Neccessery to crack the banjo's ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 07:19 AM

Insane J is an unknown quantity at this point
Neccessery to crack the banjo's ?

I wanted to know... If you're handbrake is only bleeded with a vacuum pump (mine is) do you have to crack the banjo's also ??

And if so, which ones ? all ? or just 1 or 2 ?

And what is the best way to crack them, hold in the Handbrake, untighten the bajo for 1 sec, then tighten it again, and after that, release the brake lever... So no air should run in ???

I'm not formilliar witrh this progress, so please, tell me how I can do it the best way

Greets from Holland
Old 04-05-2006, 08:04 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person
Re: Neccessery to crack the banjo's ?

No you dont have to I only use the rear caliper bleeder to bleed, might crack the bleeder on the front master if there is one on the type of master being used. Thats only to get the front master to start pumpin fluid, once it starts flowing all the bleeding and air comes out the rear caliper bleeder..

Make sure all the banjos are tight and not leaking use a clear hose on the rear caliper bleeder and if youve already got presssure it should take no more then 5min to get all the air out.......If it takes longer or wont get hard something is wrong
Old 04-05-2006, 09:54 AM

But I didn't do it by hand, I (or better said, the motor shop) used a bleeding pump to get the job done... But I always thought there was still a tiny bit of air in the system, cause when I go from foot, to hand brake, I can pull the handbrake a bit further to my steer, then the second time I pull it in...

In other words, I have to pump it up one time before it's totally hard...
Old 04-05-2006, 10:54 AM

Hand or vaccumm bleed doesnt matter........same thing your either pushing the air out the rear bleeder or pulling it with vaccumm....Opening a banjo just increases the possiblitly of letting more air into the system....When you have a hose at the bleeder with the other end in a containder of fluid or a vaccumm it doesnt let air back into the system only out.....Thats why you have to make sure everything is tight and there are %100 no leaks, you can bleed it %100 but if thers a tiny leak it'll let air back in slowly...

Another thing Ive recently noticed with HB is that the fuller the front res is the better...I dont need to pump up the HB when its %100 full. When you use the rear brake it presureizes the line all the way up past the front master and into the cup. The more air volume you have in the cup the more pump up it takes to get hard, becasue air compresses alot more then fluid... I wrap a rag around the res to soak up the excess fluid and fill it all the way then when you put the diaphram and cap on its completey full and has no air volume to compress.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:04 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Insane J
But I didn't do it by hand, I (or better said, the motor shop) used a bleeding pump to get the job done... But I always thought there was still a tiny bit of air in the system, cause when I go from foot, to hand brake, I can pull the handbrake a bit further to my steer, then the second time I pull it in...

In other words, I have to pump it up one time before it's totally hard...
Im gonna guess that you have a small air bubble trapped in your lower master right at the inlet, thats the most common problem. try unbolting the lower master, and tilting it backwards 45 degrees so that any bubbles can float up to the outlet where you can easily bleed them out.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by MikeM
Im gonna guess that you have a small air bubble trapped in your lower master right at the inlet, thats the most common problem. try unbolting the lower master, and tilting it backwards 45 degrees so that any bubbles can float up to the outlet where you can easily bleed them out.
+1 usually I bleed then ride for a day and rebleed it, all the movement plus you using the HB should loosen any bubbles stuck in the system.....But after that if the bubbles just keep commin theres a leak for sure. You could also try the old rubber band trick, put a rubber band on the HB holding pressure on it overnight.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:00 PM

Ok thnx for the info guys !! So I should try to let the air into the rear master out, by unscrewing it, and make sure the air can go to the upper master ??

And also try to put a hose on the real caliper, and try to get all the air out...

And finally, try to get as less air in the reservoir... Great tips !!! Thnx alot

If there's anyone else who has some great tips or advices, feel free to be a post *****
Old 04-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got through doing mine last night, in freaking 35 F weather and it wasn't fun. I ran around like an idiot to get copper crush washers (some call gaskets, for all my lines between banjo bolts) to make sure all my lines didn't have a leak.

I use a pump to bleed which gets tricky sometimes but makes it a lot easier.

I drained my fluid and replaced with 5.1 after I installed SS lines and new pads around. It takes time to get 100% but after we roll today and get some heat building up on them brakes they will be perfect after another quick bleed.

Good luck