not true when you have a HB the line gets pressureized all the way to the res......If that where true then your HB wouldnt work the way it doesThink about it when you push the foot pedal it pushes the HB lever back where does that pressure come from.....your res port.
Yup, the valve doesnt get completely closed untill the piston is already pushed in a little bit, and theres already a little pressure built up by that point.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by martino
Thats good advice but it will usually take a good bit of time for the fulid to actually start noticibly eating at the hose. To date I have not found a clear hose other than the special hose Yoyodyne sells for res hose ($8 a foot). Anything else Ive tried from industrial hose supply either eventually yellows and hardens or stays soft and clear but sweats.

This is what happened to me. I broke the zip tie holding my res up. If hung by the hose upside down for a few hours or so. I think I had some air in the res and it got into my master that way. When im on flat ground its good, once I bring it vertical, the hb gets a little spongy untill i pump it. I think I have a bubble right at the res inlet that goes into the master when the angle changes.
Your exactly right about that even when I overfill the res you still have a little air thats going to slide back and forth in the res hose between the HB and resivior, as the angle of the bike changes. I can see air bubble slide back and forth when I put my bike on the bar, you cant get ride of it all %100 but the less air you have the better the transition will be from HB to FB and the HB will work better all round.

You just have to think about it air compresses alot! more than fluid so you want the least amount of air in the system as possible for that firm feel. The more air you have the more time it takes to move and compress it to build up the pressure...

MikeM dont know your setup but if you can mount little R6 res like mine youd have to really hard time breaking them I mounted mine as low as possible and tucked them in so they never get touched..The R6 rear has the mounting hole on the side instead of the bottom like most fronts, that helps with mounting them lower...