Bad Habbits

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 12:58 AM

vampyre224 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Bad Habbits

Alright, So I geared my GSXR 750 yesterday. Went to a 16-42 ... (one down up front). This was mainly a tactic to help me get 2nd gear up a lil' easier. (For a heads up, I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs.) On stock gearing, I had to work way too hard to get 2nd gear up. Basically, I had to full body bounce AND clutch it. Even then I could only get it up 24" or so... 36" if I was rolling up hill. Now, I have to tell this little story to give you an idea of where I stand. I was having such a hard time getting 2nd gear up ... I decided to try first gear. I couldn't even bounce 1st up. So, I decided to try and clutch it. (this is where it gets funny, enjoy!) So, at about 15-20 mph ... I clutched it to about 12k and dumped it ... damn thing hit about 9 O'clock and I panicked. I hit the rear brake ... (I think) and down it came ... CRASH! I whacked my junk on the tank so hard I leaned in and accidentally hit the gas just as the suspension was topping out ... thats when I found out what it was like to hit an 11 O'clock wheelie! I hammered the rear brake, came down, and smashed my junk AGAIN! Well, I decied at that point, 1st gear wheelies were not a good Idea if your'e learning. Now, back to getting geared down. I took my bike out today to get that 2nd up! No dice. I did however, find that 1st will float up if I'm hard on the pipe. Still can't get 2nd up without clutching it and ... for the real problem ... I think I've spooked myself so badly that I'm doing something wrong ... something that keeps it down ... or maybe ... I'm letting it out too early ... I don't really know for sure. How do you break bad habbits like this? How can I get more comefortable picking it up? Has anybody had this problem? If you did, how did you overcome it? Barring looping the bike of course. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
:p
Old 03-28-2003, 09:09 AM

jay_9se7en3 is an unknown quantity at this point
it just takes time bro. Everyone thinks that 2nd gear is easy as hell on ANY sportbike but its not. To guys that do it day in and day out (like myself), it becomes easy. I remember though what it was like when i was learning. All i remember thinking was how the hell do people pull 2nd on a stock 600??!?!?!? This is impossible! Now i can pull 1st, 2nd with throttle, and 3rd and 4th standing with the clutch, with stock gearing.

Gearing like that also doesn't necessarily mean its gonna be mad easy or anything like that. Its all about timing the bounce with the throttle or clutch.

It all just takes time, it sounds like your pulling 2nd up somewhat, which is good. so now start to wind them out. After that, when you get comfortable, work on balancing. I remember when my 2nd gear standers were like a foot off the ground and 95 mph. Then balance started coming, i could hold them at a solid 60 mph and ride forever.

As for first gear, 1) don't do them standing for now, do them sitting 2) cover the rear brake 3) if shes coming up too fast, just bump the bike with the clutch, by this i mean, don't actually fully clutch it, but at like 5k in rpm slide the clutch in, bump it out at like 8k and pull up slightly and maintain throttle. What this does is unload the front slightly, and while your on the throttle it will come up nice and controlled, hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:31 AM

So, on the way to work today ... I tried to figure out what it was that I was doing wrong. I found that as the bike starts to come up ... I stay bent over and let the bike come up and meet me. In other words ... I can't seem to lean back with the bike. I think that might have somthing to do with another mishap I had years back ... When I used to mountain bike a lot ... I could ride MAD wheelies all the time ... sometimes I would loop but ... no big deal ... I always landed on my feet ... That was until the day I got clipless pedals ... I looped a wheelie and landed flat on my back ... Knocked my *** clean OUT! I have all these panick triggers that I need to let go of. I think that since I have to try SO freakin hard to get 2nd up ... I prolly should keep to trying first until I get used to the feeling. First gear comes up now just by whacking the throttle bout' 3/4 open. it comes up pretty fast though. Hope I don't loop it... my wife will KILL me! Anyways, thanks for the pep talk and, if anybody in the south orange county area knows of a place to practice I would appreciate a heads up. I live in the Mission Viejo area. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-31-2003, 02:46 PM

allenr1@xtc is an unknown quantity at this point
i had the same problem with my R1 basically i wrecked the first week in a wheelie by going over a curb. after that it would never come up in second so I thought... well to make a long story short i was told look up at the sky and use the throttle and it will come up.. if you truely look up and gas i promise it will come up. sounds stupid but if you cant get it up what is it going to hurt...
Old 03-31-2003, 02:53 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Raybone is an unknown quantity at this point
holy shiat these are some funny yet scary stories!!!!

im so glad that im passed that learning stage of whoolies........during that time i did loop an r6 at 40 and totaled it out...so all i have to say is go slow and it will come to you...i thought i was going slow but i obviously wasnt......

either way you want to stunt make sure to be prepared to fall gravity is a bizzatch
Old 03-31-2003, 08:23 PM

So, I was planning of finding a nice quiet road this weekend to practice on but, I got some kind of wicked *** flu! I pretty much slept for 3 days! However, I did manage to get out for a few minutes today and, I found that if I wind 1st gear to about 10k and DUMP 2nd gear ... it will walk right on up! I tried my hardest not to lean in ... but I'm still doing it. Must be sime kind of fear trigger going on. I'll get past it! I overcame my fear of heights by going sky diving damnit! I can overcome this feeble fear of looping! :devil Eh, or at least, I'm going to work on riding them out in second. Maybe I'll get used to the feeling. Oh yah, since this has kinda turned into the funny story thread ... Today I was out riding a bit and, I was diving in for a right hand turn. There was a lane for right turns y'know, and, this lady in an Explorer decided to turn right from the the wrong lane ... right in front of me. I was prolly doing 50 or so and already on the brake. I gave that front brake all it had! So, I found out what a stoppie feels like ... The HARD way! I had been trying them for weeks now but, couldnt get the back end up ... I know now that I just wasnt going fast enough! Little here, little there ... I'll get this stuff down! Then maybe I'll have a sig pic like the rest of you! And, thanks again for all the suggestions, keep em' coming!
Old 03-31-2003, 08:36 PM

In my Tylenol Cold and Flu medicine induced slump, I forgot about Raybone's comment. Yup, I try and be as protedted as possible. I always wear my Joe Roket GPX gloves, and I have two jackets. My full leather is too hot right now. It's been in the 90's here lately. I've been sportin' my Joe Rocket .... Can't remember what it's called right now. Eh, It's the one with Perforated leather arms and mesh body with all the armor. I ALWAYS wear at least jeans ... I wear my leather pants if I'm hitting the canyons ... But it's too restrictive for stunting right now ... Maybe if they break ina little more. I have Alpinestars boots but ... I cant maneuver them around very well yet ... those things are still way too stiff. For now I'm just wearing Tan workboots. They are pliable enough to hit the brakes in a hurry! But, I don't plan on looping it ... Remember? :twelve
Old 04-01-2003, 02:59 PM
♠ Азик Жфдгот ♠

kingyeddi is an unknown quantity at this point
DAMN! That **** in the 1st post sounded pretty ruff!! But its good to hear youre improving. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2003, 04:28 PM

psyco650 is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry about the package thrashing bro!
my buddy has some of the same problems you do but i got no fixes for ya cause he dont care about stuntin much. he has a rf900r and when he clutches it to wheelie he leans into it and smashes his unit. i whacked my nuts just today when i missed 2nd and the bike came down way too hard.:twelve so dont worry about it too much just keep practiceing
Old 04-01-2003, 04:49 PM

shaun is an unknown quantity at this point
1) slip the clutch
dont just drop it
2)balance is way up there let it come up scare urself everytime youll get used to it youve been to eleven u can balance decent at 9
3)Leave ur right foot over the rear break but put ur left foot on the passenger peg.

Info on myself I have a 2002 ninja zx6r i can wheelie that biatch in 4th gear
i use 3 on the highway
and 2 on stunt roads and city stuntin
this is with stock gearing 3rd comes up with no problem or hesitation.
this is standing up i rarely do sit downs

also i looped a windscreen wheelie at the end of last summer right after i stopped sliding i got back on my bike i lucked out and didnt get hurt just a little rash on the back.
Anyways i got up and kept going dont think about past inncodents just keep going.

I a, also in the process of relearning stoppies i always used to look down at the cement.
I bring them up at 60 ride them for about 10 feet and thats all.
So i was told to look up when i roll them and usually when u do it the right way ull notice the difference right away which i did looked up an dlocked knee's to tank and my arms and im rollin solid stoppies now.

hope this helps
lata
shaun
Old 04-01-2003, 04:54 PM

shaun is an unknown quantity at this point
forgot to mention that im also 6 feet 280 pounds not fat work out alot some say it works against you i think it helps
Old 04-01-2003, 11:23 PM

I'd just like to start out by thanking all of you for your input. I'm soaking it up and trying my best to put all of it to good use. This week, all I've gotten for practice is the 7 miles each way to work so, it has been limited. However, I've been a bit more daring with 1st gear. I've been pulling it up at about 25 mph or so and trying to ride it out. Not far, just about 3 feet or so. I learned somthing new today. When going uphill, the front end just about shoots up! Oh man, I whacked first open and had to set it back down in a hurry. (Smashed my junk again!) I swear, I think I'm gonna start wearing a cup! Every day it's getting easier though. I'll get there ...
Old 04-02-2003, 01:49 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

-Rodger- is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by vampyre224
I tried to figure out what it was that I was doing wrong. I found that as the bike starts to come up ... I stay bent over and let the bike come up and meet me. In other words ... I can't seem to lean back with the bike. I think that might have somthing to do with another mishap I had years back
THATS YOUR PROBLEM. and everyone else i've seen try/learn/crash wheelies, 12's in paticular.

I SAY, learn 12's sitting down, then standing up w/ left foot on passanger pegs. LEARN THE BRAKE. it'll help a lot.

then you'll try a 2nd gear will feel natural.

word
Old 04-02-2003, 10:08 AM

cstmgsxr is an unknown quantity at this point
while we are on the subject, about endos, back in the day i used to put my foot between the tire and forks, but now on a bike with a motor, i have been trying to get the back wheel up forever, i go 40-50-60, give the front brack a good squeeze, but all i do is stop, im to scared to just squeeze the **** out of it in one whack, for fear of flipping forward, but i lock my knees, lean slightly forward, and kinda push back with my feet to try and lift the rear, but no luck, any sugestions????
Old 04-02-2003, 10:26 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

hessogood is an unknown quantity at this point
cstmgsxr,
Try locking your shoulders back and getting your nuts into the gas tank a bit more, get a good grip on it with you're legs, hit 50 or 60 and start pulling a little more break. Eventually you'll have the back comming up a little. I learned to give the seat a little bouce with my *** sometimes too which helps.

vampyre224,
As for wheelies, the best advice I ever got was simple. "Get your dick outta the gas tank" That's all it takes.

I'm just a begginer when it comes to both but this is what helped me get started.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:56 AM
I Love To Post!

Schwartz will become famous soon enough
Vamp224

Vamp224 Your killen me with your 1st story. Gotta love it when someones not affraid to laugh at themselfs. I can't count the times I have done **** like that.
For your wheelies I think what the main thing is is that you have to really want the front end to come up. By that I mean not be scared, or hesatent. There's like 12 things going on at the same time and a million different ways to use them all. RPM, Timeing your bounce, feathering your clutch, body postion, jerking the front end or not, speed your going. If you think everytime before you yank it up you really want this wheelie to come up watch what happens. You'll be writting back saying" Wheelies coming up to quick what should I do??"Oh and don't be a ***** with that clutch "let it go".
Key things Practice and saftey.
Good luck have fun.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:41 AM
I'm Getting Used to Posting

CBRORL is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by cstmgsxr
while we are on the subject, about endos, back in the day i used to put my foot between the tire and forks, but now on a bike with a motor, i have been trying to get the back wheel up forever, i go 40-50-60, give the front brack a good squeeze, but all i do is stop, im to scared to just squeeze the **** out of it in one whack, for fear of flipping forward, but i lock my knees, lean slightly forward, and kinda push back with my feet to try and lift the rear, but no luck, any sugestions????

I am not scared to squeeze the **** out of it but maybe thats my problem or maybe someone put an EJECTION button on my front brake. Because yesterday I went out on a little run, and as I was heading home attempted a little stoppie like i've done many times before. this time I was going for distance and tried to get the back end up quick. It came up quick alright threw me foward i nailed the ground the bike nailed me and all i could do was luagh. Im alright the bikes only got front and rear body damage from where it fliped. Frame sliders protected the sides. I got up picked up my mirrors put one in each back pocket made sure no one saw and hauled ***.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:57 PM

Things have been going pretty good. I seemed to have stopped stuffing my junk into the tank every time I come down. And, I have been letting the front down softer lately. (probably why I haven't squashed anything) I have laid off of second gear for now. I can't seem to get the timing right again. Not sure why. But, I have found that I can pull up 1st gear at about 15 mph and ride em'a little. I just need some Quality practice time. These 15 minute rides to work aren't cutting it. I still haven't thought of a decent place to practice either. There are just way too many cops around here and, parking lots are pretty small. I'm going huntin' for a spot on Sunday. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:32 AM

infamy is an unknown quantity at this point
1st bit of advice- put some padding on your tank so you stop stuffing your junk. remember the only thing better than a wheelie is sex.

and why are you clutching it? you shouldnt have to clutch it in 1st or second on your bike. just work on technique. i used to have a 1997 750 gsxr and thought it would never come up in 2nd. but all along i was doing it wrong. eventually it would come up 4 inches and i kept at it and before you know it i was riding them out at balance point and starting to lift them in 3rd with no clutch. dont even mess with 1st gear for now. just learn 2nd gears. if you learn the bounce/blip technique you'll eventually be able to lift them in 3rd on your bike w/o using the clutch. just keep trying and make sure you pay your insurance bill. good luck
Old 04-08-2003, 03:19 AM

Funny thing about that Infamy ... A friend of mine used to have an '01 GSXR. Every time I see him he asks how my "wheelie progress" is coming along. When I tell him that I STILL can't get 2nd up he laughs and asks what the hell is wrong with me! I told him I re-geared it one down ... he said I was NUTS! Eh, I figure I've got some timing issues or somthing. I wen't out to Angeles Crest this weekend. For those out of CA, It's highway 2. Finished some time in the late 50's or early 60's. It's a purley scenic road built in the mountains of L.A. county. (yes, it's not all concrete out here!) Anyways, it was closed and I ended up out in the high desert. Long straight roads with noooooooo cops around. I figured it was prime "practice realistate". That's when I found that altitude adversely affects available horsepower. Damn first gear wouldn't even pull up on its own at a full whack! I might be able to find some practice time on Saturday. And, as for the junk whacking, that has all but ceased. Cept' for this lil' piece of advice I might be able to offer other people ... DON'T WHEELIE OVER SPEED BUMPS! Damn ... that one did some damage! Maybe I'll save myself some cash on that vasectomy I was thinking of getting ... seeing as how kid #2 is due late June! Oh yah, one other funny thing that happened today, I was taking off from a light, and hit it HARD. I chopped first gear and popped it up no prob ... I think though, I was whacking the throttle back open just as I was hitting the crosswalk paint on the other end of the intersection. I spun the tire a bit and when it hooked up ... all I saw was sky! I didn't panic this time though ... just backed off a bit and set it down nice and easy. I think I might be making progress after all!