f4i engine noises

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 06:46 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light
f4i engine noises

I've noticed, mainly at idle, that my motor makes a really low, raspy, ticking noise. It seems to come and go every few seconds. It's not my cage rattling. The motor supposedly has about 1000 miles on it, any ideas?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:01 PM

HurricaneF2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: f4i engine noises

i got an 04 with 3k miles on it, does the same thing at idle. almost like a rod knocking, only softer. only at idle though. my cct rattles right at about 5000 too
Old 08-29-2005, 07:04 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HurricaneF2
i got an 04 with 3k miles on it, does the same thing at idle. almost like a rod knocking, only softer. only at idle though. my cct rattles right at about 5000 too
Yea, definately a lot softer than a rod knocking It's pissing me off.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:24 PM
u been huffin?

f4ibry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by inolen
I've noticed, mainly at idle, that my motor makes a really low, raspy, ticking noise. It seems to come and go every few seconds. It's not my cage rattling. The motor supposedly has about 1000 miles on it, any ideas?
f4i's have a fefective automatic cam chain tensioner. i dont know the part numbers or the exact details, but pretty much all f4i's have this problem. its the cam chain tensioner loosing slack on the cam chain and makin a rattling noise, ull notice it more n more especially on engine braking...eventually leading to bent valves dues to improper timing. get a manual cam chain tensioner and keep it adjusted. theres some sites n people that know links n ****. search cct or cam chain tensioner here on SL.

i gotta do mine soon its soo baddddddd 18k on an 01
Old 08-29-2005, 07:57 PM

clumbsybiker is an unknown quantity at this point

if its a soft ocasional knocking sound thats VERY soft and you can kinda "feel" it, it could also be a tranny issue that I, and a lot of my f4/f4i buddies seem to keep having. Dont know what it is in the tranny but try this to see if its your problem too. When you start to hear it, shift into first and let the clutch out with NO gas until the bike starts to lurch and then yank the clutch back it. If its the tranny you will hear it do it a BUNCH of times and it will fell like somthing is moving around down there. But more than likely its the damn cct lifter.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:33 PM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

my f4i ticks too i thought it was an exhaust leak or something i dunno tho
Old 08-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Regular StuntLifer

stuntboy79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by f4ibry
f4i's have a fefective automatic cam chain tensioner. i dont know the part numbers or the exact details, but pretty much all f4i's have this problem. its the cam chain tensioner loosing slack on the cam chain and makin a rattling noise, ull notice it more n more especially on engine braking...eventually leading to bent valves dues to improper timing. get a manual cam chain tensioner and keep it adjusted. theres some sites n people that know links n ****. search cct or cam chain tensioner here on SL.

i gotta do mine soon its soo baddddddd 18k on an 01

My tensioner was so f***** loud . I thought for sure something major was wrong with the bike when it got to normal engine temp and the noise started. Until I put a new one in and the noise was gone. As for as engine damage I don't believe that it will cause engine damage. It's just noisy
Old 09-03-2005, 05:16 PM

charkly is a decent person

when it breaks-and it will, there will be damage-buy the manual one and get it over with
Old 09-04-2005, 06:54 PM

AzN~BoI_585 is an unknown quantity at this point

Uh oh...Im glad i came across this thread...my F4i makes noise...but there are so many things ghetto rigged and held on my zip ties that I didnt think anything of it Im actually not too worried Im probally gonna drop in a new motor soon anyway. But yea Im gonna have to check this shiz out...i heard sumthing yesterday while riding and didnt kno wtf was goin on.