tire install

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 04:12 PM

YZFstunter4life is an unknown quantity at this point
tire install

changeing my own tire for the first time....i read a thread about this once and i got a pretty good idea of how to do this but i figured i would get you guys to post up some advice

don't need to break tha bead i popped the tire last night doin a long hot smoky burnout

just need tips on gettin whats left of the old tire off and gettin the new one on and all that
Old 03-22-2005, 05:15 PM

f4istunna is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: tire install

gettin the old one off shouldnt be hard since its split in the middle from burning off. Its easy to install them with some dish soap or anything slick to help slide the tire over the rim. Its not too hard if you dont mid a few scratches every now and then if you want to keep your rim mint get some soft tip pry bars and maybe use something on the outside lip of the rim to protect it.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:25 AM

is there anything i need to use to get it to bead up or will it just bead when i air it up
Old 03-23-2005, 01:31 PM

MR. RYAN SMITH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by f4istunna
gettin the old one off shouldnt be hard since its split in the middle from burning off. Its easy to install them with some dish soap or anything slick to help slide the tire over the rim. Its not too hard if you dont mid a few scratches every now and then if you want to keep your rim mint get some soft tip pry bars and maybe use something on the outside lip of the rim to protect it.
I THINK IT IS MORE DIFFICULT WHEN THE TIRE IS SPLIT AND I USE A SNAP-ON TIRE CHANGING MACHINE.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:56 PM

John LegionST is a decent person

changing tires is pull-your hair out hard when you don't know what you are doing (all the little tricks to make it easy) and REALLY quick and easy if you do know. I can do them in a couple minutes now, that's rimm off, tire changed and rim back on. At Carlisle this year Ed and I blew about 8-12 tires, blew them at the end of each show and then changed then between each show.

Its really hard to describe ALL the tricks but i'll try. using a loading ramp to break the bead works pimp! you just lay it on the sidewall and jump on it, should pop the bead right off. As far as putting it back on, the first bead should be easy, just work it on, then start the second bead and work that aruond. YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT THE BEADS ARE IN THE CENTER OF THE RIM to give you more room to work with when trying to get that last little bit of bead over the edge. Take little bites and walk the bead around/ove the rim. it's really confusing to type/read this, but just practice and they get easy!
Old 03-23-2005, 05:41 PM

yeah **** was hard as f*ck gettin tha tire off
used a hack saw and some wire snips took forever

now i just gotta get tha damn tire on
Old 03-23-2005, 06:12 PM

Joey D is a decent person

Wouldn't it be like 10 times easier to just pay your local bike shop 15 or 20 bucks to put the new one on? I could see if you were like Ryan and had a machine, but it's not worth it to me. I get pissed to easy and break ****.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:32 PM

MR. RYAN SMITH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rumpshaker
Wouldn't it be like 10 times easier to just pay your local bike shop 15 or 20 bucks to put the new one on? I could see if you were like Ryan and had a machine, but it's not worth it to me. I get pissed to easy and break ****.
I SECOND THAT, IF I DIDNT HAVE ACCESS TO A TIRE MACHINE I WOULD PAY SOMEONE WHO DOES. PATIENCE RUNS THIN OVER HERE.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:12 AM

none of the bike shops around here will put on used tires...some kinda saftey issue or some bull **** ... ... and if they did they would charge 35 bucks just to put tha damn thing on the rim...
Old 03-24-2005, 11:21 AM

DEFIANTELY NOT worth it to have a shop put them on. If you take the time to learn to do it the right way, it takes a few minutes and is VERY easy!!!
Old 03-24-2005, 04:43 PM

damn it i can't get the second bead on there
it's a mother f*cker
Old 03-25-2005, 12:03 AM
florida! finally

Nate-VMC is an unknown quantity at this point

lube up the beads of the tire really good!! soappy water
Old 03-25-2005, 07:30 AM
love you loving to hate

Six Eight Nate is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's the routine...head down to your local hardware store, pickup a set of "tire spoons"...they'll know what they are...you'll need a pry bar of some length and weight...now to break the bead (the bead is secured even if the tire is popped and split in half...it can actually be a little harder to get a split tire off sometimes)...in any case...to break the bead, you put one spoon in (the cupped /lipped side of the spoon) into the groove between the tire and the rim...get it wedged in there as far as you can (OH YEAH BEFORE EVERY STEP, LUBE THE TIRE UP WITH PLAIN DISH SOAP...dont even waste time dilluting it with water because it works best with just pure soap)...now you cram that spoon in there so that the curved (the lip of the spoon with the curved end will curve two ways, one way will "grab" the tire with the lip and the other way will wont...you want the first spoon to be the way it WONT...you're going to push down now...this whole step is just to creat a larger gap for you to wedge your second spoon in....this time you're wedging it in with the lip positioned so that is grabs the bead of the tire so if you were to push up on the bar, it would be levering at the rim and pulling on the tire (by the way, the second spoon should be just a few inches next to the first)....now you can let go of your first spoon, but hold on to your second spoon and hold it in place (your not going to be applying much pressure at this point...just enough to hold it there and keep it there while you reach over for your large pry bar) now wedge the pry bar UNDERNEATH the second spoon between the spoon and the tire...now put your weight with your foot or your knee, whatever it takes to get some pressure on that tire, and while you're putting weight on the tire, push that pry bar a little...not too much, you dont want to bend the rim...just a little, you're pushing out but at the same time, apply some pressure down too....POOF...bead should break...i know this sounds complicated...but it really only takes a split second to pull off and you wont even break a sweat....BTW...MAKE SURE IF THE TIRE IS STILL INTACT, TO EITHER PULL THE VALVE STEM WITH A VALVE STEM REMOVER (availabe from the same spot you got your spoons from) OR BLEED OFF AS MUCH OF THE AIR AS POSSIBLE...Next step...flip the rim over and break the bead off the other side...now your beads are broken...use those spoons and your body weight to work that tire off the rim (i wish i could explain the easiest way, but it can vary from tire to tire and rim to rim and it is something that no one can really explain...you'll figure it out with practice)

Now grab your replacement tire...lube it up with soap REAL good check your arrows to make sure you're mounting it the right way and also look for any paint marks or paint dabs that are obviously there for a reasons...if you locate a dab of paint (THIS ESPECIALLY FOR ALLREADY USED TIRES) means that someone has allready balanced this tire out or sometimes certain manufacturers will indicate the "heavy" spot on their tires from the forming process...what this means is that spot or that dab should be matched up to your valve stem and this will put you in approximate balance...it does NOT mean the tire will be balanced 100 percent...but it will be good enough for the girls I go with...lol...in any case...now you got everything lined up...first side should "pop" on...now work (with your weight) as much of the second side of the tire on (i sit down on the tire with my knees to squash the tire as flat as possible on one side which makes prying the tire on easier)...once you get one side as flat as possible with your knees and as much as the tire on as possible with your hands, reach over and grab your tire spoons....wedge the spoon between the tire and the rim with the "lip" of the spoon grabbing the rim...start from one side and pry...now KEEP THAT SPOON THERE and use your next spoon a few inches from it working from one side to the other ALWAYS with your weight on the tire to keep the tire from just popping back out...now you pry the second bar and get the tire on there...take the first spoon out and move on down the line, one after the other...never moving more than a few inches (6 or so) at a time...always keeping one spoon behind the other to kinda keep your place....pop...tire should go straight on...replace your vavle stem if you took it out and air that sucka up...when you're filling up your tire...remember to listen for TWO good pops and keep your clothes and fingers away from the bead while your airing up...if you dont hear two loud pops, your tire hasnt seated properly...now check your pressure...mount and ride...for stunting, balancing isn't a must, although i ALWAYS balance my front tires...rears i never worry about...

Once you get the feel down, removing and swapping tires should take under five minutes each...I have been using this technique for awhile now and I can probably get the whole thing done in around 2-3 minutes (minus the removal of the rim from the bike and replacement of it...you get the idea)

If you want instructions on how to balance...ask

Last edited by Six Eight Nate; 03-25-2005 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:44 AM

PETe P is a decent person

hey man make sure you use a good set of spoons, and a lip saver, puttin them on with out a machine is tuff,take little bits at a time.you might need a extra set of hands too. if you take to much tire and try to force it over you can crack the rim watched my buddy do it,(cast aluminum isn't that strong) then i laughed cause he knew i had a tire machine at the shop. and the last foot is the hardest part. if you get the tire in the center like on of other guys said it give you a bit of room to work with. after everything is said and done you will wanna kill everyone you know and curse yourself for not nowing anyone at a shop to do it for you.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:19 AM

well thanks for all the info....after i got tha first bead on i couldn't get tha second one on i tried everything i could...so around 5 yesterday i was i went to one of the bike shops in town and with the tire half on and asked him to put it on....after he did i said how much do i owe you....and tha same motha f*cker that said he was gonna charge $30 for it said "nothin man don't worry about it"
Old 03-25-2005, 09:33 AM

prolly cause he could see that you were ALMOST done and that you probably spent quite a bit of pissed off time trying to get in on before you came to him, so he felt bad ans hooked you up. you were almost done anyway, prolly took him 30 seconds to finish. Keep practice, you'll get it
Old 03-25-2005, 09:36 AM

yeah he put it on tha machine turned it on 30 seconds **** was on....pissed me off....
then pop pop bead set tire aird up a total of like 2 mins

oh well tires on now all time to go wreck that sh*t some more