AAAHHHH! My #&$#*@# Subframe!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 03:06 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: AAAHHHH! My #&$#*@# Subframe!!!!

Originally Posted by Mr.Gix
You better be making frames then too. It's just gonne snap off the tabs on the back of the frame instead of the sub. I would rather just weld up my sub if i break it.
Yeah really. Or at least make it with 8-10 mounting points.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:33 PM

SAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fitzonthemark
It's not going to break my main frame, I'm not parking my bike on the bar and I don't EVER slam my bike on the bar. I can barely tap the bar and it cracks the subframe. I just want to be able to scrub the bar without breaking something. I've heard of people using an 03 1000 subframe, has anybody done that here? What's involved?

Maybe you should re-tighten the subframe bolts everytime you ride. Or try changing out the factory subframe bolts with better ones. (bolt, nut with teflon, washers) keep it simple
Old 04-15-2005, 03:33 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

sprocketz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr.Gix
You better be making frames then too. It's just gonne snap off the tabs on the back of the frame instead of the sub. I would rather just weld up my sub if i break it.
i seriously dubt it unless your really fukin slamming that bar hard, but i guess well see

and mxd are you going to intergrate a 12 bar on that subframe?
Old 04-15-2005, 03:38 PM

od6936 is an unknown quantity at this point

The subframe on the 04 Gixxers bend like f'n crazy. They twist and **** like nothin.....seriously, who ever hooks it up on those subframes and put that **** out is gonna get PAID!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 03:42 PM

Mr.Gix is a jewel in the roughMr.Gix is a jewel in the roughMr.Gix is a jewel in the roughMr.Gix is a jewel in the rough

Well you gotta figure that your sub is braking b/c it's supposed to. It's the weekest point. The subs and the tabs are designed to take a compression load. Scraping your bar is pulling on it or putting a tension load on it. It's a matter of resistence. Suzuki probably figures replacing the sub would be much better than the whole frame. Now the problem with beefing up the subframe is twofold. yeah your sub isn't gonna bend or break, but similar to the sub the frame tabs are deisgned for compression too. now when you start putting them into tension and the sub won't give, it has to give somewhere. That somewhere is gonna be right there where it bolts up. One thing i was thinking about doing was getting a low grade bolt to act like a shear pin. Hopefully the bolt would break before the frame. Then all you gotta do is throw a new one in. That's my
Old 04-15-2005, 03:43 PM

Mr.Gix is a jewel in the roughMr.Gix is a jewel in the roughMr.Gix is a jewel in the roughMr.Gix is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sprocketz
i seriously dubt it unless your really fukin slamming that bar hard, but i guess well see

and mxd are you going to intergrate a 12 bar on that subframe?
If you aren't slamming it hard to begin with it shouldn't break.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:44 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Or just ride steel bikes
Old 04-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point

No matter what something has to give at some point. Making the sub super strong will make the frame tabs the weakest link.

I would opt for a better way to mount the sub to the frame (weld a bar in between the tabs) and buy a subframe instead of dealing with the frame itself.

My .02 but I have a scrape bar that still has paint on it anyway so trust your own judgement...
Old 04-15-2005, 03:46 PM

Yeah like where do you stop. Reinforce this then you gotta reinforce that. It's a viscous cycle. Find someone who can weld aluminum and just keep fixing it.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a new frame and subframe and dip them in a HUGE vat of JBweld and you should be fine......
Old 04-15-2005, 03:48 PM

sprocketz is an unknown quantity at this point

no its weak and flimsy stock you can grab the tail and twist it around but a couple supports on it and your good i swear my boy gots a gix 6 and i watched him slam the bar check out that video. and if your going to hit the bar harder than that i dont know what to tell you.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:19 PM

AC H.I.D is an unknown quantity at this point

just use zipties 2 hold the subframe on they'll break b4 the tabs will!
Old 04-15-2005, 04:53 PM

zx636skiv is an unknown quantity at this point

Or you could just ziptie the 12 bar on!!

And no...lawnmower push bars don't work! Messin' with ya Jesse!!

And yet another suzi frame bites the dust!

Wish I could see AC Farias' sub w/o the bodywork, that thing looks trick!
Old 04-15-2005, 05:02 PM

02_1_Liter is an unknown quantity at this point

some people you just cant reach....
Old 04-15-2005, 05:45 PM

mikkee is a decent person

Originally Posted by fitzonthemark
I've got a 2004 GSXR 600 and I keep breaking subframes. I know other people have had this issue b/c I've seen people talking about it on here. I've tried boxing the subframe in with diamond plate, but apparently I'm not doing it right. Is there anybody that's found a good fix for this? I really like my gixxer, I don't want another bike, I just want the ucking tail to quit falling off.
Go online Racing 905 - give aaron a call - they do steel subframe supports from your 12 bar to your frame and from your rear passenger pegs to your rear sets. I have both, and mine never really moves even with hard hits that involve the 12 bar or anywhere in the tail section.

late
Old 04-15-2005, 06:12 PM

AC H.I.D is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 02_1_Liter
some people you just cant reach....

lol think about what u said and apply it 2 yerself
Old 04-15-2005, 07:52 PM

02_1_Liter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AC H.I.D
lol think about what u said and apply it 2 yerself
True that, I can be just as stubborn as most....
Old 04-15-2005, 07:58 PM

-MXD- is an unknown quantity at this point

i looked at the frame and the tabs look sturdy. the subframes break near the end, right where the weakest part of the subframe is. you cant really weld the subframes because its cast aluminum.....it would break the first time you hit it hard. waste of time & money.

it mounts in 3 diferent places to the frame, very sturdy all it needs is the rear part of the subframe to be re enforced and it should work pretty good.

and suzuki didnt design the subframe to be the weakest part of the bike....thats nonsense. they are weak because they are race bikes, they arent made to take a beating, they are trying to make their bikes as light as possible
Old 04-15-2005, 08:00 PM

-MXD- is an unknown quantity at this point

and no i wouldnt have an intergrated 12 bar on them. if the bar gets messed up you would have to replace the entire subframe. it would be just like the stock subframe, but it would be made with steel and have some supports so it wont flex as much.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:06 PM

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

IMO I would not want break away bolts--fu*k that--break away so the bike can fall on top of you? Been there done that--not fun--I'd rather see the cracks coming.

Now check this **** out--I tested these CHROMOLY support beams out today and they are absolutely AMAZING--I hit the bar REAL hard like 2-3 times--**** held up PERFECT--EVERYBODY SHOULD GET THESE--they are much better than the steel home depot ties....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1043.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	133367  

Quick Reply: AAAHHHH! My #&$#*@# Subframe!!!!