crossing over?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 11:41 AM
jny

jny is an unknown quantity at this point
crossing over?

sorry if u guys covered this before in advance. do u gotta know the fast highway stuff before u start parking lot? i always assumed it was like learning to crawl before u walk kinda thing. im in the upstate ny area and the parking lot stuff hasnt caught on up here yet. however ive picked up in other threads high speed highway **** when out few years ago and the tickets and risks are catching up to me. i have a pretty decent wheelie but i have no brake control. ive been riding a gsxr 1000 and i thinks its covered alot of sins and gave me distance w/ throttle alone. howerever learning and making mistakes at 70mph sucks. is there a point when ur ready to cross over? i know a 03 1k isnt the best "stuntbike" for learning but its all i got now. im not looking to do 12s yet but i would like to maintain a nice slow contolled standup. i picked up a 905 cage and scotts dampner. my goal is to ride a 20-30mph stand up and control it and not completly destroy my street bike. tips ive picked up is get out of my rut is learn the brake and staggerd standup. ive acepped the fact that im a throttle jockey w/ a big bike that makes me a poser. i wanna move to the next level and that whole "learn the brake" thing keeps coming up.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:53 AM

John LegionST is a decent person
Re: crossing over?

don't get down on yourself bro, sounds to me like you're doing ok. If you want to learn to ride a slower controled wheelie, use first gear, clutch it up to where you feel balaced (standing stagered, left foot rear prg) and then start to use the rear brake, trying to ride the wheelie higher each time. Try not to ride the rear brake too hard cause you will overheat it and it can fade and even stop working. you aren't going to have to kill the brake, just little taps and drags do a lot when you are rollin at 30-40 mph cause of the engine brake. Just try to be as smooth as possible with the throttle. Also, if you'd like to go the other route, learning slow rolls first, that's fine too. Turn your idle up to around 3000-3500 and clutch it up from close to a standstill, try to rock it back SMOOTHLY and use the rear brake. the idea is to roll using nothing but idle and rear brake. Most likely you are going to drop you bike sometime during this learning process, so if you're worried (i don't think you are because you bought a cage) about that i would get a stuntbike, gsxr 600's make great learning bikes. Lets us know how the progress is going, lots of prectice is what it takes! good luck!
Old 04-01-2005, 12:54 PM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

^ what he said,i wouldnt plan on learning lot stunts on a bike in great shape,in the long run it'll be cheaper to buy a beater bike you wont have to worry about keeping pretty.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:53 PM
jny

im not down on myself... however everthing i know so far is self learned. i just figured to take things to the next level i gotta keep an open mind and start learning from other guys. ive gone as far as i can w/o making some changes. its tough in my area cuz nobody is really into it. so u guys are saying **** can the street stuff? u can start in the parking lot? i just figured most guys started fast and slowed it down after the high speed stuff was on lock. i think im gonna look into a smaller bike. the cops are done warning riders in this area. they see u do anything they wanna throw your *** in "the chair" and flip the switch. thanks for the help.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:31 AM

CHAO5 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's gonna help a lot if you are comfortable even being up in a wheelie, so you're ahead of the game there. Learn staggered and take your time and get used to clutching it up. Instead of slamming the throttle shut when you get scared or come up too high, use the rear break to bring yourself down. Gently and smoothly. Eventually the rear break will become your friend, and when you're @ BP, you can use it to slow down the bike without putting down the wheelie. It dosen't happen overnight, but you will prolly notice improvement from session to session. Good luck, wear your gear, and be ready to have a crunchy bike.

Just remember that there can be the nicest shiniest 2005 whatever 1000 with some dude in an ICON outfit trying to act cool at your spot, and all the gurls will still be looking @ you on your crunchy bike while you're rocking yer slow shiat in front of them. :YEAH
Old 04-02-2005, 10:45 AM
jny

i hear ya on that. im very comfortable doin stand ups and i think i have the basics. i can ride a second gear for about 3/4 mile with the on and off throttle tecqnique. eventuly i pick up speed and rev out doing that. ive been stuck there. i figure lil work w/ the brake and moving the left foot back will open some things up for me. once i get that on lock i wanna move into the slow stuff. as far as my bike it a 03 w/ about 5k. its like new. however i bought it to ride. i bought it new but i dont enjoy cruising. i wanna play. if i do keep it i dont wanna destroy it but im not gonna baby it either. maybee i need to drop it few times and get that issue over w/. riding season is close so i need to make up my mind on this bike. my concern is i dont wanna make it to crunchy and decide its the wrong bike for me to learn on. i have read a few times on these threads zip ties ad character. another thought i had was picking up some stunt plastic. trying to run 2 bikes wont work for me. ill destroy them both. im not a guy that can jump on any bike either. i get comfortable on one bike. i need a good solid bike and stick w/ it. if i can get a few years out off this 1000 and have fun then the bike served it purpose. the question that i dont have a answer for is a 1000 gonna hold me up?