929 Motor Mount Broke

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 11:37 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future
929 Motor Mount Broke

Its always something new breaking on this thing--2001 929---picture explains it all. The bolt is'nt stuck--its in perfect shape and loose. Engine block said bye bye. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	131173  
Old 04-01-2005, 11:40 PM

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future
Re: 929 Motor Mount Broke

I thin I'm going to risk riding without it--I dont have the money or time just yet to replace the entire bottom end on this thing. The mount in the pic I posted is just behind the upper head engine mount on the stator side of the bike. So I still got both left/right upper mounts, the clutch side/mid mount and the tranny mount holding the motor in. Should I risk riding it?
Old 04-01-2005, 11:53 PM

zrex is an unknown quantity at this point

doing what you do (stunting) i dont think i would want to risk breaking another mount. find a GOOD alum. welder and have him weld/brace the mount.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:50 AM
love you loving to hate

Six Eight Nate is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah...any decent tig welder can patch that up for you no problem...then you just drill and tap that sucka and bizamb, you good to go....you can ride without that mount...but you're adding additional stress to the rest of the motor mounts...problem is that additional stress will then make those mounts more prone to breaking...well you get the idea...when I break something on my bike, i ussually attempt to fix it the ABSOLUTELY best I can afford and have time for right down to the penny and the second hand...that way it's as secure as you can get it and you can ride easy...some people just leave good enough as enough and to each their own...but i find i can manage to keep my bike going easier if i just hit everything head on as it comes down the pike...i would get that sucka welded up and drill and tap it and you got yourself going again...welder will charge you less than 20 bucks for that job....but if your feelin like your 929 is cursed....sell her to me =)
Old 04-02-2005, 01:10 PM

Mhavemann is an unknown quantity at this point

[mine broke in the same place, bro I havent fixed it yet just leave it till you get the cash dont worrie about it.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:22 PM

thanks---Its not the cash--I just dont think I got the nerve to drop my motor out right now--I think I'm going to just ride it as it is until another one breaks (hopefully not).
Old 04-02-2005, 07:54 PM
NME

NME is a decent person

Originally Posted by R1Alvin
thanks---Its not the cash--I just dont think I got the nerve to drop my motor out right now--I think I'm going to just ride it as it is until another one breaks (hopefully not).
I can't really tell what's wrong from the pic....
Old 04-02-2005, 07:59 PM

Look at the engine side where the bolt is supposed to go--it broke off--you can see the threads.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:01 PM

Hell--ya know what--I might not have to drop the motor--I've been peeking around from above and there seems to be quite a bit of space above the mount but I would have to take the tank off and maybe the throttle bodies--but it looks like it can be welded from above. Im going to go rip my tank off right now....
Old 04-08-2005, 07:05 PM
NME

NME is a decent person

That suuuuuuuuuxxxxxxxxxx!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:39 PM

Okay gents its fixed...And I did NOT have to drop the motor to do it. I removed the tank, airbox and the throttlebodies. I covered the intakes going into the block with duct tape and brought the entire bike over to the welders. They used a wire feed--and there was plenty of room to weld with the throttlebodies gone. Drilled, tapped and now she'd going back together--Here's a pic--I dont know if it will come out clear though:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1024.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	132238   Click image for larger version

Name:	weld.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	132239  
Old 04-09-2005, 01:52 AM

el nino is an unknown quantity at this point

holy uglyness weld!

i hope you didnt pay more than 40$ for that, none the less it works.

i m a TIg welder and want t brace my shiz just cause i fear situations like these
Old 04-09-2005, 08:08 AM

The Jeweler is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just gonna say you could of used a heli coil. From what i understood your bolt broke off in the motor mount right?? You can use a bolt extractor and pull out the old bolt. Drill the hole out and either re-thread it or just insert a heli-coil
Old 04-09-2005, 10:42 AM

no look at the pic at the beginning on this thread--the block just broke completely off--bolt was in perfect shape. I payed 50 dollars for that weld/drill/tap job and to have my radiatiors tab welded back on so I can stop using zip-ties. I dont care what the weld looks like--this guy I use is in his mid 70's and has been doing this **** all his life--his weld's may look ugly but his reputation around here is really really high--all the local bike shops use this guy. Hopefully this **** wont break--I'm just glad I did'nt have to drop the motor.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:02 PM

zx636skiv is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah, I wouldn't worry about his welds at all...he has that kind of rep. I have known him to weld on bikes and 4X4s without the weld breaking. That one does look ugly, but he probalby did that to build it up for durability, plus, no room to grind it down with the motor in place. Looks good...and yeah...your bike(among other things) breaks a lot!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 10:12 PM
NME

NME is a decent person

You think that weld looks bad....... Wait till you get those sub braces........ EWWWWWWWWWW! But they look better than mine and mine haven't broken! :YEAH

Last edited by donotstuntanr6; 04-10-2005 at 10:13 PM. Reason: szdtrh