cant get the wheelies all the way up..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 11:12 AM

DENO VELVET is an unknown quantity at this point
cant get the wheelies all the way up..

early morning practice session proved i suck... went for about an hour with it in my mind that i was going to get the bike up...i have a 95 CBR 600 F3 .. i went out, practicing clutch wheelies.. i got the concept down, but bike wont come up any higher than 1 ft... im basically starting at about 4K rpm, pullin in the clutch with 2 fingers slightly revving it then poppin the clutch and wacking the throttle at the same time... i close the throttle but not all the way the same time the clutch releases... it pops up, but only a foot or less... ive tried it the other way, doesnt really do anything if i keep on the gas... just lurches forward... i also cant seem to be far enough back on the bike... i started not paying attention to the tach and looking up, but still nothing more than looking retarded(not that i care...) is it possible i just need a bigger or newer bike to learn on?
im 205 lbs, and 6'4" .. also the bike is geared -1 +2... with new 530 conversion chain...
any help would be greatly appreciated, as i really love wheelies, and have wanted to learn for the last 7 years....
i am comfortable with the bike, but it seems like it is too heavy in the front for me... i can do tank sitters with no hands, christ airs, etc... but cant seem to find the sweet spot for wheelies... im not that scared of looping, and im covering the rear brake... also i bring the bike down smooth when it does decide to pop up about 2-3 ft.. i want to do power wheelies but this bike just wont do em... anybody, input?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:17 AM

shiphteey is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: cant get the wheelies all the way up..

I have an F2, down 1 in the front, piped/jetted, das it.

I weigh 130.

Try minimal gasoline. Lean back(scoot BACK), crack the throttle hard but not wide open, quickly dab the clutch while going WOT!

I use 2nd gear. Start @ 20 something mph...4-5krpms...go up 1krpms at a time don't do it 20x in a row, clutch may get a little hot. Use your weight to your advantage and lean BACK. All very quick almost aggressive motions. Gotta be smooth but the F2/3 don't have too much power so some times you gotta kinda whip it.

If you're doing this in 1st gear, be careful, less revs, less throttle, less RPM. It shoots up quick.

You're welcome.

Ali
Old 08-08-2005, 11:22 AM

so i should try more in 2nd gear... get slightly butterflied when doing 1st gear...
seems a lot smoother in second...
Old 08-08-2005, 02:54 PM

20blks is an unknown quantity at this point

Just barely slip the clutch and give it a little gas. Use more and more throttle as you get comfortable. It's really simple after you get the feel for it. There's nothing wrong with your bike.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:04 PM
It came out in the wash!?

XFlipX is an unknown quantity at this point

Search the threads....this explains it all!!!

How to wheelie!!!

Flip
Old 08-08-2005, 03:31 PM
N/A

N/A is an unknown quantity at this point

the way I learned was to get going about 20mph, once I get it stable I roll the throttle back and pin it, but in the process of flooring it, at about 3/4 WOT (wide open throttle) I slip the clutch in and out as fast as I can. If you slip the clutch in and out right before you get to 100% WOT, you can usually get the power/RPM range close to get that bike to come up nice and smooth. And when I mean PIN it, twist that throttle back not as fast as you can, but pretty fast, and all I do when I pull the clutch in, is with my index finger I pull the clutch in until it slaps my other knuckles and then I let it out. You don't need to ever pull the clutch in ALL THE WAY, you just want to slip it a bit. That really helped me learn throttle control b/c instead of popping the clutch where the bike flies up and you have to let it down right before your A$$ puckers up, you can control the bike with the throttle and learn a good steady throttle hand.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-08-2005, 03:51 PM

KF_Chris is a decent person

play with the throttle, each bike is different. you'll find the "sweet spot". cover the brake and do standups, they're easier to control
Old 08-09-2005, 02:21 AM

Squidmark is an unknown quantity at this point

I think learning in first gear on a nearly stock gear f2 is fine. People say 2nd gear is better to learn on because its not as choppy...but its mostly because there is less engine brake. (engine brake is your friend for the time before you have good brake control. And i would rather go down in a 35mph looped wheelie than a 75mph looped wheelie. My opinion though.

Anyways, accelerate like your just trying to pace a slow car trying to race you. Some people might not agree, but taking off your upper fairing and guages is a great idea when learning...less stuff
to break, and you can see alot better (which is a big thing when you are starting out). You dont need to watch your tach or see how fast your going anyways, so tape over the guages if you dont want to take em off, so u dont get in the habit of watching them 24/7. Roll on the throttle a little more than you already are, then Pull the clutch in and release it like you were spraying a windex bottle or somthing. (<--i like that reference) Stay in the throttle, until it comes up a little bit, then smoothly roll off. This is where practice comes into play. The roll-off is the uber-important point of a wheelie. Somthing i found helpful when starting out is to watch some video's of "non-pro" riders. It just makes it easier to understand if things are basic.

This is a vid from around 6 months ago.

Right Click...Save As...
The black f2 is mine (geared -1+3), the blue f2 is my buddies (geared -1), and the f4i is stock. We are all aroudn 150 lbs. You dont need to sit forward or back while doing a sitdown, middle of the seat is just fine. Dont lean forward while doing wheelies either, good luck. Ride more, practice wheelies more, dont crash.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:05 AM

s4m222 is an unknown quantity at this point

i got a r6 05... clutch ups in first are easy... working on 2nd... imay need to bounce at freeway speeds...

the concept is to slip the clutch and catch the revs going up, not to rev and drop the clutch...

so slip it JUST enough so the RPMS start shooting up and let it out and stay on/roll on the throttle...

and practice... if that was ur first session its all good...

took me 5 hours to get my 1st gear clutch ups regularly...
Old 08-11-2005, 10:02 AM

thanks Squidmark... that video helps a bit... im goin to practice all day tommorrow.. im gonna bring some friends to critique me...
and im gonna video it so i can see what im doing right/wrong..i will perfect it, with practice... im selling my F3 soon, and getting an 05 cbr600RR
Old 08-11-2005, 04:15 PM

alright, was practicing again, and just for ***** and giggles i tried power wheelies... well i got it up the first try, and held it up good... i know that power wheelies are bad, but does anybody think they will help? i noticed that bouncing the front with the throttle helps and that if i get good at it i can start substituting the crackin the throttle for the clutch, maybe i'll learn quicker.. anyways i must say it feels awesome to pull it up... and i got about 8 o clock.... felt awesome... cant wait to get my new 600 RR to bust em off all day...
Old 08-11-2005, 04:24 PM

louisvillerider is a decent person

i can 12 my F3 (sometimes) but i can ride them @ 10 o'clock easily
Old 08-11-2005, 04:26 PM
$$$$$$$

TheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the rough

bounce that biaizitch