finding the balance, psi?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 03:17 AM

yowesq is an unknown quantity at this point
finding the balance, psi?

I, like a lot of folks around here, need help with my wheelies. I've read tons of other threads, so don't bother giving links, I just have specific questions and fears about it. I ride a 2001 Yamaha FZ1 (naked R1) with -1/+3. First is easy, almost too easy, to get up. Second I have been clutching up for a month or so, especially since the sprocket change two weeks ago. I'm having trouble finding the balance, though. I've never ridden a wheelie more than 1/4 mile, if even that far, though I've done literally hundreds of wheelies. On this bike, first is too twitchy when I try to find the bp. In second, I only sit, and I get it SO high (it seems), and I'm not looking over the windscreen but rather at the tank. Nevertheless, it still rides out to the rev limiter and comes down. I tried staggered and clutching today, came up a foot or so and scared me enough not to try again. It seemed as if it came up crooked (weight distribution problem?), like it would go off the road once up.

I was wondering, could someone explain what lowering psi actually does? I'm no fool, I understand less psi means more surface area, means more traction. But, someone once told me it makes it more stable? Is this so? It seems as it would make the sidewalls less stable. Also, is it easier to find the bp that way? In theory, it seems as if it would because the center of mass would be over the contact patch (that is now bigger) earlier and stay there easier, but I need someone to confirm or disaffirm my theory before I try it. The only time I dropped the psi in a tire was 6 minutes before I looped my ninja early this year. I want so bad to ride a mile long wheelie. help

I have a video of a 2nd gear wheelie on www.angelfire.com/film/trickshotpool/hidden.html
It was right after my gear change so I was just getting used to it. I get considerably higher and ride about twice as far, but still not at the bp. It is frustrating!
Old 07-29-2005, 03:50 AM

speed2dirt is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: finding the balance, psi?

I can answer a few of your questions. As most everyone on SL will tell you, learn the whoolie standing staggered. I got the basics by doing sitdowns, but progressed rapidly by learning standups. I understand it scared you, but the more you practice, the more comfortable you'll become with it. Start with small standups and keep increasing height as you become comfortable. It's not a race to see who can become the best the fastest. Trust me, the balance point is way up there. You won't reach it until you get confidence in your ability.

I've heard differing opinions on which gear to learn whoolies in. I agree that first gear is twitchy, but will make you a better rider if you can master it. I say do what makes you comfortable. The key in stunting, in my opinion, is knowing your capabilities and pushing them slowly. You'll eventually be cool with whatever stunt you try.

I've never lowered my tire pressure, so I can't comment on that. In theory, it should make it much more stable. The BP is the same either way, so air pressure doesn't affect that. I say learn the whoolie with normal pressure, and let air out as you slow them down. That should be awhile though. Take your time and it'll come.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:35 AM

gsxr11523 is an unknown quantity at this point

psykoyow don't feel alone bro I have been riding for three years and still haven't hit bp yet. I can do standups and standups staggered but I still set them down at 80-100 mph. The BP must be way up there as I can do a sitdown on my gixxer so high that I have to look around my tank to see where I am going and once I'm that high I can bring it back a little more but the bike wobbles on me then and I have to sit it down. Standups though are quite easier for me as I can get probably a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile on a good one. I'll help you here by asking "How do you know when you hit the BP?". These are all good questions and for guys that aren't to that level we don't know but once we pass that point it feels natural. I ride with a guy that rides wheelies further and slower than I do and he is not riding nearly as high as I am so thats what prompted me to post here and ask about the bp. Please share guys and teach the rest of us.

Ryan
Old 07-29-2005, 09:38 AM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

It'll probably help if you lower it to around 25, make it a little more stable at high speeds.

I was having a ****ing hard time launching wheelies on my F2 from a stop and getting them balanced, then Derek (Doodlef4i) mentioned I should lower my psi to around 10.

I just did that and have no problem launching them now, they come up straight as an arrow.

(Disclaimer - don't lower your tire pressure to 10psi for fast wheelies kay)
Old 07-29-2005, 01:47 PM

speed2dirt is an unknown quantity at this point

BP is where the bike no longer accelerates to stay up. You can listen to the engine and hear when you hit the point. But believe me, you'll know when you hit it. It is a surreal feeling. Everything just feels right and you aren't scared. As you become comfortable, give it a little more throttle. You have quite a ways till the bike loops, so don't be afraid. You guys will get it. Just keep trying.