You guys use handbrakes? Couple more questions too

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 11:18 AM

Custom GT is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys use handbrakes? Couple more questions too

Ok im tired of doing fast wheelies, I want to start doing slow ones in parking lots.

Do you guys recommend a rear hand brake? Figured i could run steel lines if I did this setup when I made/bought it....

I want a scrape bar, not a flat one, a round one. Do they make these anywhere, I got a 954.

Racing 905 or Freestyle INtegrity cage???

Thoughts on dirtbike bars?

I got -1 up front, will that be fine for slow wheelies?

been reading on here for 2 hours now....

thanks,
matt
Old 10-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: You guys use handbrakes? Couple more questions too

Originally Posted by Custom GT
Ok im tired of doing fast wheelies, I want to start doing slow ones in parking lots.

Do you guys recommend a rear hand brake? Figured i could run steel lines if I did this setup when I made/bought it....

I want a scrape bar, not a flat one, a round one. Do they make these anywhere, I got a 954.

Racing 905 or Freestyle INtegrity cage???

Thoughts on dirtbike bars?

I got -1 up front, will that be fine for slow wheelies?

been reading on here for 2 hours now....

thanks,
matt
Don't get a hand brake right off the bat, learn without it at first.

J-Beats bar from racing 905 is what you are looking for.

Personal preference

Don't like dirtbike bars.

You are going to want a lot more sprocket than that.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:32 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

jowalskiMO is an unknown quantity at this point

learn bp wheelies stock before you change anything. flat bar is gonna be better for learning slows. you can park it and not have the bike fall over. put a stock front sprocket on. dirtbike bars are gay. keep it street and stock as possible... as far as hand brake, learn engine brake first. getting a handbrake first thing aint gonna teach you anything. and remember!@!!!! rear brakes are your friend!!!!!!.......
Old 10-17-2005, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by jowalskiMO
learn bp wheelies stock before you change anything. flat bar is gonna be better for learning slows. you can park it and not have the bike fall over. put a stock front sprocket on. dirtbike bars are gay. keep it street and stock as possible... as far as hand brake, learn engine brake first. getting a handbrake first thing aint gonna teach you anything. and remember!@!!!! rear brakes are your friend!!!!!!.......
Yea i need to unbend mine from one of my wrecks, someone told Jonesy to extend his rear brake pedal out farther if he was having trouble reaching it. I think I may do that...

Do you have stock sprockets on yours? I was just wanting a curved 12 bar just in case/when I hit at an angle i wont wreck as easy...what do you think?

ps....your circle wheelies looked pretty good
Old 10-17-2005, 02:46 PM

holy smokes. i didnt see that it was one of you guys... i just posted up..hahahahah no, my bike is not geared stock, but if you cant ride a standup at bp relatively slow, using brake control, dont gear yet. The way to learn that i feel is the best, is to learn stock gears, and then gear down. If you have never scraped, and need to be learning slows, then you need to get a flat bar, learning slows, you will set it on the bar, and its not like you are gonna be flying, so chances are it will just sit on the bar. with a round bar, it would probably fall over. The reasons to get a round bar goes as follows: you dont like bar tricks, rarely hit a bar normally, and hate having a regular bar there to chop off your head on a looped endo. definately learn slows with a flat bar. did you know that guy that got smoked on the highway???
Old 10-17-2005, 02:49 PM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

custom gt were you at the harley show on saturday?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:49 PM
B.T.M.

crtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to behold

jowalski just about said it all... all the gearing, hb, bars and other **** won't teach u, once you learn, your talent can help you once you get a hb, and gearing.. but learn stock, that's where it's at.. then everything else comes easier.. and fvck it , scrape tail not bar
Old 10-17-2005, 03:08 PM

Z-UNIT is an unknown quantity at this point

if get hb and keep ur idel down...learn to cover the hb with ur middle finger, and use it to teach ur sefl engien brake..jsut go higher till u let off the throttle and it goes back not foreward...do this ull learn where the biek balances, were it revs out, were it slows down, etc....my hb taught me engine brake lbetter than gearing and riding with other riders ever did..once u figure it out u wont even touch tthe thing, ull ba able to slwo spreader and ss etc down, without eve thinking about, and ull only use the hb for scrapes, or if u **** uppp....good lcuk
Old 10-17-2005, 03:27 PM

SCOTT_Chychul has a little shameless behaviour in the past

here is my 2 cents on this matter.... I think gearing has nothing to do but with the speed your bike is going when you are ridding it on idle.. The principle of slowing it down is the same on stock as it is on higher gearing.. The only thing its that with bigger sprockets your choppyness when your learning is going to be mutliplied.. Sooo learn on stock.. learn how to drop the rpms untill your ilde is carrying the wheelie.. People say that its harder to stall with bigger sprockets but thats not really true, its just the speed that you stall at is alot slower.. Dont get an handbrake untill your going to work on seatstander circles or 5 or six trick combo's because you dont want to get dependent on it.. Besides tricks earn more respect when you do it without a handbrake.. Sooo in conclusion... LOL... **** the handbrake... crank up the idle to 3500 come to a dead stop and start popin it up and get comfortable with the rear brake.. its easier to learn going slow then it is to be going 100mph down the highway and realise you didnt hit the brake when you should have. Practice and saddle time is the only way your going to get it. SO fu(k the handbrake and gearing, just go ride....
Old 10-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by SCOTT_Chychul
here is my 2 cents on this matter.... I think gearing has nothing to do but with the speed your bike is going when you are ridding it on idle.. The principle of slowing it down is the same on stock as it is on higher gearing.. The only thing its that with bigger sprockets your choppyness when your learning is going to be mutliplied.. Sooo learn on stock.. learn how to drop the rpms untill your ilde is carrying the wheelie.. People say that its harder to stall with bigger sprockets but thats not really true, its just the speed that you stall at is alot slower.. Dont get an handbrake untill your going to work on seatstander circles or 5 or six trick combo's because you dont want to get dependent on it.. Besides tricks earn more respect when you do it without a handbrake.. Sooo in conclusion... LOL... **** the handbrake... crank up the idle to 3500 come to a dead stop and start popin it up and get comfortable with the rear brake.. its easier to learn going slow then it is to be going 100mph down the highway and realise you didnt hit the brake when you should have. Practice and saddle time is the only way your going to get it. SO fu(k the handbrake and gearing, just go ride....
...and don't turn up the idle, it's a bad habit that is hard to get rid of. Trust me I know.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:30 PM

The principle of slowing it down is the same on stock as it is on higher gearing..
ur kidding right?!?! lets take an example here say u have +18 if ur at bp trying to slow it down, u go past and keep the throttle cracked jstu a lil and the rpms will drop as u let off, if u do that with stock when u let off the rpms will drop alot and the bike will "float" and chances are when u float and ur off the throttle its going to come backwards...and ur gonig to flip..(refering to off peg wheelies) so no the concept is not the same not even close
Old 10-17-2005, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Z-UNIT
ur kidding right?!?! lets take an example here say u have +18 if ur at bp trying to slow it down, u go past and keep the throttle cracked jstu a lil and the rpms will drop as u let off, if u do that with stock when u let off the rpms will drop alot and the bike will "float" and chances are when u float and ur off the throttle its going to come backwards...and ur gonig to flip..(refering to off peg wheelies) so no the concept is not the same not even close
Your wrong... I dont know how you slow wheelies down but i bring it up to balance with stock or +18 and start ridding the brake... I dont give it a little gas while i do that.. whats the point of being on the gas and the brake at the same time... Its kinda like doing a coaster.. your on the brake but not hard enough to bring it back to balance point.. And then when you let off the brake and the wheelie is going just by idle you have slowed it down.. From there all you do is give it minor imputs of either gas or brake to keep it at balance at that speed... Simple.. The only difference is that with a 18+ sprocket that speed is going to be a mile or 2 an hour slower.. No big deal..
Old 10-17-2005, 06:46 PM

f4stunna is a decent person

Your wrong... I dont know how you slow wheelies down but i bring it up to balance with stock or +18 and start ridding the brake... I dont give it a little gas while i do that.. whats the point of being on the gas and the brake at the same time... Its kinda like doing a coaster.. your on the brake but not hard enough to bring it back to balance point.. And then when you let off the brake and the wheelie is going just by idle you have slowed it down.. From there all you do is give it minor imputs of either gas or brake to keep it at balance at that speed... Simple.. The only difference is that with a 18+ sprocket that speed is going to be a mile or 2 an hour slower.. No big deal..

umm, he's talking about slowing down a wheelie with just gas, no brake at all. its called ENGINE BRAKE. learn it.... thats where having the bigger gears comes into play. the more gearing, the more engine brake.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:19 PM

maybe i didnt read that right then,,, ya you need bigger sprockets for better engine braking thats for sure. My bad.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by DoodleF4i
custom gt were you at the harley show on saturday?
yea, you are very good also.
How long have u been stunting?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:11 PM

catach42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jowalskiMO
The reasons to get a round bar goes as follows: you dont like bar tricks, rarely hit a bar normally, and hate having a regular bar there to chop off your head on a looped endo. definately learn slows with a flat bar.
round bars kick *** for scraping everything. bar tricks are obviously out but hc scrapes and such are easy
Old 10-18-2005, 10:15 PM

tahts not the bar, thats the hb as we proved
Old 10-19-2005, 03:11 AM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

Custom GT: yep the stock gearing is fine, just put -1 front. It's smooth to learn. you can learn the brake stuff with that. And get it rolling real slow with that too.

About the brake pedal. I dropped my 954 and the pedal bent, so it's more out from the side of the bike then stock. it's much better. It's always there when you need it. And you need it all the time.

Get a cage. Generators ain't cheap.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:37 AM

Cool, I already got -1 sprocket on so perfect.

Think im going to order a cage right now...time to search

my rear brake bent in toward the swingarm then the foot part bent in too. The rear brake doesnt grab like it should, you have to pounce on it to make it lock up pretty much. I need to take it apart and see whats up...do those steel brake lines help alot?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:21 PM

not so much on the rear.....bleed your line good, and install good pads....i run HH's for HB purposes....make sure your rotor is good.... catach.....i know all about the round bar.... i got one and i ****ing love that thing.........

Quick Reply: You guys use handbrakes? Couple more questions too