stand up wheelie's

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 04:02 PM

Elementum Vita is an unknown quantity at this point
stand up wheelie's

So I know this has been covered like a billion times but i figure i'll ask again anyway. I got pretty decent sit down wheelie's still too much of a pus to ride them at bp, already looped my r6 doing that $hit and really don't wanna be replacing me brand new r1. Anyhow so i'm practicing the other day and decide to try a stand up. HAHAHAHAAH wish someone could've seen my dumba$$. I get in a staggered stance rolling about 10mph, clutch it up, and i almost fall backwards off the bike. Well ya know when you go to fall off you grip tighter which equals twisting the throttle, so i shot off towards a damn curb and a ton of bushes, luckily i managed to get my foot back to the brake and get it down. Question is, how the hell do you manage to do these damn things without this happening. It feels like when the bike comes up it tries to throw me off. Any tips would be helpful.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Regular StuntLifer

RoadStainR6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: stand up wheelie's

don't clutch so hard? Lean foreward as it's comming up then lean back once you get it there. Good thing you had the brake covered. The best way to do them... practice. and lots of it. You'll get it.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:17 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

forserious is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest not doing wheelies on your brand new R1 because it sounds like you get spooked easily and tense up.

You'll be way better off spending a couple grand and getting a stunt ready bike with a cage and **** to learn on.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:32 PM

CHAO5 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea... take it easy or end up like me.. watch it @ www.sektorxii.com
Old 03-25-2005, 12:38 AM

Joes01R6 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am feeling you on this stand up ish. I got wheeling down decent but not at a BP yet I am person that is on and off the throttle on his wheelies. I get nervous on doing stand ups cause I dont have the best throttle control yet...
Old 03-25-2005, 01:26 AM

TeboNator is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea, same way w/ me.. I was on a straddled stance, and once my bike started going up, my left knee would buckle. This is in 2nd gear, and I noticed it was a little easier in 3rd gear. but still.. I'm not trying to break my new F4i just yet. Also, I tend to pull my right arm harder than my left (causing the bike to wobble when I go down, and this is getting the bike up like 2 inches.) any idea why? would help.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:45 AM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point

Get better acquainted with the rear brake. Take little steps and increase your height till your near BP. If you are constantly on the brake before and during the wheelie, you'll be ready if it starts to loop. Being confident that the brake will always save you, is another matter. This comes from practice. good luck.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:56 AM

PETe P is a decent person

see now clutchin on stand ups just feels super wierd to me like the bike is just gonna shoot out from under me. but i wouldn't know about ridin right now it's still really cold and salty as a *****
Old 03-25-2005, 08:58 AM

John LegionST is a decent person

The best pieces of advice i can give you are:

Cover the rear brake
and
GET A STUNTBIKE before you ruin your nice minty one!!!

doesn't matter what you plan on doing or the "im not gonna stunt it hard, i just want to do some wheelies" line, if you LEARN on your nice bike, it eventually becomes youe EXPENSIVE stunt bike, take it from someone who knows from experience!!!

I had a minty 02 1000 once, i still owe $3000, some of it im still stunting, the rest of it is under my house.

get a stuntbike!