cbr 929 idle turn up problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 04:35 PM

tim m. is an unknown quantity at this point
cbr 929 idle turn up problem

I have a '00 929 and I can't get the idle turned up to where I'd like it. When I turn the idle **** up it will go to 2000 rpms and if I try to turn it up higher it takes a couple turns then jumps to 5000 rpms. I can't get it to set anywhere between there. Sometimes I can get it to set at about 3-4000 rpms but as soon as I let out the clutch to get moving and then pull it in again it will be at around 2000rpms. but if I give it a little gas it will go up where I tried to set it then slowly die down to 2000rpms. I'd like to set it at 3500rpms but can't. Is this a common problem for 929s? Anyone have any ideas? Any thoughts would be appeciated. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:49 PM

WRooster250F is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: cbr 929 idle turn up problem

common problem......i put a 900rr idle-up cable on. it hooks to the same place as the throttle cables. works much better. if you need more info do a search. this question pops up all the time on here.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:00 PM

tim m. is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:06 PM

SAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

That is how the 929 works. It is all apart of the exhaust valve. There are certain turn points that you will have to figure with the adjuster to get it at 3,500rpms.

I used to turn it up to 2,200rpms, then i would turn it a little more. After that, i would ease the clutch lever out a little to check were it was going to. And i would keep repeating that till i saw it at 3,500rpms. But i got tired of messing with it that way.

All i do now is set it to 2,200 for slow stuff. Start off from 1,000rpms and gradually turn it up till you hit 2,200rpms. By leaving it at 2,200rpms, you won't have to deal with the rpms jumping around. Plus you can go a lot higher without stalling out, and you will roll a lot slower.

As for fixing the problem i heard you can replace the exhaust system and get a programmer. But that can get expensive.

Another solution to making the idle turn up easier is connecting another idle adjuster cable to the throttle bodies, but i haven't done that so i can't help you on that one.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:29 PM

B3Z0 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 929 that I have been stunting for the past 2 weeks I can get to the bp no problem, scrape the bar, use the brake every thing feels great so far. I am running the stock sprocket but I get to bp from dead stop. My first 12's sometimes would shut of the bike but when the front wheel touch down the bike would start up. I drilled the bank angle sensor and filled it with glue and that seemed to help but the other night, 12 oclock, bike shut off and did not start when back down? is their another sensor?
am I stalling? My idol is not turned up would that help?
Old 08-29-2005, 02:11 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

Your just stalling out--make sure you dont ride the brake on the way up--and with a stock sprocket you won't be able to really get the bike down to crawling speeds without riding the brake real heavy and stalling--but you can mos def 12 with stock gears...

-Alvin
Old 08-29-2005, 02:38 PM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

954 has the same annoying idle problem. I could drive against idle if I would get 3500-4000, but 2200 is only possilble or it gets wierd. Honda manual said the exhaust valve opens at 3000, so thats probably makes it so wierd, it doesn't know if it needs to close or be open if the idle is at 3000 or close to that.

I've read that D-aces cory hooked the exhaust valve to the middle position and liked that best. There is eliminator called HASS eliminator, search the net. It comes with tubes that replace the valve and map for the power commander.

And I have installed that 900RR idle adjuster and it doesn't help to this problem. It still goes funny. But with stock adjuster you cannot even get that high idle. Stock idle adjuster doesn't adjust throttle butterfly's at all, it adjust small bypass valves(idle valves) basicly the same ones that are used for the high idle when the bike is cold. So when you open the stock adjuster the Throttle position sensor doesn't turn, so bike may go lean. the 900rr adjuster mod adjust the real throttle butterfly's and the Throttle position sensor turns and the mixture is probably more right. Not sure thou, but that is basicly how it works.

here is some good info about the valve workings and HASS eliminator

http://www.cbr929rr.com/eliminator.htm
Old 08-29-2005, 03:01 PM

B3Z0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Alvin, I am a little heavy on that back brake, and turning the idol up was a little crazy I didnt know where to pop the clutch a litte gas and it was screaming