1st gear wheelies( getting over the fear)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:59 PM

swat1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1st gear wheelies( getting over the fear)?

practice and more practice makes a good stunter
Old 06-14-2005, 05:41 PM

gixxerguy6 is an unknown quantity at this point

here is some advice an old drunk harley guy gave a guy i know once.

"get on the bike and rev it until it goes raaaaararararaararararararararararaarariiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccceeeeee, and then let go of the clutch and as soon as you let go of the clutch press really reallly really hard on the back brake"
Old 06-14-2005, 05:53 PM

crazytexan is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/arnolds1.html
click on the third one down on the far right.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:23 PM

gixxerguy6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gixxerguy6
here is some advice an old drunk harley guy gave a guy i know once.

"get on the bike and rev it until it goes raaaaararararaararararararararararaarariiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccceeeeee, and then let go of the clutch and as soon as you let go of the clutch press really reallly really hard on the back brake"

sorry i was being an *** lol

on a serious note......

take your time and learn at your own pace, baby steps
Old 06-14-2005, 11:01 PM

CHAO5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 02_1_Liter
I just started to try and learn slow stuff this week... I'm not even trying to ride out a wheelie at this point. I'm just launching over and over, trying to get the launch on lock.

Thats prolly the best thing you can do. It does come... try staggered with some bounce in it.. That'll stop you from accelerating as much and give it more jump. Just keep doing little steps, and it will 'click'.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:16 PM

djkiley is an unknown quantity at this point

i really want to learn the basic stunts... wheelie, stoppie. iguess i need to learn throttle control first but i don't want to trash my bike! ev1 says throttle control is key. you would think this **** would carry over from the huffy i rode as a kid or dirt bikes... but damn i suck on the big machine!
Old 06-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Billyt
I am just starting to stunt.... I am trying to do firsrt gear wheelies at about 25 30 mph.... How did you all get over the fear of leting the bike come all the way to balance point then catching it with the break..... How long did it take you for that fear to go away..... Any tips would help...... Do you think before the summer is over I will be able to ride it at balance point consistantly......
What is there to be afraid of? If your bike is pretty and you dont wanna mess it up, dont stunt it. Get a junk bike to learn on. Stuning turns bikes to junk, even if you dont wreck. **** starts just falling apart after a while. If you are scared of getting hurt, just take your time... Everybody gets hurt at some point.

The key to overcoming fear of anything is desensitizing yourself by repetition. Baby steps.

Getting over your fears is the first step, once it isnt scary anymore you can concentrate on technique.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:22 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

like few said already, you have to say fu(k it...
Old 06-15-2005, 03:29 AM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by Lb3

The key to overcoming fear of anything is desensitizing yourself by repetition. Baby steps.
good stuff...
Old 06-15-2005, 03:32 AM
AuthorityStunts

KROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to behold

Pull the clutch in and twist the throttle all the way then let it out ps its gonna hurt but it will make you less scared next time
Old 06-15-2005, 05:45 AM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

" really want to learn the basic stunts... wheelie, stoppie. iguess i need to learn throttle control first but i don't want to trash my bike! ev1 says throttle control is key. you would think this **** would carry over from the huffy i rode as a kid or dirt bikes... but damn i suck on the big machine!"

yep, I know that 954 feeling. Just use very little throttle. Very slow speed, fast walking pace, then clutch in, flip the throttle and let the clutch off, don't drop, put let it out pretty fast, front start to raise, just look forward and wait until you cannot see forward, you are not high untill you loose visibility. then start to brake. just try to keep the throttle hand almoust locked, try to use very little throttle control.

Lowered rear tyre pressure helps, also it helps alot to turn up the idle over 2000, because when you still try to control the throttle, you cannot turn it totally off, less engine brake.

Also it has helped little with 954, that I don't grip the throttle from the center of the throttle tube, this makes you more twisty because body position changes throttle input easily. Grip the the throttle so, that you hold the bar end with your little finger. this gives more solid feel to the throttle.

Also, if you are using big, thick motorcycle boots, loose them, and get some lighter shoes, they help alot with brake control.

JT
Old 06-19-2005, 12:42 AM
Crashing SUCKS!!!

LAST CALL is an unknown quantity at this point

Launch the 1st gear wheelies small at first and hit the rear brake everytime until you get comfortable doing it. This may take awhile but you have to get used to the idea of hitting the rear brake. Pretty soon it will become habit and easy to do. Then you can launch them higher and higher. Make sure you're smooth on the throttle because 1st gear is pretty twitchy. Good luck!!
Old 06-19-2005, 01:20 PM
AuthorityStunts

KROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to behold

I figured out yesterday that you should keep the rear seat on if your planning to hit the rear brake. i was trying to scrape and couldnt reach the rear brake whoops........
Old 06-19-2005, 01:28 PM

bahamaspete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tdeal28
I learned Second Gear Stand Up's first. I could obviously pop a wheelie in first but could not ride it for crap. Second gear comes up a little slower and it less twitchy. After I learned balance point on second it was easier to realate to the balance point in first...
There you have it!!!!!!!
That how I learned!!