keeping Standups going

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:10 AM

frazla is an unknown quantity at this point
keeping Standups going

Im a newbie to stuntin, ive read the wheelie post which helped a lot. Practice over the last few weeks has got my sit downs and standups good, the problem is keeping them going for a long time, I'm running out of revs. I ride a 99 f4 and am using 2nd gear, its all stock.

Anyone know what i gotta do to keep them going

Old 04-04-2005, 07:21 AM

stunt1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: keeping Standups going

Ride 'em higher.Be careful.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:44 AM

They are usualy higher than in the pic, think im just comin up
Old 04-04-2005, 10:02 AM

onsighter514d is an unknown quantity at this point

Get it higher, the higher you are the slower your revs will climb. You want to get to Balance Point.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:07 AM

John LegionST is a decent person

if you are gaining rpms then you aren't high enough. You need to cover the rear brake, standing offset (left foot on passenger peg) helps take some weight off your hands. you can actually go PAST BP and scrub speed once you haev it down good. Work on trying to ride at a constant rpm, not too high though, try around 8-9K. Good luck, take your time and be safe! post back with progess or questions
Old 04-04-2005, 10:17 AM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

I would suggest learning first gear, it will teach you to hit bp and keep it there, once you can go far in first gear without revving out you can launch it in 2nd and ride it forever.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:31 AM

very true and maybe a good idea, it hurts a lot less when you fall goin 30mph instead of 65mph or faster!

remember to cover the rear brake, and you don't need to stab it when you come back far, just tap it and maybe drag it for a few feet till the front end comes down a bit

Stay away from the mousetrap!!! lol

for those that don't know, mousetrapping it is when you slam the rear brake way too hard and the front wheel come crashing down, usually it leads to a tip over crash and it never feels good, for you or the bike!
Old 04-04-2005, 10:41 AM

bladerunner is an unknown quantity at this point

Great advice John....
Old 04-04-2005, 11:15 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Ive been wheeling my R6's since I started riding in 01, last year when I was at my best on that bike I could hold balance point and ride 2nd and 3rd out pretty good. Now that Ive learned brake control I would still have to say I was chasing my whellies then.

Anyways bought a 50 and rode it all day everyday inside my empty 10,000 sq/foot shop I was moving into over the winter. I fell alot learning and I even ****ed my ankle real bad and was on crutches for a while. Also bought a 03 636 in this time and put a +16 sprocket on it and crash cages and a 12 bar. Ive been riding it now for about a week and Ive done a longer wheelie on that then Ive ever done in my life. 1st day on it I was just getting used to the big sprocket and the bike itself 2nd day I was slowing wheelies down and every day was getting slower. Now Im at the point where I only put it down if (A) my legs and arms get tired (B) theres cops or traffic gets in the way (C) the road gets real bumpy and it ****sme up too much.

So the best advice I can give to you is learn the back brake on anything you can and then transfer what youve learned to your big bike.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by bladerunner
Great advice John....
thanks blade, i try. trying to help everyone out as much as i can and trying to keep everyone safe while helping them learn.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:03 PM

Yea cheers everyone

Ill practice at getting some more height and using the back brake more. The only thing i find when i get more height is sometimes it can start to wobble?? Im using the rear passenger peg for my left foot, is it just getting my wait balanced?
Old 04-04-2005, 12:28 PM

NovaMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by frazla
Yea cheers everyone

Ill practice at getting some more height and using the back brake more. The only thing i find when i get more height is sometimes it can start to wobble?? Im using the rear passenger peg for my left foot, is it just getting my wait balanced?
The wobble your talkin about is fairly common. If its doin the wobble your gettin close to BP you just gotta kick it back alittle farther untill you hear your RPM's stay constant. Im not positive on this but what it feels like to me is that when i get wobbles its becase im not smooth on the throttle and im "choppy". You can ride a wheelie out with some wobble in it and still be fairly safe but if you feel the bike gettin REALLY wobbley then its time to set her down befor you loose it.

Like the other guys said, learn that rear brake because that will give you confidence to be able to bring the bike farther up into BP without loopin it. Once you have the rear brake learned somewhat try to control the wheelie by keeping your throttle hand at a constant position (even if it pushes you past BP) and use the rear brake to bring it down into "the sweet spot".

Im also a huge believer in learning wheelies in 1st gear. Not only does it teach you throttle control much faster but also its not goin to hurt as bad if somethin happens.

Biggest thing is to take your time and let it come to you. All you gotta do is get over the fear of "im goin to loop" because theres a good chance that your already gettin the feeling of your goin to. But in reality you gotta push yourself to bring the bike farther back. Once you do you will relize.. "what the hell was i thinkin, Balance point is actually back here." We were all there once, and the first time you hit actual BP your goin to think your goin to loop but just take it slow and use that rear brake.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:34 PM

good advice Nova about keeping the throttle hand constant, you have to move it a TINY TINY TINY bit to modulate the wheelie and power input, but it is basically "locked". If you are needing to use too much brake, then you need to back off a TINY bit.

As far as the wobble, your learn to control that, but for now you could try a little bit lower air pressure, but dont go below 20psi on the highway.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:45 AM

palladin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FHL
I would suggest learning first gear, it will teach you to hit bp and keep it there, once you can go far in first gear without revving out you can launch it in 2nd and ride it forever.
dont listen to him he doesnt know what he is talking about

rock it higher and get more comfy with it being higher, and just keep going higher and higher until the bike feels like it is almost coming out from under you and then you have found bp

keep it in the bp and you can rock it out forever