12 bar on zx6r. need opinion on length...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Get-er-done

Kerns BBO is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 12 bar on zx6r. need opinion on length...

For the rear mounts and the uppers I used round tubing with thick washers welded on the end that the mount bolts went through. For the third connect that goes between the two sides I did the same thing but it is a pain to use long extensions every time. I'll get you pics later tonight.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Squid Extradoinaire

Vetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to behold

Yes ill make my own cage. Ive welded for a coupe of years now. Although i didnt do this work, my friend welded it cause we were at his shop. I worked for a pipe fab shop for awhile. Cages and 12 bars are marked up extremely high. Material vested in that bar above was i think $12. A cage youd have no more than $50 in. But then again you have to factor in labor time. A cage would take way longer than the 30 mins it took me to make this the first time. Now since i have the dimensions i could whip this b1tch out in 10mins no prob. CAge might take half a day to make the first set.

Yellow Gixxer. I dont recommend making your own if you have never of welded before. I could turn into a nightmare slash ugly POS.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Relentless Dedication..

YellowGixxer is a decent person

Originally Posted by vettjd01
Yes ill make my own cage. Ive welded for a coupe of years now. Although i didnt do this work, my friend welded it cause we were at his shop. I worked for a pipe fab shop for awhile. Cages and 12 bars are marked up extremely high. Material vested in that bar above was i think $12. A cage youd have no more than $50 in. But then again you have to factor in labor time. A cage would take way longer than the 30 mins it took me to make this the first time. Now since i have the dimensions i could whip this b1tch out in 10mins no prob. CAge might take half a day to make the first set.

Yellow Gixxer. I dont recommend making your own if you have never of welded before. I could turn into a nightmare slash ugly POS.
IM RUDIES BOY haha i can weld..not badas but i can weld..Mig And ARch..but ill use mig its easier and cleaner
Old 12-07-2005, 10:18 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by YellowGixxer
YOU MAKE YOUR OWN CAGE???? dude...what kinda metal do yo uuse..and how do you get it to connect to the motor mounts on a gixxer???i wondered how i could get that to work..cuzif i can save 260 bucks ill do that... ill just buy materails and make that ****
If you have to ask questions like this, it sounds like you probably aren't a good enough fabricator to make a good cage the first time around. Don't make a shitty cage that does more harm than good.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Relentless Dedication..

Originally Posted by inolen
If you have to ask questions like this, it sounds like you probably aren't a good enough fabricator to make a good cage the first time around. Don't make a shitty cage that does more harm than good.
Well whos to say i cant ask questions. then get one of my faimly members to make it?? i just want to use teh right metals so chill out dude..dont say negative things
Old 12-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Squid Extradoinaire

Vetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to behold

we ususally tig. Perfectly clean. I dont f.*** around with MIG much anymore on small stuff like this. You might be able to weld but making a cage would require alot of measurments that would have to be pretty close (thousandths maybe). Thats if you did the style thats like Ingenueity's. If you did 905 style it be easier.

Kern. Id like to see your stuff. I plan to do the same thing with sch40 pipe and washers, but i plan to be able to bolt in replaceable solid round ABS in the ends of the pipe.

If you dont know what metals to use you probably should be doing it. Just use carbon, its cheap. SS would be a waste of money, and as for aluminum... yeah.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Relentless Dedication..

we ususally tig. Perfectly clean. I dont f.*** around with MIG much anymore on small stuff like this. You might be able to weld but making a cage would require alot of measurments that would have to be pretty close (thousandths maybe). Thats if you did the style thats like Ingenueity's. If you did 905 style it be easier.

Kern. Id like to see your stuff. I plan to do the same thing with sch40 pipe and washers, but i plan to be able to bolt in replaceable solid round ABS in the ends of the pipe.

If you dont know what metals to use you probably should be doing it. Just use carbon, its cheap. SS would be a waste of money, and as for aluminum... yeah.
I am excited....i dont have to waste money. Yess..all i gotta buy is the materials..and get my Light Piece for the front. because im taking all my fairings off..anyone know who makes a cheap light piece??
Old 12-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Squid Extradoinaire

:chuckle: do you mean headlight man?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Relentless Dedication..

:chuckle: do you mean headlight man?
Yes..i know i know....your thinking WHAT A ****ING IDIOT..but the fact is...drugs have ruined my brain. Im a crack baby
Old 12-07-2005, 10:56 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by YellowGixxer
Well whos to say i cant ask questions. then get one of my faimly members to make it?? i just want to use teh right metals so chill out dude..dont say negative things
I'm trying to be helpful. A bad cage is gonna do more harm than good.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Get-er-done

Kerns BBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, here are some camera phone pics. If I were to do it again I would use slightly larger tubing (diameter) and I plan on putting in some gussets in the corners for extra strength (no problems yet, i just want the assurance). Oh, I would also weld with my Tig instead of the timy gas welder I have (if its working) as you can tell by the welds. Oh, and I normally have delrin sliders in the upper holes but I have it out right now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gsxr1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	160088   Click image for larger version

Name:	gsxr2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	160089   Click image for larger version

Name:	gsxr3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	160090  
Old 12-08-2005, 01:11 AM
B.T.M.

crtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to behold

haha. the hat is retarded, the bar is too long, this we know. I also use commas incorrectly but i dont care, andyou live in ****ing arizona. Form follows function. This ***** is warm as hell and its 12 degrees outside. Rep 260 R.i.F.