keeping wheelies up

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 11:29 AM

bigross1127 is an unknown quantity at this point
keeping wheelies up

ive been practicing stand-ups for a few days now, clutch up, staggered stance. i can get the front wheel up about 4 feet pretty consistantly but i only ride it out for about 20 yards before it comes back down. i know my problem is throttle control, but do i roll off a little once it comes up or do i try to hold the throttle where i clutched it up? a couple times i got it high and tried to stay on the throttle but i keep going back and scare myself so i put it down. i would really appreciate everybodys tips and how they got over the same thing im going through.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:43 AM

Z-UNIT is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: keeping wheelies up

heres a trick that always worked for me....dont try and find bp...it will find you trsut me....jsut go out there liek ur doing now, and every wheelie focus on going a lil higher...its when u go from powerwheelies to trying to slwo it down that u crash....even if ur front tire is only hovering 3inches off teh ground...next pass get it 6 inches...then 12inches, etc...that way u learn slow and safe...and at the end of the day u feel like u accomplished sumthing....which maeks learning much easier, learning i shard when ur discouraged

as for bp...u shud clutch up and basically hodl a constant throttle, maybe making tiny lil inputs like 1/8 of inch turns on the throttle...u will feel it, its scary at first but as u get used to it, itll feel smoth and balanced. work on being smooth...the smoother u are teh easier it will be, entering bp very slowly and controled is alot less scary/dangerous, then if u on and off the throttle and very unsmooth....so liek i said practice, and work on being smooth that is teh key..and jsut go higher everytiem until u fidn that spot...trust me u will find it
Old 08-14-2005, 03:48 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by bigross1127
ive been practicing stand-ups for a few days now, clutch up, staggered stance. i can get the front wheel up about 4 feet pretty consistantly but i only ride it out for about 20 yards before it comes back down. i know my problem is throttle control, but do i roll off a little once it comes up or do i try to hold the throttle where i clutched it up? a couple times i got it high and tried to stay on the throttle but i keep going back and scare myself so i put it down. i would really appreciate everybodys tips and how they got over the same thing im going through.

I clutch my F2 all the way to bp and then I don't have to make any major throttle adjustments, just remember take it slow and stay smooth. If you get choppy set it down cuz that can end in you looping.

When you're clutching roll off the throttle as it comes higher if you aren't clutching hard enough to hit bp, and keep it barely on, you'll know you're there when the bike stops accelerating and needs very little throttle to stay up.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:18 PM

20blks is an unknown quantity at this point

I learned a little throttle control by bring the wheel down easy. Sound silly but it worked for me.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:41 PM

streetbike05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just keep practicing, don't get discouraged. Just stagered feet clutch, bounce, let out the clutch. Give it more gas after each try. Eventualy you will find the balance point
Old 08-14-2005, 11:38 PM

187mustang is an unknown quantity at this point

imno prefessional but what helped me was a hot B**** in the car next to me. I wanted to do a nice stand up and i clutched it up and i thought i was gonna loop it and let off the gass a little and low and behold the bike was on the BP so when it started to come down i gave it more gas and slowly rolled into it and it stayed there all the way til i hit the rev limiter. but what really helps is leaning back when you get it up and the bike starts to come down and you know you cant keep it up try leaning back and pulling on the bars normally when mine starts to come down i lean back a crank the gas and it comes back up. just keep trying and one of the times you'll find the bp on accident and then the light bulb will light in your head and youll be rockin 'em in no time. :YEAH
Old 08-15-2005, 12:44 AM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

Practice and video cameras. Have someone tape you, then go home. Trust me, you'll watch the video and the time you "thought" you were going to loop it, your tail is about 12" away. That helped me. Oh yea, did I mention PRACTICE A LOT!?!?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:30 AM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigross1127
It took me exactly one week to learn bp. Everynight for one week i would go out to the lot for an hour or two. I'd just drive around in first gear and try staggered wheelies. Little clutch hop it up a foot or so till i was comfortable with that and chasing it across the lot. Then i'd clutch a little harder and little higher till i was comfortable with that. Then higher and so on and so on, at the end of the week i knew they were getting high, i heard a scrape and got off and my exhaust had hit the ground. Thats when i knew i could wheelie.

Keep at it, it all comes with practice, just be patient.