Riding Again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 01:34 PM

onsighter514d is an unknown quantity at this point
Riding Again!

Just got my bike back two days ago. I hadnt riden since i looped over 4 months ago. I felt comfotable riding right away, but wheelies are a different story. I clutched a few small ones and powered a few small ones, but i dont have the ***** to clutch standing anymore. Even when i powered a few standing, i cant seem to keep the bars straight. I almost went into a few slappers. I know i sound like a *****, but what would be a good routine to get my ***** back and work on gettin to BP now that i know crashing can happen
Old 06-10-2005, 01:37 PM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve
Re: Riding Again!

glad to hear your back on a bike...if you havent rode in a few months its gonna take you a while to get back into the groove..crashing sticks in your head and its something only going out and practicing will help.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:37 PM
hate practitioner

-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough

u aint the only one this happened to i was/am in the same boat, i get my new sprocket this weekend and schwartz been helping me out, just get back on the horse
Old 06-10-2005, 01:39 PM

KungFu954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, don't feel too bad I'm in the same boat, I didn't loop but last year I almost did on the last ride of the season. This year my wheelies suck the leather cheerio. However, I will tell you what is kinda working for me and that's just some good riding. Go out for an afternoon with no intentions of doing any stunts and just ride. It really does help. At least it has for me. Good luck. and be safe.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:45 PM

thankx a ton fellas!
Old 06-10-2005, 05:04 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

It's been a long cold winter, and this weather isn't helping. My wheelies are sucking so bad right now it's not even funny. Video tape will help so you know you're not too high, and just practice.

Right before I got my cage and **** on my bike I was riding standups in first gear with the forks straight out, but then I crashed my street bike and that's been giving me a mental block I can't get past, and I never clutch hard enough or stay on the gas.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:34 PM

Thats what im doing. Little ***** poppies. im too scared to clutch standing, and i barely do it sitting. Im getting pissed trying to get over this mental block
Old 06-12-2005, 06:18 PM

snowrunner1477 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know how you feel, i have been in Iraq for about 9 months now. I took leave about a month ago and rode for the first time in almost 10 months. I thought I would jump right back on and ride wheelies like I had been dreaming about all that time, but man was I wrong! A little one footer felt like 12'in if ya know what I mean. Anyway I had two weeks at home and I told myself I WAS going to get over the fear and just do it. SO, I rode everyday, on back roads and kept poppin them knowing that the one I just did was crap compared to the ones I was doing before I left. IT COMES BACK!!!!! And when it does you will know it because you will do somethig like hold it a little longer than you used to or pop it higher than before. You will start to get in that groove again. By the time I left(two weeks mind you) my sitdowns were better than before and I was riding stand up's for half a mile.... I had never tried stand ups before so believe me when I say it will come back. So now I have about 3 months left until I get home again, so I will have to start all over again.LOL..... Good luck man and DONT WORRY!!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 01:42 PM

jonld2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by onsighter514d
Just got my bike back two days ago. I hadnt riden since i looped over 4 months ago. I felt comfotable riding right away, but wheelies are a different story. I clutched a few small ones and powered a few small ones, but i dont have the ***** to clutch standing anymore. Even when i powered a few standing, i cant seem to keep the bars straight. I almost went into a few slappers. I know i sound like a *****, but what would be a good routine to get my ***** back and work on gettin to BP now that i know crashing can happen
Im in the exact same boat. Looped it 3 months ago and didnt have a cage so i pretty much totalled it. Now I got another engine and everything back to where I can ride it but I still dont have a cage and Im just not in the mood to go through that all again. I really miss the wheelies though.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:01 AM
Crashing SUCKS!!!

LAST CALL is an unknown quantity at this point

This was a problem for me when I looped last year doing a 2nd gear sitdown. I got messed up really bad. Shattered my left wrist completely, tore all the muscles in my right shoulder and had a hole in my knee down to the bone. When I got back on the bike a few months later the idea of crashing stuck in my head because of all the pain I went through. I was riding with a cast on my broken left wrist and I was doing little pop up sit downs. I decided to really launch one and try to ride it out and I brought it up so high my broken hand slipped off the handlebar and I looped again. I was wearing only shorts and a wifebeater and got some narly road rash. Fastforward to this year. One month ago I was riding home. By now my sitdowns and my standups were pretty decent. I see this pretty steep hill and I decide to launch a 1st gear standup. I've never done a wheelie up a really steep hill before so I said **** it and went for it. I got it going pretty good and then I hit this dip in the hill out of nowhere and sends me over. I bang up my knees really bad and ride the bike home. I've crashed bad three times stunting and I'm still at it. The moral of the story is - just grab your ***** and go for it. :YEAH :YEAH Good luck and be safe!!