Dude! Need help removing countershaft sprocket!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Stunt 4 life......

StUnT DaBbA is a decent person
Dude! Need help removing countershaft sprocket!!!!

Probably will sound like a dumb-*** question to most of you but I have an 04 R1 and just got my pro stunt sprocket kit and have been struggling with the gd countershaft sprocket for 2 hours now. How the hell do you keep the countershaft sprocket from spinning while removing the bolt to take it off????? Hve it in 1st gear, put the chain back on, tried vice grips and nothing!!! Damn I'm so close and want to ride this weekend!!!!

Help!!!!!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:20 PM

MR. RYAN SMITH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Dude! Need help removing countershaft sprocket!!!!

Originally Posted by R1-Insanity
Probably will sound like a dumb-*** question to most of you but I have an 04 R1 and just got my pro stunt sprocket kit and have been struggling with the gd countershaft sprocket for 2 hours now. How the hell do you keep the countershaft sprocket from spinning while removing the bolt to take it off????? Hve it in 1st gear, put the chain back on, tried vice grips and nothing!!! Damn I'm so close and want to ride this weekend!!!!

Help!!!!!
YOU WILL HAVE TO HIT IT WITH AIR. MAKE SURE YOU PUT SOME ANTI-SEIZE ON THE SHAFT WHEN YOUR GOING BACK TOGETHER.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:33 PM

Squidmark is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, an air-impact wrench is a must here. I think I pulled mine the ghetto way. Chain back on, jam a piece of wood between the rim and the swing-arm, and crank on that nut with a big old cheater-bar.

I wouldnt suggest this if you are afraid of breaking or bending anything important. Because remember, I am not a mechanic and do not warranty any of my work, lol. But it worked for me.

Thank you, come again.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Stunt 4 life......

Thanks Ryan and Squid. You guys rock!! Cranked up the pressure on the air and bingo!!! 16 tooth counter / 64 tooth rear!! Woo effin hoo!!!!! K another dumb *** question or 2. New chain seems a bit long, normal? Should I take a link out and if so do I grind it and then use my chain breaking tool to remove the rivet? Or use just adjust the chain way back until I HAVE to remove a link?

One last question. What's the trick with the rivet type master link? Do I press the link on and then somehow flange the rivet? What's the deal with these things?

Last thing and then I'm stuntin'!!!!

Save me one more time someone.................. I can taste it!!!!!
Old 07-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Stunt 4 life......

Dude! Need chain help!!!!

K another dumb *** question or 2. New chain seems a bit long, normal? Should I take a link out and if so do I grind it and then use my chain breaking tool to remove the rivet? Or just adjust the chain way back until I HAVE to remove a link?

One last question. What's the trick with the rivet type master link? Do I press the link on and then somehow flange the rivet? What's the deal with these things?

Last thing and then I'm stuntin'!!!!

Save me one more time someone.................. I can taste it!!!!!
Old 07-09-2005, 04:18 AM

wkd1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude, just put on a 520 kit and I held rear brake on(Also still had chain on) to remove the counter sprocket and used a cheater pipe on socket wrench!! No problem, also took 2 links out with a drill grinder and popped it off with a screwdriver. Bought a tool to press on the master link. All worked out great :YEAH
Old 07-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Stunt 4 life......

Thanks WKD1!!! Going to try your method of removing links and counter shaft is replaced already. Used big air!!!

Got some much needed help last night and wicked appreciate this web site.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:47 PM
www.sicriders.com

SIC Nate is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Dude! Need chain help!!!!

Originally Posted by R1-Insanity
K another dumb *** question or 2. New chain seems a bit long, normal? Should I take a link out and if so do I grind it and then use my chain breaking tool to remove the rivet? Or just adjust the chain way back until I HAVE to remove a link?

The further forward your wheel is to the front of the bike, the better...your wheelbase will be shorter making wheelies easier and you can adjust the chain tightness better once it stretches.

To take a link out, no grinding necessary, just use the chain breaking tool that you saidyou have to push the pin out and your good to go.

They sell a tool for press-links, but the "ghetto" way to do it that works well is take a pair of vise grips and a small box wrench (to allow the pin to come through into the circle on the wrench) just keep tightening a little at a time between each of the two master link pins...*be careful not to make it too tight so it will kink. make the spacing match the rest of the chain. some of the really good chains come with a spacer plate to use during this process.

Press-link master have a pin that is a bit bigger than the hole in the plate it needs to go through. Being a hollow pin allows it to squeeze through and expand on the other side. Flanges itself. (they do make a flange tool, but I"ve never seen a presslink fail- only clip style)