Sanding Fairings to primer and/or paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 12:43 AM

ToesToTheSun is an unknown quantity at this point
Sanding Fairings to primer and/or paint

hey I was just wondering how I should go about doing this. What grit, brand of sandpaper should I use or should I even use sandpaper. What do you guys recommend, because I honestly have no clue. I plan on probably rattle canning it but may give it to a guy to shoot just one solid color for cheap. How about getting the decals off underneath the clearcoat? And the tank, how do I sand that and with what? how would that look rattle canned?

lemme know
Old 05-06-2005, 01:43 AM

waltea469 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sanding Fairings to primer and/or paint

I just finished painting my bike, and although I can't tell you much about getting the decals out from under the clearcoat, I can however tell you how to sand it. First you need to sand the original paint off with any brand (I just used some DA paper) 400 grit. After the original paint is gone prime it with some fill and sand primer, then sand the primer dry or wet, doesnt matter, with some 600 grit. You might have to do this several times to put a build on the surface. Shoot the paint. I'm just telling you how I prepared mine for the guy that painted it, and it looks good so it must be right. As for just can spraying, I don't know, they have some pretty nifty paint out these days and the can paint keeps looking better and better.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:21 AM

johnnyharris is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=ToesToTheSun]hey I was just wondering how I should go about doing this. What grit, brand of sandpaper should I use or should I even use sandpaper. What do you guys recommend, because I honestly have no clue. I plan on probably rattle canning it but may give it to a guy to shoot just one solid color for cheap. How about getting the decals off underneath the clearcoat? And the tank, how do I sand that and with what? how would that look rattle canned?

lemme know [/QUOTE

If you're gonna rattle can it I wouldn't bother w/ primer. Just use a red scotch brite and scuff everything until there are no shiny spots.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:26 AM

about the decals-you could try a heat gun (be careful) or an adhesive remover from a auto body supplier. Most guys would probably tell you just to peel them off.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:30 PM

ToesToTheSun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnnycareless
about the decals-you could try a heat gun (be careful) or an adhesive remover from a auto body supplier. Most guys would probably tell you just to peel them off.
yea I know that Johnny but I was talking about the ones under the clearcoat. I guess if I kept sanding then eventually I'd get to em'

thanks
Old 05-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Get-er-done

Kerns BBO is an unknown quantity at this point

320 wet sand
Old 05-06-2005, 05:19 PM

[QUOTE=ToesToTheSun]yea I know that Johnny but I was talking about the ones under the clearcoat. I guess if I kept sanding then eventually I'd get to em'

sorry man, came out wrong in type. I meant just peel up an edge w/ yer fingernail (or I guess a razor blade since yer clear is too thick ) because you'll have to feather out the tape line left by the decals
Old 05-06-2005, 08:26 PM

kxrider is an unknown quantity at this point

pull off all the stickers ruff it up a little with 320 or 400 wet or dry doesnt matter then spray ways no need to primer unless the bike is all diffrent colors now and you are using a thin paint
Old 05-06-2005, 10:42 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

KC Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

Just scuff everything up good with some 320 prime it and sand it out again then shoot your color