F4i fuel pump problem PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 09:41 AM

fvc3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation F4i fuel pump problem PLEASE HELP!!!!

THIS IS ON MY 2001 F4i, 11k MILES…
Wednesday night when I'd set down a wheelie hard, the fuel inj light would come on & the bike would bog down, but then rev back up to normal. The fuel injection light turned off when the bike reved back up to normal. But every time I set down a wheelie nice & gentle, I didn't get that problem.

Last night, I was @ an intersection & put the bike in 1st to take off, the bike died & didn’t start back up. When I from OFF to ON, the fuel pump didn’t prime. So I turned the key off, smacked the tank a few times, turned the key on & then I heard the pump prime & it started. But the bike didn’t stay running.

I let the bike sit for about 20 mins. I turned the key on & heard the pump prime & it started right up. But as soon as put up the kickstand, it died. Then I shut if off & smacked the tank again & it started. I put up the kickstand & it stayed running, but when I put it in 1st, it died again.

It seems like any time the bike was jarred, it would shut off. I think it’s a short, or maybe a plug is loose. I’m gonna start working on it when I get home today. But has anyone had this problem before? Is this common? I have a spare pump from my original tank, but I don’t want to change the pump to find out that’s not the prob. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 01:08 PM

meddling kid is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: F4i fuel pump problem PLEASE HELP!!!!

could be a short or faulty tip sensor switch - up near the headlight assembly, or even a faulty sidestand switch