how to tell if a fame is bent (cbr 900)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 09:09 PM

xr fiddy is an unknown quantity at this point
how to tell if a fame is bent (cbr 900)

this may sound stupid but i was just wondering if there is a trick to telling if a frame is bent besides just looking cause i no where i can get a real good deal on 96 cbr 900 that was wrecked and i was thinkin of fixen it up for my first bike im only 15 so i dont no that much so any replies would help out
Old 09-28-2005, 10:39 PM

jeffy0630 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: how to tell if a fame is bent (cbr 900)

well usually if people dont like u anymore u know ur fame is either bent or broken now to tell if ur frame is bent ur almost gonna have to take it somewhere also if it is u sohuld notice things that normally wouldnt be touchin in places touchin on the frame and things might not track normally....ur prob gonna have 2 take it somewhere to have it looked at.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Mof Diver

mofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant future

You'd have to take it to a frame shop to be 100 percent sure if you think it may be bentt.

Just did a quick search and found these guys

http://www.gpframeandwheel.com/services.html
Old 09-29-2005, 12:25 AM
AGGRESSION!

E-DUB OM is a decent person

i got a 96 CBR900 with clean title. Its a stuntbike already. Needs a few parts but Im not asking much for it. Let me know if your interested.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:25 AM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to a Honda shop, get the specs on a frame, and strip everything off your bike. You are going to need a micrometer and a damn accurate tape measure. Your tolerance is only a tenth of an inch. My frame has a ding in the side of it, but its still good... its in by about 3 one thousands of an inch, but its still in good shape. Measure all major bends and points on the frame. Also, when you get your bike completely apart.. I mean take the motor out and everything, when a bike is stripped you'll generally be able to see if the frame is REALLY tweaked just by eyeballing it. Good luck
Old 09-29-2005, 09:47 AM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

drive the bike, if it goes straight when driving without hadns on flat road(no camber). It's straight. If it doesn't it' gay.:D
Old 09-29-2005, 01:14 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Are 900s notorious for bending? I know they crack, but they seem too brittle to bend
Old 09-29-2005, 01:44 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

mikem is right. doubt that it is bent. the newer bikes bend frames cuz they are light, thin, and weak,...plus the forks on the new bikes are inverted with more rigidity...buy it.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:47 PM

thanks for all the replys

just found out today that a guy was drunk and running from the cops and he hit a house doin about 60 i also recieved pics today and the bike still looks actually good the front in is totalled but everything else looks decent but with that kind of impact i think the frame had to bend a lil what do u guys think
Old 09-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

bought a 900rr with forks smashed in so bad that they crushed the radiator and header. hit a guardrail. no frame problems. unlikely that it is bent. look at the neck area closely
Old 09-29-2005, 02:54 PM

thanks teach im gunna buy it im gettin a real good deal and if worst comes to worst i will spend the money and time on a new frame
Old 09-29-2005, 03:33 PM

SAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

the owner of GMD Computrack in Arlington, Tx. told me to check the way the gas tank sits on the bike. Look at the gap between the frame and tank. Make sure the gap is even all around the bike.