Clutchless Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:49 AM
G97

G97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Clutchless Shifting

Originally Posted by clumbsybiker
Dude, I used to run in WERA and recently WSMC. That pretty much means a higher level of bike controll in terms of shifting and downshifting, power management and rpm matching. MOST riders that can bust out a BAD *** no handed circle wheelie probly would get their *** handed to them by a NOVICE in either of the formentioned race clubs on a track day. This is oviously because of differences in riding style. Most knee draggers only do half assed wheelies because you learn techniques to PREVENT them while racing. I think most average daily riders and even most stunters probly dont have the controll for THIS type of riding because its not their style and does no do anything for the stunting or freeway commuting that they do. So I just belive that these average riders or most stunt riders will do more harm than good if the DONT shift using the clutch. Now if you ran in WERA you have probly heard this before at track school and should know exactly what Im on about.

Laterz,

Fox 2005 WSMC provisional expert division #13
cool, We are talking upshifting only. No need to match RPM. A simple roll off of the throttle that unloads the tranny and a little pressure on the shift lever and it will shift nice and smooth, then back on the gas. When done proper it snicks in nice and smooth like an automatic tranny shift.

I seldom if ever use the clutch even on the street. It is not a difficult or complicated skill to do correctly with upshifting. Very simple and easy to do, plus alot smoother when done correctly.

BUt to each their own. Just wanted to clear up that clutchless shifting does not induce anymore wear or tear on the tranny and also puts less wear on the clutch plates.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:42 AM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point

If anyone could explain one major benefit on why you wouldn't use the clutch then I will do them all day long. I know you CAN do them but why SHOULD you? It doesn't get you into gear that much faster and isn't worth the risk in damaging your bike.

They made a clutch for a reason . The same reason why you shouldn't downshift hard everytime you come to a red light or a stop sign. The motor is meant for propelling the bike/car forward, the brakes are for stopping, unless you drive a Freightliner like me.... HeeeeHawwwww..

Camo Mike
Old 07-20-2005, 02:27 PM

KungFu954 is an unknown quantity at this point

G97,

OK, then you go right on ahead and clutchless shift but DO NOT ask me for help when,,, notice I said WHEN you round out your gear dogs. I know how to "properly clutchless shift" I've been on different race tracks my whole life I know how to RPM Match, and futher more, I understand mechanics. I clutchless shifted my bike on the race track matching RPMs and all and still have to replace the 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th gearsin my trans. UNLESS YOU HAVE AN IGNITION INTERUPTER which takes away direct power from the transmission while the shift lever is in motion you WILL damage your transmission. Why do you think they make push button shifters and ignition interupters,,,for fun? There is a reason,,,it's the same EXACT REASON YOUR BIKE CAME WITH A CLUTCH! Do you seriously for one second think that they just put clutches on vehicals for nothing? Damn your not that bright.

But hey,,, don't take my word for it. Go out and keep clutchless shifting if you've been at it a while now,,,you don't have long to go. I'll be watching for your "please help,,, trans problems" post just like I've seen in here at least 10 times allready.

Damn Blade you believe this guy
Old 07-21-2005, 01:58 AM
G97

Originally Posted by KungFu954
G97,

OK, then you go right on ahead and clutchless shift but DO NOT ask me for help when,,, notice I said WHEN you round out your gear dogs. I know how to "properly clutchless shift" I've been on different race tracks my whole life I know how to RPM Match, and futher more, I understand mechanics. I clutchless shifted my bike on the race track matching RPMs and all and still have to replace the 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th gearsin my trans. UNLESS YOU HAVE AN IGNITION INTERUPTER which takes away direct power from the transmission while the shift lever is in motion you WILL damage your transmission. Why do you think they make push button shifters and ignition interupters,,,for fun? There is a reason,,,it's the same EXACT REASON YOUR BIKE CAME WITH A CLUTCH! Do you seriously for one second think that they just put clutches on vehicals for nothing? Damn your not that bright.

But hey,,, don't take my word for it. Go out and keep clutchless shifting if you've been at it a while now,,,you don't have long to go. I'll be watching for your "please help,,, trans problems" post just like I've seen in here at least 10 times allready.

One more time, follow me here. Upshifting has nothing to do with matching RPM's with wheel speed.

You, yourself, make the point why clutchless UPSHIFTING is the way to go. Clutchless shifting is clutchless shifting. Regardless if you use a power shifter/ ignition inter-rupter. The concept is the same - Unloading the tranny gears which inturn allows the shift dogs and cogs to mesh/remesh with a different/higher gear. Simple. They use electronics and ignition kill pills because it is quicker than doing it manually. The concept is the same.

In short, you have no clue. I suggest you educate yourself. Funny, after AMA races and countless track days my tranny is still solid. You or this board would be the last place i would solicit help from.

Quite simply you have demonstrated a total lack of knowledge with this subject. Go ahead and keep trying to inflate your "status" with this group. The facts are indisputable. You are completely wrong with regard to this. The function of a clutch is more than just facilitating a simple shift.

You could not be more misinformed with this topic. Damn dude, you have no idea. Again I am not concerned how anyone choses how to shift, to each their own. It is only when "know it all - waana be's" like yourself start spouting garbage that I feel compelled to respond.

You want to compare credentials? Break it on out. I might suggest you doing some basic research first.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:24 AM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

i want to save my clutch taking off from stops so i just rev it to 10k and stomp down on the shifter,is that ok?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:00 AM

bladerunner is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^^^^^^^^

I like to rev it to 12k....but if you're still learnin, then stick with 10k.

Bump
Old 07-21-2005, 04:06 AM

bladerunner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KungFu954

People only learn from personal experience.....

Internet fighting is like winning a gold in the special olympics....
you may have won, but you're still retarded.

Call Honda and tell the engineers that the 2006 models should come without a clutch.....this should shave some weight.

- See ya Kungfu

Blade out
Old 07-21-2005, 02:54 PM

KungFu954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey G97,

Look, I really don't want to compair penises with you, cause,,,frankly that's gross. I know you really really believe that your right, and that's ok, it's your bike and your decision. I appologize if I got rude with you. <--I actually mean that, I'm not being sarcastic.

However, at some point, and you never have to tell another human being ok. Do just a little reading or actually all you have to do is call MMI in Arizona and ask. that's all. I know it doesn't sound or feel like it's hard on the trans. But it is and that is just a fact. Still don't believe me, ask anyone who's been at this for a long time. Kyle Woods, Matt Gordka, Thew, anyone. Now as I said in the above paragraph, I won't argue with you becuase for one I'm so not 14 and two I'm right, if you believe me or not if you clutchless shift you'l eventually have trans problems. you may not have the bike that long, but that doesn't change the facts that clutchless shifting is hard on transmissions. Personally I have 25,000 miles on mine my problems showed up at 13,000 miles. So if you just run at the track it may take a while but it doesn't mean it's ok to do.

don't post back, I've said my peace in here and I won't come back. I'm man enough to appologize if I insulted you. However, I will not say I'm wrong, because I AM RIGHT, if you keep that bike,,you WILL find out how right I am.
like it or not I am a very good mechanic and what I say is truth. Sorry. Oh and sorry about your trans.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:47 PM
G97

Wow, I made it through another season with nothing but clutchless shifting. So far two seasons and 4200 miles with same tranny. No clutch upshifts, No problems.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:59 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

wow you got a memory
Old 11-21-2006, 04:40 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DoodleF4i
theres no point in it...R6's have weak transmissions to begin with..is it really that hard to blip the clutch on your shifts?
of course....but why is there a clutch if you don't need it?

the only bikes that are made not to use clutch for shifting are some MX bikes...
Old 11-21-2006, 05:18 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

just my oppinion ......im 38 and have been riding my whole life. i use the clutch for 1st to 2nd the rest no clutch except when down shifting. 1st to2nd is ahuge gear ratio change the rest arent iv been doing this on every bike ive ever owned and ive had some bikes for over five years each. ive had no tranny problems with any of them and my first street bike i never changed the oil just added to it althuogh i dont recomend that it also had no trany problems and i had that bike the longest. so i dont care what all the techs say you dont need to use your clutch except for 1st to 2nd and starting and stopping and down shifting..again in my oppinion most tranny damage is from squids powering up first gear wheelies to 14000 rpm s and jumping out of the gas cause there shitting themselves and then once they think there good they start shifting the bike into second gear while again power wheelieng and not shifting firmly enough or while the bike is on the rev limmiter....and rev matching is done with the clutch so i dont know what thatother guy was talking about ......and throw all this out the window if you race a two stroke dirt bike cause then its just bang gears and when it break it breaks

Last edited by old man roger; 11-21-2006 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:24 AM
G97

Originally Posted by bruno_z
of course....but why is there a clutch if you don't need it?

You do need it for starting, backshifting, and stopping just not for upshifting
Old 11-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

Originally Posted by G97
Wow, I made it through another season with nothing but clutchless shifting. So far two seasons and 4200 miles with same tranny. No clutch upshifts, No problems.
i do 4200 miles in 2 weeks.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

I use the clutch for every gear..
Old 11-21-2006, 10:50 AM
www.warpedtoys.com

WarpedToys is a decent person

ummm most sportbikes are designed to shift with out a clutch. If you do it right it will not hurt anything, but if done wrong it will. We sponsor an AMA super bike racer John Haner and he does not use a clutch to up shift at all.

Just not sure it could be used right in stunting or would be better. Just my 2 cents and I am expert on this matter just what I have seen and heard.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:23 AM

Catman will become famous soon enough

I agree with the old man on this one ........+1

I personaly use the clutch except when upshiftin in wheelies, but was taught to do it without as a excersize on the track and on dirt bikes
Old 11-21-2006, 02:45 PM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G97
You do need it for starting, backshifting, and stopping just not for upshifting
ok, thanks, I just looked at my clutch and underneath it says with red letters "DO NOT USE FOR UPSHIFTING!"...
Old 11-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Scrapes Elbow

yeah trannys are way more fun to replace then stupid clutch baskets/fibers/steels.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:30 AM
G97

Originally Posted by Wheeliest
i do 4200 miles in 2 weeks.
Wow, that's alot of track time.

Quick Reply: Clutchless Shifting