f4i question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 08:25 AM

Rodyowen is an unknown quantity at this point
f4i question

so saturday i went and picked up an f4i. yesterday morning i went and messed around on it a little bit and everything was fine. then last night i went to messed around again. well about thirty minutes into the second session, the front fairing broke in half. so i fightered the bike and kept going. i started noticing that the bike started dying for no reason. then after riding a little longer, it would start but wouldnt stay running. so i got it to run again did one more wheelie, and as i brought it down, the bike died. now the bike wont turn over, and the fuel pump is not even kicking on. does anyone have any ideas or had this problem before? please help, i wanna get back on this bike.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:24 AM

dizzyloc1122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: f4i question

I was going to say that its your tipover sensor but then mine would still turnover. First get your crank to turn over, battery or stuff like that then jump your tipover sensor. The tipover sensor will not let you fuel pump and ignition coils fire.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:42 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

+1 on the TOS
Old 09-19-2005, 10:47 AM

wheres the tip over sensor? what color wires? there was 2 little relay looking things up by the headlight, and one had a green wire that had been cut. is that it?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:49 AM

louisvillerider is a decent person

sounds like a wireing problem (or a relay)...check to see if you're getting power to your fuel pump, and your starter.... IM SURE you allready checked fuses, so i won't tell you to do that
Old 09-19-2005, 11:44 AM

yeah fuses was the first check. lol
Old 09-19-2005, 12:49 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Rodyowen
wheres the tip over sensor? what color wires? there was 2 little relay looking things up by the headlight, and one had a green wire that had been cut. is that it?
I dont remember the details

use the search button up there^^ you'll find a plethora of inforative threads about it

Would you say I have a plethora?
Old 09-19-2005, 01:14 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

Did u check all the normal power stuff - battery voltage & that the stator is charging it?
Is the fi light coming on at all ?
When it died did it completely shutoff or sputter out?
Does the computer reset after it dies (i.e. does the clock set itself back to 1am) ...
Old 09-19-2005, 01:19 PM

sbc967 is an unknown quantity at this point

the TOS has three wires green, red, white. cut them and put the red and green together. just tape off the white. you don't need it. check the fuse on the side of the fuse box. I think it has a white cover.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:00 PM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

Start with Battery. Have your battery tested, even new batteries go bad. Then check your Stator. Take off your stator cover and make sure the dude that sold it to you didn't do a hack job fixing the stator. Believe me, my stator is soldered and jb welded right now... its holding but who knows how long. After that, do fix your Tip Over Sensor... those things suck *****. Red and Green go together, white stays open. After that, check all connections and make sure you have no exposed wires that could arc or ground out. After that, if none of that works... tie that B I T C H to the bumper of a truck and run it into every god damn light pole you can find. (But put full coverage on it first so you can get your money back)
Old 09-19-2005, 05:08 PM

Borne is a jewel in the roughBorne is a jewel in the roughBorne is a jewel in the rough

If you fightered the bike and unhooked the front wire harness, the bike will not run. Figured that out on mine when I got it. Plug it in the bike runs fine, unplug it and the fuel pump doesn't work. Its probably something to do with the tip over sensor, gauges or something (more likely the TOS).

Try to run your wiring back throught the harness and try to hook power back up to the TOS outlet.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:59 PM

ok, i checked the battery - 12 volts.
all fuses good
TOS bypassed, front harness plugged in
key on, push starter button
still got nothing
i can cross the starter relay, and it cranks, but still no fuel pump.
for some reason im not getting power out of the battery to the start button.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:50 PM
N/A

Ditch the start button and go back to a key start. If you have one laying around... thats where I'd go with that.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:55 PM

i think i'm gonna check the ignition tomorrow, can't think of anything else that would keep me from getting power to everything.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:56 PM

BigBalla is an unknown quantity at this point

big scott, brando and I had the same problem.

brandon's bro ray told me he replaced the ignition because the diode was broken (little tiny diode at the bottom).

mine started doin it right after i flipped a stoppie (at the end), after about a month my bike just sorta fixed itself.

big scott still has the problem.... go figure!

Take farley's advice.. check EVERYTHING electrical!
Old 09-19-2005, 11:25 PM

catach42 is an unknown quantity at this point

ive actually seen a wire come off the inside of the on/off switch, same symptoms
Old 09-19-2005, 11:33 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

+1 what Balla said ... I had an intermittent problem a month ago ... i would hit the start button and all power to the bike would die as soon as I hit that button, give it a few minutes or push start it and everything was fine .... hasn't done it for a few weeks ... all electrical checked out fine so I know its gotta be a short somewhere in ignition button ....
Old 09-20-2005, 12:23 AM

mine wont push start. its like it has no power coming from the battery to the key. im gonna check some more tomorrow. i already took apart the on/off swithch and checked the wires, i had that problem on my f3 once. all wires were good. i think im gonna find a way to bypass the whole key ignition. we will see what happens tomorrow. thanks for the help, anything else you can thing of, keep it coming.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:38 AM

Bill McMahon is a decent person

I don't know that bypassing the ignition is the best way to go as the little diode in the ignition changes a voltage value so that the computer knows the ignition is actually turned on, rather than just hot wired before the ignition. On the 98-99 cbr 900's this in turn allows the coils to fire. Yours may be similiar.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:11 AM
N/A

I don't know if F4i's have them or not, but if your regulator rectifier goes bad you'll experience the same symptoms in some cases. My brothers F2 had the reg. rectifier go bad and it wouldn't charge, push start, nothin... it was as if it just went dead. But again, I don't know if F4i's do???

Quick Reply: f4i question