Newbie wheelie question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 11:35 PM

macd7919 is an unknown quantity at this point
Newbie wheelie question

Hey whats up everyone, ok here's the deal. I'm a newb so take it easy on the flaming at least let me get 10 posts first, lol. Anyways, I have been trying to do stand ups on my 04 gixxer 1000 and just can't get it. I can do sit downs fine but I can't carry them much further than what I can power through in first gear. I know my problem is probably not getting to the balance point from what I have read on other posts. It just seems like it's way far back (high) I get to the point where I feel that uneasy feeling that the bike is tipping backwards if you can identify with what I mean. I have tried scooting back in the seat a little bit and that def. helps but I'm still not rockin them forever like most of you guys. I have tried standups and they just feel super awkward. This may be a stupid question but do you guys stand up befor you start getting the bike up? I have tried the foot on the rear peg method, other foot covering the brake and it feels really awkward also. I'm a big guy (about 260), some of you will say lose weight I'm sure and I'm working on it but ****! I want to ride wheelies now, haha. Anyways, any tips would be great! Also one more thing, I have tried to clutch it up in first standing and the rear tire just spins, bike may come up a little but i get mostly wheelspin, so again any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:50 AM
JB

JB is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Newbie wheelie question

practice practice practice. and then practice some more. and get a mate to film u. what ur feeling is always different to what u look like IMO. and always cover that rear brake. hope this helps. my
Old 10-07-2005, 03:00 AM

aw0n0 can only hope to improve

some people stand up and then wheelie, some people do it both at the same time, whatever feels right for you bro, just keep practicing and take it slow.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:07 AM

jg101 is an unknown quantity at this point

just keep practicing the stand ups stagered stance try to be smother on throttle and clutch pop. i was in the same boat about 2 weeks ago but i keept at the stand up stagered stances tell i got it felt hella funky at first to me too but know its all i do, cause know im in and out of Bp rippin about 1/2 mile weelies its a good fellin, just take ur time and stick with it it will come. :YEAH
Old 10-07-2005, 09:07 AM

Brian V is an unknown quantity at this point

Fvck losing weight!! im 300 plus and dont have no problems.LoL Try standing then clutch the **** out of it!!!!!!!(works every time) Trust me.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:22 PM

Well i went out today and tried some sit downs clutching it up in 2nd, worked out pretty well, I want to get the whole bp thing down before i try stand up i guess. How do you know when you hit the bp? Is it normal to get a feeling that you are way back even before you hit the bp? For instance, when i bring it up in 1st I can go as high as I want of course but sometimes when i go up I feel like I get an uneasy feeling, like I'm about to loop out, now is this normal and should i go further? or have I gone too far, I'm def. not a 12 o'clock or anything, I know it is probably hard to describe the feeling of being at bp but give it a shot guys! thanks!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:43 PM

Sparks! is an unknown quantity at this point

It's natural to be scared mate, you're learning something new.. just keep it smooth, practice lots, don't push tooo much too fast.. take it easy, have fun, practice some more, gradually it'll become easier, you'll go higher/longer/do stand ups/other tricks etc...

There's no rush, just take it steady,try not to crash and have fun.

It's what I'm doing and I've gone from barely being able to wheely to a foot away from scraping the number plate, in less than a month Just keep at it.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:12 PM

UNIDENTIFIED is an unknown quantity at this point

dont worrie so much about the rear break, your on a sportbike if your trying to hit bp and you feel as though your going over, lett off teh throttle and have teh engine break help you... my lever on my bike is ****ed and i never cover it and i have actually been behind teh ballance point a couple times , not to far but its not as important on a sportbike as you think it is... if you doinging sitdowns rock teh throttle hard untill your gauges are about 6 inches under your eyelevel, then slowly ease off of it untill you are only making minor throttle ajustments to carry it, when u get it to bp, your not going to be able to see past your bike and you can let off and on and the road infront of you never apperse. you should be stairing inbetween your ganuges and your gascap somehwhere, once you get there wrap your head to one side of your bike and watch teh road!!! lmao.. well, i dunno about a 1000 in 2nd gear, i do mine in 1st gear on a 600 but im betting for teh most part it will be teh same other than your ballance point will be lower. have FUN! dont worrie so much, you get teh feeling, put teh bike down, eventually the feelign will go away and you will be comefy. goodluck
Old 10-07-2005, 08:54 PM

Ok, so I went out a practiced some more. The guide of looking about 6in from the gauges, that kind of gave me an idea of how high to get it. I got it up high a bunch of times but i dont think I was at the bp as I was having to give it gas to keep it up, there were a couple times I let off a little b/c it felt like it wanted to stay up but as soon as I did it wanted to come down. So I'm going to keep practicing, well i have already made progress as these are def. higher up than my past attempts, I guess I just have to work on getting it a little higher so i can maintain speed and ride it. I also tried a "stand up" sort of with my left foot on the back peg and right on the "front" peg. I got it up and help it pretty far, not in the bp just powered it, but it's gonna be awhile before I can bring one of those up high, lol, thanks guys, appreciate the tips keep em coming!
Old 10-08-2005, 02:45 AM

jg101 is an unknown quantity at this point

i used to think sit downs were ezer but i m tellin you bro its ezer to learn bp in stand ups you dont feel like your going to fall backwords have someone recored you doing those sit downs bet you got alot higer to go once i saw myself on tape i was like dam i can go so much higher when it felt like i was way up there i really wasnt. practice those stand up stagered stances for a couple of hrs and soon youll be way up there feelin pretty comfy
Old 10-08-2005, 04:43 AM

Sparks! is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I say cover the rear brake from the start, if you do it from the very first wheelies then it'll become second nature and you'll learn brake control quicker simply because you don't have to train yourself to cover the brake before actually using it.

Cover the rear brake from the start, you're foot will automatically be there every wheely so when you're good enough to learn brake control you're set to go

Just my 2 cents worth anywya.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:58 AM
JB

JB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sparks!
Personally I say cover the rear brake from the start, if you do it from the very first wheelies then it'll become second nature and you'll learn brake control quicker simply because you don't have to train yourself to cover the brake before actually using it.

Cover the rear brake from the start, you're foot will automatically be there every wheely so when you're good enough to learn brake control you're set to go

Just my 2 cents worth anywya.

+1 regardless if u use the rear brake for power wheelies or not. if u can train urself to have a steady throttle and rear brake control now u will thank urself later and prolly save urself looping. power wheelies u can chase all day. try to get ur throttle and brake happening. it will take time but be patient with it bro. it will prolly just click one day and u will be wondering y u couldnt do it before. my hope this helps. ride safe
Old 10-08-2005, 03:31 PM

Tdeal28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jg101
i used to think sit downs were ezer but i m tellin you bro its ezer to learn bp in stand ups you dont feel like your going to fall backwords have someone recored you doing those sit downs bet you got alot higer to go once i saw myself on tape i was like dam i can go so much higher when it felt like i was way up there i really wasnt. practice those stand up stagered stances for a couple of hrs and soon youll be way up there feelin pretty comfy

+1 to that......stand up's are so much easier to learn, IMO. You can feel balance point so much easier. While standing you don't really lean back if you know what I mean. When you sit and the front comes up your body (since you are sitting on the seat) will tip backwards at the same opposite angle as the front of the bike is coming up. This makes it feel like you are going over much sooner, faster and easier than if you were standing. I am no pro by no means, and I will admit that I still can't ride a wheelie sitting down at BP. But, stand ups are much easier....
Old 10-08-2005, 04:35 PM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macd7919
Also one more thing, I have tried to clutch it up in first standing and the rear tire just spins, bike may come up a little but i get mostly wheelspin,
cold tires, not dumping the clutch propertly...but what helps with popin it up from a dead stop is bouncing the pegs as you pop it up...that way you prepare your suspension for easier come up (compress rear and prolong the front forks) and put extra preassure on rear wheel, and therefore having more grip (no spin), bringing it up faster, having more rpms to play with...of course this is for standups/staggered (which I recommend)...
Old 10-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Embrace the Hate

EZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to behold

the 03-04 1000 has a real high bp.....remember to learn back away from the bike and cover that brake!!
Old 10-08-2005, 06:45 PM

K, the rear brake thing I have to work on, I just tend to ride with my feet back on the pegs so I need to conciously (spelling?) move them forward, all these tips are great, they are def. helping me out!