F3 Trans noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:33 AM

Timmmy is an unknown quantity at this point
F3 Trans noise

I have a 97' F3 with 43000 miles on it, and no thats not a typo. The transmission is starting to go to poop. It is misses second gear alot and it makes some funny noises while rolling.

My question.....

Is it worth it to rebuild the trans with that many miles on the motor?

Or is it a good idea to find a F3 motor and trans to replace it?

Or is it possible to put a newer motor in out of some different bike?

What are some good candidates for swaps and replacements?

Thanks for the help
Old 06-01-2005, 12:39 AM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: F3 Trans noise

That mileage isn't that high. I'd say if you know what your doing rebuild the tranny and engine while your at it. Otherwise you can pick up f3 motors on ebay for like $600, but who knows if it will have a good tranny or one with bent forks like yours.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:46 AM

Bent forks? Is that what the problem is? I really don't know what I am doing with bike internals. I have done manual car trans and engines, do those compare? I just got off the phone with a friend that has a good r6 motor for cheap. Would that fit?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:49 AM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timmmy
Bent forks? Is that what the problem is? I really don't know what I am doing with bike internals. I have done manual car trans and engines, do those compare? I just got off the phone with a friend that has a good r6 motor for cheap. Would that fit?
I have no idea on the r6. With enough messing and fabbing you can make anything mount. But I don't think its worth it, just sell it or throw another f3/2 motor in there. If its jumping out of 2nd into neutral when u give it power thats the shift fork thats bent. I shop is gonna charge a couple thousand to do a rebuild. I have never done one myself so I can't really compare them to a car one. If you don't really know what your doing i'd just try to find a decent running f3 motor to put in there. Even a monkey can do a simple motor swap. Also u sure the chain and stuff is all good. A chain with a flat spot can make some funny noises too. Is the only problem asides noise the 2nd gear thing?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:49 PM

catach42 is an unknown quantity at this point

u can buy another f3 for what it will cost u to rebuild that motor and tranny, i would suggest just buying a motor
Old 06-01-2005, 03:40 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

I have an f3 motor with a cracked block. All the internals are good, had less than 10k miles on it. If you know how to take apart and reassemble bottom ends, you can have it for $100
Old 06-03-2005, 12:04 AM

$100 bucks.... thats is pretty tempting..... PM with more info and where it is located
Old 06-03-2005, 08:46 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Timmmy
$100 bucks.... thats is pretty tempting..... PM with more info and where it is located
pm sent...
Old 06-08-2005, 09:50 PM
bp chaser

I just took it apart. *** shipping a block

Last edited by MikeM; 03-17-2006 at 08:38 AM.