Merk Step >>

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 05:03 AM

Billyt is an unknown quantity at this point
Merk Step >>

Just put the hand brake on and can slow my ss all the way down.... Is doing a merk step as easy as just jumping off and back on... Do I let the throttle all the way out whaen I jump off.. I am just worrind about the bar slaping me in my shin.... Please help....
Old 12-12-2005, 08:31 AM

John LegionST is a decent person
Re: Merk Step >>

best way to learn is to learn to roll SS on idle. Pick up a SS, roll it on idle, step off the back and walk/slow run behind it, then jump back on. After you have that you can work on jumping up to the tank etc to get back on. Sometimes you need to blip the throttle while off the bike but be careful cause it will jump back QUICK with no weight on it, most of the time its easier to just muscle it around with your arms and use the idle/HB while off the bike. practice practice practice
Old 12-12-2005, 09:38 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Billyt
Just put the hand brake on and can slow my ss all the way down.... Is doing a merk step as easy as just jumping off and back on... Do I let the throttle all the way out whaen I jump off.. I am just worrind about the bar slaping me in my shin.... Please help....
I set my idle really low, under 1000, as low as it'll go without stalling. Then just like you said, slow down to 1 or 2 mph and hop off. I like to have the bike a little behind bp so I have to hold it up a little with my arms.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:40 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

When you get back on do you have to gas it or just roll on smothly?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:43 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
When you get back on do you have to gas it or just roll on smothly?
If you push it forward when you hop back on, you have to gas it. Maybe guys with HBs do it differnetly
Old 12-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

You can do them from standup position too. that's how i learned it first i'm still learning actually i only tried like 10mins a couple days.. Just clutch up let the idle catch jump off and use the hb to keep it in the idle spot and apply the brake to bring it down some then jump on
Old 12-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Yes guys, it really is me

-Ludo is a decent person

Originally Posted by Billyt
glad you posted this, bin thinkin about it for age's. hope to try it soon.

is it best to try with a 12 bar on or off??? haven't got one on at the min but will it help me learn just incase i fu(k it up and gas it to much???
Old 12-12-2005, 06:13 PM

Z-UNIT is an unknown quantity at this point

doing it the real way is eassier..idle low flip a slow ss prolly 10ish mphs, ir ur goin to slow u wont have enuff engine brake and itll come to teh bar..its easier the faster u can go...flip, run, push , jump...really good example in this clip at 3:00

http://www.alloddsbeaten.com/Videos/...ssion30meg.wmv
Old 12-12-2005, 06:48 PM

Sparks! is an unknown quantity at this point

Merk steps are one of my fave tricks.. not sure why but they're great.. LEe you gotta learn them mate then you can teach me on the rideout next year
Old 12-13-2005, 01:40 PM

-Ludo is a decent person

Originally Posted by Z-UNIT
doing it the real way is eassier..idle low flip a slow ss prolly 10ish mphs, ir ur goin to slow u wont have enuff engine brake and itll come to teh bar..its easier the faster u can go...flip, run, push , jump...really good example in this clip at 3:00

http://www.alloddsbeaten.com/Videos/...ssion30meg.wmv
thats a feal cool clip, had that saved on my pc a wile now :YEAH

keep thinkin that i can run fast enough to do it, wona get my cage back on my bike before i try it.
dont worry sparks, soon as i nail it i'll give you a hand :YEAH
Old 12-13-2005, 02:12 PM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Z-UNIT
I like it as fast as I can run because it looks better that way, and I have a pretty big step so it's pretty fast. I hate to see someone making little faggy steps practicaly walking the bike like a balerina. Jump off, do few steps and jump back on...here's a little pic of big merks on supermoto for Sparks

Old 12-13-2005, 03:01 PM

-Ludo is a decent person

Originally Posted by bruno_z
I like it as fast as I can run because it looks better that way, and I have a pretty big step so it's pretty fast. I hate to see someone making little faggy steps practicaly walking the bike like a balerina. Jump off, do few steps and jump back on...here's a little pic of big merks on supermoto for Sparks

now thats big steps
you got a vid??