how to tell chain pitch

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 03:46 AM

truestunna is an unknown quantity at this point
how to tell chain pitch

I was gonna buy some sprockets for my f3, upon looking at it i noticed the previous owner put an aftermarket chain and sprockets on, only 1 down though. I want to change out the sprockets but not going big, still want to keep the stock chain, how do i find out the pitch? It's a DID chain and i looked on the links for it but couldn't find it, had some weird numbers and letters.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:53 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: how to tell chain pitch

Originally Posted by truestunna
I was gonna buy some sprockets for my f3, upon looking at it i noticed the previous owner put an aftermarket chain and sprockets on, only 1 down though. I want to change out the sprockets but not going big, still want to keep the stock chain, how do i find out the pitch? It's a DID chain and i looked on the links for it but couldn't find it, had some weird numbers and letters.
It should say on the chain. What do the weird numbers and letters say?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:38 AM

GSE_Anthony is an unknown quantity at this point

Not only does the chain have the info on the links, but the rear sprocket will likely have a stamp on it. Take a better look at the chain, I just installed a DID last night and it's like the 10th DID chain I have ever put on a bike, they have the info on the outter link plate, usually every third link or so.
As for the sprocket, if it is say, a Vortex sprocket, just find the stamped numbers on it, call them up and ask what the numbers match up with.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:40 PM

truestunna is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah i know they usually say the pitch on the links, that's the wierd thing though. I went through and cleaned off probably 20 and couldn't find anything, i want to say that the number there were a couple that had 50x4 or something like that on them, don't remember i'll have to go check when i get home. Sprockets just have the tooth count stamped in them nothing else.