EXPERTS: please help long staggered standup

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 08:47 AM

cjb08 is an unknown quantity at this point
EXPERTS: please help long staggered standup

its a 954 16f 50R gearing. when i do standups. i will pop it up and the rpms will go down, but as i ride i will hit bumps/twitch the throttle and so on. well, once i get(im in 3rd by the way and i clutch up) to like 7,000 or 8,000 rpms i start to not pick up speed i can ride them over a mile. but i cant keep them at a lower rpm or speed . i would like to be able to keep them around 60 in 3rd. what is my problem. i guess i have to be at balance point, or i couldnt go a mile or so. what do you guys think. i keep my foot on the rear brake, but im not far enough in the bp to slow it down. when i use the brake it just pulls the front down. it seems like i have plenty of engine braking(maybe too much). what do i do. please help
chris
Old 08-02-2005, 10:01 AM

SCOTT_Chychul has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: EXPERTS: please help long staggered standup

seems to me like you just answered your own question.. If you want to slow it down bring it up higher. It seems weird at first that you have to give it more gas to slow it down, but it works. Time in the saddle really is the only thing that is going to help you.. If your not comfortable up high enough to slow it down than maybe its better you take it into a 1st gear parking lot, rather than trying to figure that out 3rd gear on a highway. It will hurt alot less in 1st gear trust me... Im not trying to be harsh, but you gota walk before you run, and 3rd gear on the highway is not the place to learn..
Old 08-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Regular StuntLifer

john john is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SCOTT_Chychul
seems to me like you just answered your own question.. If you want to slow it down bring it up higher. It seems weird at first that you have to give it more gas to slow it down, but it works. Time in the saddle really is the only thing that is going to help you.. If your not comfortable up high enough to slow it down than maybe its better you take it into a 1st gear parking lot, rather than trying to figure that out 3rd gear on a highway. It will hurt alot less in 1st gear trust me... Im not trying to be harsh, but you gota walk before you run, and 3rd gear on the highway is not the place to learn..
well said 80 mph hurts alot more then 5 but your tottaly right bring it up higher to the bp and it will slow you down ..its kinda like coasters
Old 08-02-2005, 12:19 PM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

Wind resistance is so big at 80, that the BP is a lot lower then at 10mph.

I can slow it down at 1st, but cannot run mile with third. Scary **** at those speeds.

Oh yeah, and crashed the 954 when learning to slow them down... Sooner or later.... So keep the speed low.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:07 PM

but, when im doing them they feel pretty stable and comfy. i dont really feel out of control. it is +7 on the rear so third is not as fast. the speedo says im at 85 when im not picking up speed anymore. how fast is that with +7 gearing??? i was allways told that the slow stuff was harder. i can clutch up really well at any speed, i used to ride motocross so the clutch is no problem. Is the balance point really that much different at 80 than at 40? do you think it could be partly my body position. when im up in it and i get comfy i try to straighten my arms and lean back, but i dont think i pull it back any further i just stand up straight and straighten my arms.
sorry this is so long. I really appreciate the help. i know im a squid, but im trying, u know. thanks chris
Old 08-02-2005, 02:11 PM

anymore help? please
Old 08-02-2005, 04:27 PM

sorry, i know im a pain in the a--. lol
Old 08-02-2005, 04:41 PM

Chicane is an unknown quantity at this point

Use 2nd gear and start out slower. By the time its balanced out, You will be going 60.

BTW you don't have to be BP to do a mile long wheelie.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:46 PM

so you would recommend using second to do highway speed wheelies even with my gearing (+7). ????? thanks
Old 08-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Regular StuntLifer

pineapple is a decent person

i have a 929... i have all stock gears. i clutch my up in 2nd... the idea is to get the bike to bp as fast as you can so you wont have to chase the bike... the faster you go the lower the bp is going to be on the bike. the slower you go the higher the bp is going to be.. when you bring it up as soon as the bike comes to bp you can feel it... its a totaly diffrent feel. lean back on your bike if your too close to the tank you will have to bring the bike farther back. (advice from other riders that have told me). learn that back brake it will save your ***. it will also keep the bike up longer... when it comes back to far dont smash the rear break. tap it. and when it starts to fall down. give it a lil more gas just enough to pull the bike back to bp. gas an brake... an seat time an pratice... but do it a in a lil safer place
Old 08-03-2005, 10:53 AM

thanks for the help. i say highway, but im talking about highway speeds. we have some pretty big roads that have little traffic so its pretty cool. i have been playing with the brake. most of the time when i would use the brake it would just pull the front down, well last night i was king of dragging the rear brake and i felt it start to slow me down. i could feel the motor kind of dragging a little. is that how everybody slows their wheelies down? thanks again???
Old 08-03-2005, 02:20 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

Hey whats up man--Im from Va Beach and if your looking into slowing them down you should ride with us--We used to ride up in Hampton at Gateway until it got shutdown-Do you have a cage and a bar? PM me so we can stunt together. Later!
Old 08-03-2005, 02:21 PM

help!...........................
Old 08-03-2005, 02:22 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

I just fixed the radiator in my 929 yesterday and we'll be stunting all this weekend
Old 08-03-2005, 03:07 PM

broncopete27 is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a 929, this spring i decided to learn to stunt, so i got a 54 rear, in second i was holdin wheelies at 55 for 4-6 miles pretty easy, and slowing it down just came one day..practice it going up a hill, you dont hafta have it as high and you will get the feel of what its going to do when you kick it up afew inches...I learned by just dragin the crap out of my brake...kicked it up in 2nd while dragin the brake, left foot on rear peg, than feathered out of it to get it balanced out, then id let off the brake, knock the throttle, and catch it with the brake and just hold everything steady and it will slow right down..its all about trusting that brake...once you start doing them below 30 you'll never want to do another highspeed wheelie again ..just a safty note, when learning you use the brake alot more than u think you hafto, so it heats up, be aware of brake fade, and if you do it at night look at your rear rotor, ive seen them get fire red hot, changing to dot 5 if ss lines will help your brakes, but it wont help your mental game
Old 08-06-2005, 08:53 AM

thanks for the help! i did try slowing it down while i was going up a hill and it worked, felt pretty cool. it does feel pretty high. i guess im not as high as i thought i was. lol. on another note. i have been getting them to turn left, but i cant for the life of me turn them at all to the right. any ideas. thanks again for the help.
chris
Old 08-06-2005, 08:56 AM

oh yeah, how do you guys stand on the seat and pull them up. it feels very awkward. do you just do them staggered and than take your left foot and move it from the passenger peg to the seat or what. thanks
Old 08-06-2005, 09:57 AM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

"oh yeah, how do you guys stand on the seat and pull them up. it feels very awkward."

yes it feels, but you get used to it, I usually start with my left foot on the saddle...

I had to learn that, because I broke my rear peg and Had to keep my leg somewhere..

looks like many pro's can change from the rear peg to the saddle, but I'm not there yet..
Old 08-06-2005, 01:15 PM
TheShirtCave.com

DerekLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SCOTT_Chychul
If your not comfortable up high enough to slow it down than maybe its better you take it into a 1st gear parking lot, rather than trying to figure that out 3rd gear on a highway. It will hurt alot less in 1st gear trust me... Im not trying to be harsh, but you gota walk before you run, and 3rd gear on the highway is not the place to learn..
3rd gear's too much for 60mph, you should be in 2nd, THAT's why you can go too much slower, as easy in 3rd.

And I beg to differ about this post, because it IS easier to learn wheelie/physics/concepts in 2nd rather than first because it's less twitchy. I don't know but back in my day that's how we ALL learned. I think it really helped....

now days everyone's just jumping on a bike and straight to slow ****. It will hurt more if you dump it but who cares...