Stupid clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 07:44 AM

2k2f4i is an unknown quantity at this point
Stupid clutch question

Prepared for the flaming..
I used to power everything up, now I'm trying to clutch it up.. I did like the wheelie tutorial said and am trying it in second, Here is my question? I use 2 fingers on the clutch (middle and pointer finger) and the rest of my hand is on the clip on. I can't pull the clutch all the way in because it hits my pinky and other finger. Is this the right way to do it? When I used my whole hand to pull in the clutch it felt wierd like the bike was going to come up too fast and I was going to fall off because I only had one hand "holding on" to the clip on..
Old 03-25-2005, 08:17 AM
JMZ
Like I Give A Fu@k!

JMZ is a decent person
Re: Stupid clutch question

I use just my pointer finger when I clutch it.....
Old 03-25-2005, 08:38 AM

forcefedfreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RuffRyder99
I use just my pointer finger when I clutch it.....

Yeah one finger. For me it's almost like my pointer isn't strong enough to hold the clutch in for a long time, so like the resistance of the clutch, with the strength of my finger releases the clutch at just the right speed. if that makes any sense. I guess what i'm saying is, it's not really a conscious thing snapping out the clutch. I kinda just take my finger off it.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:42 AM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

your one pointer finger,allows for a better grip on the bar.,if your having problems with the clutch smashing ur finger trim the lever down to fit only 2 fingers for normal riding then u can slide ur hand down some and use 1 finger for wheelies
Old 03-25-2005, 08:45 AM

John LegionST is a decent person

I use two, I clutch EVERY SINGLE WHEELIE I DO! I can't remember the last time i powered it up. The clutch is sooooo much more consistant.

To answer your question, yes, use two fingers, you are doing it right, just make sure the the clutch is adjusted correctly. There should be a couple mm of slack. An easy way for a newbie to adjust a clutch is to take up the slack in the lever, and then a dime should fit between the lever and the perch (sideways of coarse, thats like 2mm) If you can't get the dime between the lever and perch, your clucth is adjusted too tight, and if there is WAY too much slack, tighten it up a bit, cause then two finger clutch action is much better! Learn to love it, it will become second nature, the cltuch and rear brake are your two best friends for wheelies.