How to get a practice spot???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:01 AM

jonld2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How to get a practice spot???

Ive had state, city, and county say that. Have had accidents on private land and the cops dont do ****. Wont even right a report. Read your state laws. Thats the problem with most of you guys as well as everyone else on the street is you dont research the stuff yourself and so you get screwed in court.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:49 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

Aldo cops around do what they like, have little powers but they abuse them totaly, they know that private is private when we speak about riding surfaces/areas, and no cop can do **** to you if you are riding on private property. I mean, he can, but you can complain and if it comes to court you are 100% safe.

The story is on the other hand totaly different if we talk about some other stuff like inspectors when they abuse their powers if they even suspect you have drugs or something - on this field they are gods, and if you **** with them they can easily scam some drugs to you and say they found it in your possesion, and on court judge will of course believe more to two cops then one offender...this was just an example
Old 09-07-2005, 02:52 PM

Kelly. is an unknown quantity at this point

unless the lot is closed off from the public (ie, caution tape, cones etc..) a "private" lot is still considered "private property, public use" .
the cops can still give 3 different tickets on private property/public use.
they can give:
careless driving
wreckless driving
dui

all this info is coming from cops that i have talked to after they have kicked us out of our spots.
they say the best way to do it, is to find a lot. close it off with caution tape (~$8) (which makes it "private property/private use" (similar to a racetrack.. where you can not be ticketed)
if/when the cops show up, tell them you have permission from the owner. but let them know you will leave until you have written permission.

then go back and do the same thing the next night. its unlikely the exact same cop will show up.

there is no fool proof way around it, but what i posted above has worked for us for awhile.

good luck

edit*** this applies to colorado springs cops. you shoudl talk to the cops in your area about this "private property/public use" laws in your area.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:38 AM

johnnyrotten is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kelly.
unless the lot is closed off from the public (ie, caution tape, cones etc..) a "private" lot is still considered "private property, public use" .
the cops can still give 3 different tickets on private property/public use.
they can give:
careless driving
wreckless driving
dui

all this info is coming from cops that i have talked to after they have kicked us out of our spots.
they say the best way to do it, is to find a lot. close it off with caution tape (~$8) (which makes it "private property/private use" (similar to a racetrack.. where you can not be ticketed)
if/when the cops show up, tell them you have permission from the owner. but let them know you will leave until you have written permission.

then go back and do the same thing the next night. its unlikely the exact same cop will show up.

there is no fool proof way around it, but what i posted above has worked for us for awhile.

good luck

edit*** this applies to colorado springs cops. you shoudl talk to the cops in your area about this "private property/public use" laws in your area.
Well i live 45 miles from springs but as for my town in canon the cops can issue no ticket on private property unless the owner wans you to get one, guess springs is different? I t boned a car in wal mart and the manager did nt want to get involved ie loose a customer i gues, so neither of us got a ticket granted there was very little damage but that cop **** himself when he could nt give lil old law breaker(me) a ticket.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:06 AM
dzl

dzl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GSE_Anthony
Actually even on private property like an industrail parking lot, unless YOU own the private property, you can still be given tickets for things like reckless driving and stuff like that. Sucks, but it's true. Most cops aren't going to go to that length to bust your chops, but there are definetly the few that will.
That varies from state to state. I know in Washington that the they'll give you a tresspassing infraction if you come back but thats it. They can't do anything on private property to you UNTIL you endanger other people. Just what I've been told from officers in my state.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:50 AM

airprene is an unknown quantity at this point

**** we had a spot and it was blocked off and the cops still busted it and every thing cuase they could still see us so wtf is that
Old 09-09-2005, 01:58 AM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Can someone explain to me why cops have to even bother with tickets for riding in a private lot? I mean i understand if someone complains or your breaking something to give you tresspassing, but to give you wreckless? I mean **** man lets be reasonable here. Thats why everytime I have a cop come kick me out of a lot i saw "hey were trying to be responsible and safe about this you know, but i'll be thinking of your family when i'm riding wheelies next to a minivan on the highway." I have yet to get into more than an argument with a cop in a lot but i'm always a ****. Were trying to be safe and yet they gotta hassle us,fine we'll ride the streets, we'll run, we'll get away. They are the ones forcing us to take it to that level.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:20 AM

johnnyrotten is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is your answer man, REVENUE, they get money and raises and promotion and there upholding the law. There *** holes and that is it, if the only person i hurt is myself who the **** cares? the cop? no he could care less he cares about REVENUE, being the big **** someday that is all. Its like the law in some states that if you try to kill yourself and dont succed they can charge you with attempted murder??????? WTF? ill find out what state tried that one, i know in prison ,where ionce was, that they tried to charge us and succeded in destruction of government property for tattooing? how gay is that? The law sucks and the man is a **** plain and simple. MONEY what do you do for MONEY . F>T>P>
Old 09-09-2005, 06:51 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonnyJ
"hey were trying to be responsible and safe about this you know, but i'll be thinking of your family when i'm riding wheelies next to a minivan on the highway."
you couldn't said it better...

I'll use this one next time a cop bothers me...aldo I practically almost never got harassed by cops for stunting in closed areas, lots...only sometimes on schoolyards...
Old 09-09-2005, 10:29 AM

B3Z0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Armenian
what if the cops roll in while your stunting--they shut us down last night--threatened to give me a reckless driving and impound my bike...i want persmission from someone damnit

They can give you tickets for what ever they want but a trespassing ticket is the only one that will hold up in court and thats only if the owner of the lot pursues it. Once the judge see,s the location they all get dropped because your not on the road your in a parking lot. I have friends that have no lisence, reg., insurance nothing and when they get tickets, all of them dropped in court
Old 09-09-2005, 11:05 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Cops came to our spot last night, and it was pretty funny actually. They snuck up on us with the headlights out then darted out from behind the row of transport trucks. Only one guy was riding as the rest were taking a break, so he took off as soon as he seen em. The rookie gets out of the car and says "Hey wheres your friend going?" Everyone was like I dunno who that was. Then he goes "well is he comming back?" as we laugh he catches someone walking around the building and he darts off running saying "thats him isnt it" . LOL it was just some dude walking through, and he turned around and started walking fast away from the cop when he seen him running at him.

To make a long story short they checked ID's, 2 guys there didnt have any papers or liciences at all. Still couldnt do anything as they admitted cause no one was actually doing anything to get a dangerious on private property. Gave us the same old "I dont want to be the guy that has to come here and scrape you off the pavement" and ****ed off.

Here in Ontario Canada the worst you'll get is a dangerious but that wont stand a chance in court with any decent lawyer. It would be very hard for them to prove that anyone was in danger in an empty loading dock area behind an industrial building at night. Other than that if your caught there after being told to leave by the request of the property owner you'll get tresspassing.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:12 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

My buddy got a reckless op for doing donuts in a empty parking lot in his car .... so yes reckless ops in parking lots can hold up - at least in Ohio ...
We do have one spot we got permission from its a quarter mile private drive in an industrial park the people that own the shop have a kid that just rides, we can only use it on the weekends and we try to keep it clean and no burnouts ... but other lots its just find an empty one during the week and try to make it last ....
Old 09-09-2005, 11:30 AM

PavementEater is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to the biggest pain in the *** in the stunt riding world.

Cops are everywhere.
People call the cops when they hear your bike period.
It's so hard to get permission, cause people think your retarded.

We recently just got a spot this summer by red bull here. Finally.. nobody has complained yet. a lot of the workers pull over and watch us. We haven't asked for permission yet, because if the result is no, then we're F'd.

good luck.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:04 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JonnyJ
"hey were trying to be responsible and safe about this you know, but i'll be thinking of your family when i'm riding wheelies next to a minivan on the highway."
Man I wish I could just sit there and argue with a cop but its not my place-telling him your going to go do wheelies next to minivans sounds more like a threat and probably just **** 'em off even more--we'll always be in the wrong unless we have permission--cops can do what they want and all you can do is play stupid and agree. The tickets are'nt worth it. Its like a never ending loop:

A few months ago we argued with a cop and actually convinced him what we were doing was controlled and slow, not drag racing like he thought---so he actually sat there and watched us stunt and was the coolest cop I 've ever met. Then a week later, a different cop came in, took all of our personal information and forced us to leave threatening us with trespassing.