sprocket teeth sheared off, pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:36 PM

yowesq is an unknown quantity at this point
sprocket teeth sheared off, pics

I ride a 2001 yamaha fz1. When it had about 10k miles on the bike and stock chain, I changed sprockets (-1/+3), including a larger aluminum rear. I ran these sprockets about 7k+ miles. I clutch up every wheelie and I know it strains the bike in many ways, but I've never heard of sprockets taking this kind of beating. The 47t rear aluminum sunstar's teeth have been sheared completely off. Lately, when clutching it up, the chain would jump teeth, but I didn't know that's what the sound was (idiot!). Now, I'm swapping to -1/+8 and when I get the +3 off of there I noticed the teeth.

Why did this happen and how? I'm sure it's a combination of things such as old chain put on new sprockets, chain too loose for a bit, clutching up way too many wheelies, etc. But, have you seen this happen before?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	shearedoff.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	155635  
Old 10-19-2005, 01:42 PM

truestunna is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: sprocket teeth sheared off, pics

Smaller aluminum sprockets don't seem to hold up wheel, my vortex on my 600rr lasted 800 miles before it started taking teeth off. It also depends on the quality of the sprocket, with aluminum sprockets you have to watch your chain tension more closely as well and keep it adjusted properly. I have a +12 aluminum on my f3 and a +20 on my 929 and haven't has problems with either, bigger sprockets seem to be fine in aluminum just not the smaller ones.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:45 PM

is my 52 in your eyes a "smaller one" like the 47 was? I'm not hardcore stunter so I don't know how big is "big". I'm hoping that you'll tell me the 52 won't give me problems.

Nobody on the FZ1 forum knew a whole lot about this problem.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:50 PM

truestunna is an unknown quantity at this point

my f3 is a 55 and i beat on it quite a bit and haven't had problems, a 52 shouldn't be much different, what's the pitch btw? I run 530 on all my bikes
Old 10-19-2005, 01:53 PM

530 pitch
Old 10-19-2005, 02:19 PM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Only time I ever see that happen is from lack of chain adjustment. Aluminum sprockets wear faster and require more adjustment of the chain slack. Too tight and it'll wear out too loose and it'll do the same.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Only time I ever see that happen is from lack of chain adjustment. Aluminum sprockets wear faster and require more adjustment of the chain slack. Too tight and it'll wear out too loose and it'll do the same.
+1 your chain was jumping teeth.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Get-er-done

Kerns BBO is an unknown quantity at this point

I have done it too, chain was too loose and took the ends off of the teeth. Just keep it adjusted and everything will be ok.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:18 PM

eazenutz33 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've run it too tight and sheer ALL of the teeth off cause I never paid attention to them getting thin. Also, you SHOULD replace your chain when you replace sprockets, I know its expensive, and I rarely follow that!!! Phil with Moto-Heaven told me about having it too tight for wheelies, said I should set it around 2" of play if I'm constantly riding wheelies.....factory says 1-1/4" for my 600RR