slowing it down

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:20 PM

aw0n0 can only hope to improve
slowing it down

I've been working on my slow first gear sit downs for a couple of weeks now, im clutching up usually to a little bit below the bp, and getting used to using the rear brake to bring it down quick. Im wondering what the best technique is, clutch right up to/past bp, OR clutch below the bp and throttle it up?
Old 07-14-2005, 12:06 AM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: slowing it down

depends how fast you want to be going when you get behind the balance point
Old 07-14-2005, 12:08 AM

i was just wondering which is more predictable and stable for learning
Old 07-14-2005, 10:19 AM

hayshun is an unknown quantity at this point

i usually clutch straight to balance point and then pull in the clutch, brake and the slip the clutch.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:32 AM

^there's no reason to mess with the clutch once you clutched it up (unless you stall the motor).
I usually clutch it up below the balance point, but i just stay on the throttle til it goes behind the balance point, then i catch it with the brake. But then again, it also depends on how much gearing you have. I have very little gearing. On the other hand, with lots of gearing you can easily pop it right up to the balance point from a stand still.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:36 AM

back to the origional question, i think it's more predictable and safer to learn by using the throttle to get it behind the balance point. Then just let it fall back farther and farther till you begin slowing them back down.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:12 PM

yea thats what ivwe been doing (i got stock gearing on a 900rr), thanks for the advice man. I'll see if i can put it into practice today
Old 07-15-2005, 12:01 AM

looped it today, clutched it up faster and higher than usual by the time i got on the brake i was falling back and i guess accidentally got on the throttle. but man, FI cage definitely paid for itself and then some today. bike still runs, gonna go at it again tomorrow, I WILL GET THESE SLOW WHEELIES DOWN!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:14 AM

PavementEater is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aw0n0
looped it today, clutched it up faster and higher than usual by the time i got on the brake i was falling back and i guess accidentally got on the throttle. but man, FI cage definitely paid for itself and then some today. bike still runs, gonna go at it again tomorrow, I WILL GET THESE SLOW WHEELIES DOWN!

jeeze.. you should have that rear brake drilled in your head. Shouldn't have to go for it, you should already be pressing it.

Good luck and rock out. no more looping.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by PavementEater
jeeze.. you should have that rear brake drilled in your head. Shouldn't have to go for it, you should already be pressing it.

Good luck and rock out. no more looping.
I was on the brake, but it was too late, i was falling off the bike and rolling on the throttle by accident
Old 07-18-2005, 11:10 PM

03gixxer6 is an unknown quantity at this point

dang. that sucks. thats exactly what i dont wanna do but i wanna learn these slow wheelies!!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:27 AM

Albgixxer is an unknown quantity at this point

I was on the brake, but it was too late, i was falling off the bike and rolling on the throttle by accident
I know what you mean. I remember the first time I looped. Keep it up man! Its the only way to learn!!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:47 AM

PavementEater is an unknown quantity at this point

yea man I hear ya. sometimes I forget on the ttr and let go of the brake when i'm almolst touching the tail during a coaster. You have to learn somehow. I rarely do that, I tell you what..

Keep up the progress though man. shoot up some pics when you get a chance.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:00 AM

Just came back from the spot, i have a mental block now getting real afraid when it gets near the balance point, just gotta say **** it again and get on the brake and stay on the throttle...
Old 07-19-2005, 03:39 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

Just came back from the spot, i have a mental block now getting real afraid when it gets near the balance point, just gotta say **** it again and get on the brake and stay on the throttle...
that is the wrong way to solve to the problem...your natural reaction has to be doing the RB when needed...when learning, no one has that in his head and when they feel that weightless feeling of bp they are trying to save their *** and let go...just get used to work on RB...use it more in normal riding and keep saying in your head "REAR BRAKE" while poping the wheel up...good luck...
Old 07-20-2005, 09:49 AM

divex is an unknown quantity at this point

I placed a 12 bar while learning the slow ones, first I tried just to feel the bike while riding fast ones just by pressing the brake and then giving more thottle to stay up. That didnt help much, probably :D but maybe did. First I scraped the bar accidentally, I already thought Im down, but then the bar cought the bike and I pressed the brake to get back. However on the 3rd time when I got the bar I forgot about the rear and it was too late when I remembered it - came down on the side, cages did their job. So it was the last time, I did not use the rear brake I wanted to say just that I feel much more safer when I know that I have it
I am riding the zx9r 99' these are my first 3 months in stunts.

wish luck!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhhhhh mental blocks. They keep holding us back. I am having the same issues. You gotta go for it and be safe covering that brake..... I can't slow down for ish....

Camo Mike
Old 07-20-2005, 12:53 PM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, I started to slow down nicely last friday, I was thinking wou, this this is slowing down nicely, then the exhaust and tail scraped and down we go. 954 down to both sides, cage bended. Tail busted... Passenger peg broke, front one bent.

Radiator dropped off from the mountings. so it pancaked pretty hard..

Yeah and bent the front rim..., it's fixed now, hammered it straight with rubber hammer.

JT
Old 07-20-2005, 01:42 PM
B.T.M.

crtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to behold

i dunno i never tried learning them sitting down really... the way i am learning is just ride a regular wheelie, say in first gear, even second gear.. keep some pressure on the brake, and once it is balanced, give it a little more gas slowly..and what i do is concentrate on the speedo, and i watch my mph drop, then from there you can progress on adjusting brake pressure, and learning how to use it with throttle.. i learned how to use rear brake in about 20 minutes from that method
Old 07-20-2005, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jaket
954 down to both sides, cage bended. Tail busted... Passenger peg broke, front one bent.

Radiator dropped off from the mountings. so it pancaked pretty hard..

Yeah and bent the front rim..., it's fixed now, hammered it straight with rubber hammer.JT
Damn thats a lot of damage, when i looped it was fairly slow i guess everythings pretty much still minty except a big *** dent on my tank and some scratches on the tail section plastics. The FI cage protected everything else, that and the 900 is built for war :YEAH, its gonna go through a lot more soon.

Quick Reply: slowing it down