Quick 954 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 12:01 AM

Willybeen is an unknown quantity at this point
Quick 954 questions

ok, i bought the 954 as a street bike/ track toy... wrecked it doing a tank wheelie last season... only thing broken now is the case on the side lost a tab on the stator side... its currently holding oil, i just am worried if it goes down again i am going to DESTROY the engine.. so i plan on buying a cage for it..

with that said..

which cage would protect the stator cover from any impact with the ground the bolt that broke the tab is the one closest to the ground and front tire.....

wheres the best place to buy it? anybody have one for sale..?

also for a cheap alternative to buying a new headlight, anybody here use those lights that clip onto the forks... how can you tell how fast your going if you continue to ride on the street?

thanks
-william
Old 01-22-2006, 12:44 AM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve
Re: Quick 954 questions

whats a headlight..and why u need to know how fast ur going? just guess ur speed or go with traffic
Old 01-22-2006, 10:22 AM

The Jeweler is an unknown quantity at this point

My mxd cage has held up to all kinds of beatings when is was learning 12's i am upgrading with the new chromoly MXD cage for this season. As for a headlight i run the acerbis cyclops headlight. Check the sites acerbis.com and mxdcages.com no speedo though who cares how fast you're going anyway, go with the traffic....
Old 01-22-2006, 11:41 AM

did you guys move the oil pickups? just wondering.... i commute to my g/fs often late at night and the speed limit is like 30-then 45- 35- 55.... and there are ALWAYS cops there.. and i get pulled over for stupid ****..i just dont want there to be a hassel if he doesnt see gauges...

hows the acerbis headlight at night? i havent decided to make this bike a FULL fledged stunt bike yet.... im not good enough to warrant ONLY stunting the bike... i enjoy cornering and i want to get to the track this year sometime
Old 01-22-2006, 12:23 PM

standup677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out www.runawaycustoms.org. Joe makes cages and 12'bar's. Let me say I have seen these in action. They hold up the best out of all that i have seen around. The 954 is the basically the same as the 929. I just run about 1 quart over with the oil. No problems in 2 years now.
As far as your tab missing on the case. It may leak soon. I would guess it is at the rear of the stator cover. Thats where mine was broke when I bought it. I had someone that knew how to weld aluminum build the tab. All you have to do is keep adding metal. Then grind it down close. Use a straight edge and gently file it down. Retap it and your good to go. This was done with the engine in the bike. Just make sure you disconnect the battery cable. You don't want to take a chance and fry your electronics.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:45 PM

ohh2cute is an unknown quantity at this point

You can have the lower case welded, even the tab, and then just grind the metal and tap it for the cover.

Any cage will work well

Acerbis lights are ok but not even close to as bright as stock, you can still fit the gauges in between

how bad is your stock headlight....wanna sell it? I'd be interested in it.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:43 PM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

If you like to visit tracks you should get FI cage. It's a lot easier to remove the loop and just leave the sliders for track. mine cage was similar to 905 and I had to remove it all the time for track and street carving. pain in the ***. Then I flipped it without the cage on. bent crank.

I have been using the stock headlight, the taps are broken, but I put big screws through the mounting braket, works good and light power is beyond all aftermarket masks. It doesn't go busted in normal flips-and flops, just don't endo it over. Then it's toast.

For occasional stunting you can just gear it -1 front. Great for road usage..

search lamps and meters from ebay
Old 01-22-2006, 02:19 PM

hyperryder is an unknown quantity at this point

oil pickup on a 954 is not needed just add xtra oil the best cage i have found for a 954 is a power the new style one but the customer service is not that grate
Old 01-22-2006, 05:46 PM

The Jeweler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hyperryder
oil pickup on a 954 is not needed just add xtra oil the best cage i have found for a 954 is a power the new style one but the customer service is not that grate
i'm sure one would help if somebody made one, i would definetly buy it. If you're running gearing on a 954 and stunt it everyday, the more oil you get to the motor the better i'm sure it's a little starved even with a extra litre of oil wheeling down the highway for 10 km. I heard stuntex is in the works for making one but they need a donor bottom end to design it, if i had one i would send it down from Canada right now but i don't.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:05 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

yeah i kinda have that problem with my gixxer right now. the part on the motor where the cover bolts onto has some busted tabs and whatnot. it leaks oil just enough to **** me off. but not really alot to cause any problems, a drop here and a drop there.
i could go out and pay someone with experience to weld it. but i am going to go my own route and try out this stuff i found called alumaloy. kindof similar to alumiweld, which came out in the 70's. hopefully it'll work and i can fab it myself before the spring kicks in.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:10 AM

Tdeal28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
yeah i kinda have that problem with my gixxer right now. the part on the motor where the cover bolts onto has some busted tabs and whatnot. it leaks oil just enough to **** me off. but not really alot to cause any problems, a drop here and a drop there.
i could go out and pay someone with experience to weld it. but i am going to go my own route and try out this stuff i found called alumaloy. kindof similar to alumiweld, which came out in the 70's. hopefully it'll work and i can fab it myself before the spring kicks in.

I tried using HTS-2000 basically the same thing as alumaloy. Personally, I couldn't get that stuff to work on a cracked lower case for shitt......The crap is expensive http://www.aluminumrepair.com/
I am sure it works for certain alloys but I just couldn't get it to work on the case. If you want to give it a try I will sell you what I have left over (4 5 rods worth) with the instructions that came with it for 15 bucks and see what you think.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:32 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

nah i already have a pound
Old 01-23-2006, 02:49 PM

Tdeal28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dam a pound huh..........????

Well let me know if you can get your case to weld up with that stuff.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:21 PM

cases always have oil on them.. that **** needs to be COMPLETELY CLEARED OF OIL FIRST..... i think im just gonna have it tig welded the old fashion way... any other ideas? somebody said they expect mine to start leaking, however.. its been 4000 miles since the incident and not a single drop has leaked..
Old 01-24-2006, 10:33 AM

standup677 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you lay the bike on the side. Completely clean the spot to be welded. Then use rubing alcohol. It has no oils in it. Do a final clean with that and your ready to tig it.