How to slow wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 10:40 PM

GSXRoller420 is an unknown quantity at this point
How to slow wheelie

Ive been practicing popping it up to 12 but when it gets there i am clueless as to whats to do next, and also are you guys using the brake as you are getting it to bp

thanks
Old 09-24-2005, 11:07 PM

SlitZ is a decent person
Re: How to slow wheelie

nope no brakes...redline the bike, drop the clutch and let it roll

seriously tho... dont do that... if you say your gettin around 12 then you must know the brake is needed....
Old 09-25-2005, 04:55 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SlitZ
seriously tho... dont do that... if you say your gettin around 12 then you must know the brake is needed....
that's what I don't get too...

but I assume you just think you'r at 12...get someone to tape you and you'll see what's up and where you standing at...

when I started to try to wheelie, it was pow pow of course, and when I saw pics of me that my friend took, I was full of **** how he can't take a good photo cuz on every photo I was either bringin it up or putin it down - all of the pics were 1 footers....and later when I saw vid of myself I realized that is as high as I went
Old 09-25-2005, 05:38 AM

speed2dirt is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the phrase "12 o'clock" is misused often. It doesn't simply mean a high wheelie. It means having the f-ing bike straight up and down. Sure I can roll one high past BP for a long time, but haven't been able to 12. I doubt this guy can too (no offense).

P.S. There should be a stunt dictionary. I mean, having so many tricks it's impossible to remember what they're all called. I just make my own names up and pretend like I invented the trick. haha!
Old 09-25-2005, 11:35 AM

SlitZ is a decent person

the best way to no if your at 12 is if your slowing down quick.... if your at about 12, and not scraping yet then your pretty heavy on the brakes coasting... you should know when your there. O and once you get behind BP the bink tends to sway a lot more... or at least it does for me
Old 09-25-2005, 11:46 AM

Halliwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by speed2dirt
P.S. There should be a stunt dictionary. I mean, having so many tricks it's impossible to remember what they're all called. I just make my own names up and pretend like I invented the trick. haha!
Thought I saw someone on here that had a link to one in the sig. but I didn't check it out.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:38 PM

jeffy0630 is an unknown quantity at this point

they do have one.... www.stuntlife.com its in the menu bar
Old 09-25-2005, 06:49 PM

FerstlerSlim is an unknown quantity at this point

What gear do you guys do your 12's at?

Dave
Old 09-25-2005, 07:31 PM

SlitZ is a decent person

2nd .
Old 09-25-2005, 07:47 PM

What is your sprocket combo?

Dave
Old 09-25-2005, 07:56 PM

aw0n0 can only hope to improve

2nd .

WHAT? you mean your not doing em in 6th!?
Old 09-25-2005, 08:53 PM

SlitZ is a decent person

Originally Posted by aw0n0
WHAT? you mean your not doing em in 6th!?

what? the guy asked me a question, so i answered....

ive only been ridin streetbikes 1 month my whole life so im not rockin super slow yet, usually around 10mph in 2nd at around 3-4k
and my gearing is -1 +10
Old 09-25-2005, 09:22 PM
life is good......BRAAAP!

-nelson will become famous soon enough

depending onwhat you have for gearing ,mines +30 turn your idle up ,i set it at 3gs put the bike in first,if youre comfortable with sit-downs hold the rear brake and with one or two fingers on the clutch slip it and snap the throttle so the bike catches the idle and you can control the height of the wheelie with the back brake pressing hard and soft ,but giving smooth steady throttle imputs. youll know your at the b/p when the bike feels like its going over backward, its wobbelly, (take alot of air out of your rear) and the bikes still going on the idle with little or no throttle imput ,i find the easiest way to gauge the height while im at the point is to keep the forks level like a table butyou kneed to go past the point some and just be on the brake to slow it up,well i hope this helps man,, good luck
Old 09-25-2005, 10:08 PM

I think my choppy throttle control is my problem but i cant fix it. I bounce in and out of PB then wobble and have to set it down. The R1 (-1 , +14) has to go in favor of something i really dont give a **** about crashing hard.

Dave
Old 09-25-2005, 11:03 PM

SlitZ is a decent person

yea i know what you mean... im still workin on slow stuff, i wobble like crazy sometimes.. other times i can slow it down to around 5mph and go straight.. a trick i do to keep it straight is to pop it up to BP and take my hand of the throttle and hold onto the brake resi, then use the brake/idle to ride BP... works for me

my problem is no practice, onlyride time i get is on my way to school... no where to ride around here
Old 09-25-2005, 11:50 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by FerstlerSlim
I think my choppy throttle control is my problem but i cant fix it. I bounce in and out of PB then wobble and have to set it down. The R1 (-1 , +14) has to go in favor of something i really dont give a **** about crashing hard.

Dave
Hold your hand still and work the rear brake only.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:07 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

what? the guy asked me a question, so i answered....

ive only been ridin streetbikes 1 month my whole life so im not rockin super slow yet, usually around 10mph in 2nd at around 3-4k
and my gearing is -1 +10
I thought you were joking when you said 2nd...seriously dude, do it in 1st, alot more engine braking to play with. I know hows with not havin a place to ride. Before I learned slow stuff I practically haven't had a place or abandoned road, just small lots, scoolyards and ****, and I shure couldn't practice my 2nd gear wheelies on schoolyard hehe...
Old 09-26-2005, 09:58 AM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NINER
Hold your hand still and work the rear brake only.
good advice!!
this was keeping me from progressing for a while.
I had to seriously think about keeping my throttle hand still otherwise I would catch myself compensating with the throttle then tapping the brake, then I would start see sawing back N fourth. Man that **** used to **** me off!!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:53 PM

richierokit is an unknown quantity at this point

when I learned wheelies, it was all fast stuff, and the trick was throttle control to keep it under control, and rear brake as a safety. Once I started learning the slow stuff the goal was the opposite! Throttle dead nuts steady, and a rear brake for control, only using the throttle if i hit too much rear brake to get the front bake up, then steady throttle and all rear brake again for control. It took a little to retrain my brain, but now I'm rocking the idle at like 3000-3500 rpm and no throttle hand!!! This is a shitty answer, but here's the trick!!!! PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! until you get it you wont understand, once you do, it's a piece of cake! good luck and be safe!
Old 09-26-2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by richierokit
when I learned wheelies, it was all fast stuff, and the trick was throttle control to keep it under control, and rear brake as a safety. Once I started learning the slow stuff the goal was the opposite! Throttle dead nuts steady, and a rear brake for control, only using the throttle if i hit too much rear brake to get the front bake up, then steady throttle and all rear brake again for control. It took a little to retrain my brain, but now I'm rocking the idle at like 3000-3500 rpm and no throttle hand!!! This is a shitty answer, but here's the trick!!!! PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! until you get it you wont understand, once you do, it's a piece of cake! good luck and be safe!
This is exactly where i am man, thanks. What rpm should i bring my Idle up to for a "beginner" first step?

Dave

Quick Reply: How to slow wheelie