F3 stunt cage? who has a 905 on an f3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 01:03 AM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point
F3 stunt cage? who has a 905 on an f3?

I was doing doughnuts today and put my bike down for the first time with the new cage. Just the simple lay over at like 3mph bent the bolt back on the FI copy I made. I don't think the fi design is strong enough as i've heard lots of people complain about the bolt bending. I don't want to make a full out 905 style so i think i'm just gonna add another mount. I want to use the other motor mount across from the one i'm using but the clutch cable is in the way. 905 uses this same mount.

How did u ppl with the 905 get it to fit around the clutch cable?

This is my cage now, my cage

I want to add the top middle mount that 905 has in this pic.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:20 AM

Hajinomoto1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: F3 stunt cage? who has a 905 on an f3?

I think "ALL" 905 cages use the "3 point" mounting system: #1 upper rear engine hanger, #2 front upper engine brackets, #3 cross bar that runs between the headers. In that pic it(mount point between #1 and #2) doesnt look like a bolt goes in there.

*disclaimer*
I run an MXD it mounts close to the way the 905 does. Except it runs the cross bar infront of the headers.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hajinomoto1
I think "ALL" 905 cages use the "3 point" mounting system: #1 upper rear engine hanger, #2 front upper engine brackets, #3 cross bar that runs between the headers. In that pic it(mount point between #1 and #2) doesnt look like a bolt goes in there.

*disclaimer*
I run an MXD it mounts close to the way the 905 does. Except it runs the cross bar infront of the headers.
I'm pretty sure that there is a bolt there. I know there is a bolt in that spot. And it would be stupid for them to put a peg there where a bolt could be run, if there wasn't a bolt there.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:17 PM

NovaMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonnyJ
I'm pretty sure that there is a bolt there. I know there is a bolt in that spot. And it would be stupid for them to put a peg there where a bolt could be run, if there wasn't a bolt there.

yeah it has a bolt there, i helped squid put his 905 on his F2 yesterday befor he wrecked haha (thankfully had the cage on). I dont remember the clutch cable being in the way though....
Old 03-21-2005, 01:40 PM

Any chance you could just glance at it for me? You should be able to see in their through the vent on the side plastics. I think i could probably squeeze the cable around it. If thats what 905 does, than thats what i'm gonna do. Let me know if you get the chance.

Jon
Old 03-21-2005, 02:02 PM

NovaMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah i may stop up there later today to bring him his helmet back while im out runnin around and ill peak at it. he doesnt have any plastics on his bike so it'll take nothin to see it.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:17 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

-MXD- is an unknown quantity at this point

Any chance you could just glance at it for me? You should be able to see in their through the vent on the side plastics. I think i could probably squeeze the cable around it. If thats what 905 does, than thats what i'm gonna do. Let me know if you get the chance.

Jon

if there is a cable in the way, just move it above or below the mounting point. its only an inch either way, so it wont affect anything that much.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:24 PM

It doesn't have much slack though. I'm not 100% sure i can make it fit around one of the pegs cause they are pretty big. Plus the threaded part where the cable ends is like right there. And thats solid so it doesn't let the cable bend to much since its just outta the metal part. I considered drilling a hole threw the peg and running the cable threw it. It would be fine as long as the peg never got tweaked...which could easily happen.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:28 PM

It doesn't have much slack though. I'm not 100% sure i can make it fit around one of the pegs cause they are pretty big. Plus the threaded part where the cable ends is like right there. And thats solid so it doesn't let the cable bend to much since its just outta the metal part. I considered drilling a hole threw the peg and running the cable threw it. It would be fine as long as the peg never got tweaked...which could easily happen.
i wouldnt do that, i think the first time you wreck hard and the cage tweaks you will create more problems. why not just use 2 mounts and something to connect the 2 sides together? we didnt use all three mounts on that bike, its not necessary
Old 03-21-2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by -MXD-
i wouldnt do that, i think the first time you wreck hard and the cage tweaks you will create more problems. why not just use 2 mounts and something to connect the 2 sides together? we didnt use all three mounts on that bike, its not necessary
Yeah i didn't really plan on doing that either, but it was a thought. By two mounts do you mean two on each side or one on each side? Did you look at the pic of my cage the way it is now? Its basically an fi copy. One peg on each side and a loop that goes underneath from one peg to the other. Instead of using flat strips to hold the loop up i used the old centerstand mount with a big as bolt, that part is strong. But i need more support for the peg.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:38 PM

Yeah i didn't really plan on doing that either, but it was a thought. By two mounts do you mean two on each side or one on each side? Did you look at the pic of my cage the way it is now? Its basically an fi copy. One peg on each side and a loop that goes underneath from one peg to the other. Instead of using flat strips to hold the loop up i used the old centerstand mount with a big as bolt, that part is strong. But i need more support for the peg.

i saw your cage awhile ago on here when you first made it, but i cant get into that pic on the top of this thread at work for some reason.

if you look at the 905 cage, im talking about eliminating the middle top mount and just running a bar from the upper rear mount to the very front mount. then you could run a bar from there to the FI copy or the bar mounted to the kickstand.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by -MXD-
i saw your cage awhile ago on here when you first made it, but i cant get into that pic on the top of this thread at work for some reason.

if you look at the 905 cage, im talking about eliminating the middle top mount and just running a bar from the upper rear mount to the very front mount. then you could run a bar from there to the FI copy or the bar mounted to the kickstand.
Ok i see what you mean now. The problem with that is that its right in the way of my shin. I'm decently tall and i checked to see where that mount was before i came up with a design. It would kill my shins, main reason i didn't ever consider a 905 cage. So i don't want to use that rear mount. I was thinking about perhaps welding my own peg instead of using the bmx peg. Then i could make it alot smaller diameter so that it wouldn't be pushing the clutch cable as much. I've got some experimenting to do this week but its been to cold to do much. Supposed to be 60 tomorrow so i'll try and work on it then and let ya know what i find.

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:10 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

LivingCanvas is an unknown quantity at this point

buy a MXD cage :YEAH
Old 03-22-2005, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
buy a MXD cage :YEAH
Give me money and i will!!! till then i gotta stick to my $15 homemade cages
Old 03-23-2005, 01:04 AM

e-roc is an unknown quantity at this point

Its small enough where the clutch cable can go around the cage as seen in pics. I love the 905 cage. Can't destroy it. And you get used to the shin thing. I don't even hit it anymore, except if I come down hard from endo's. But then its not that bad anyway. Oh and I'm 6ft tall. I can take more pics if you'd like. Lemme know foo!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cage pic.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	129637   Click image for larger version

Name:	cage pic2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	129638  
Old 03-23-2005, 01:45 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

LivingCanvas is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i love my 905.......but he mentioned something about money, so i pointed towards MXD....he might cut you some slack, you never know
Old 03-23-2005, 02:25 AM

Squidmark is an unknown quantity at this point

clutch cable is just barely in the way, you can move it a fair amount and not get into any trouble. (u guys already established that).

if i were you i'd weld up my own peg (3/4" pipe) for the other mounts, then probly leave the bmx peg up front. my 905 cage suprised me on sunday, it took a pretty nasty pancake from 12 and just made a hole in the asphault. Im ~6'1 and got used to my cage pretty fast. With it on, you kinda gotta sit bowlegged at lights, but its not really noticable. Then i ziptied some 3/8" foam around those points the 2nd day i had it, then electrical taped around it and havent hurt my shins since.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Squidmark
clutch cable is just barely in the way, you can move it a fair amount and not get into any trouble. (u guys already established that).

if i were you i'd weld up my own peg (3/4" pipe) for the other mounts, then probly leave the bmx peg up front. my 905 cage suprised me on sunday, it took a pretty nasty pancake from 12 and just made a hole in the asphault. Im ~6'1 and got used to my cage pretty fast. With it on, you kinda gotta sit bowlegged at lights, but its not really noticable. Then i ziptied some 3/8" foam around those points the 2nd day i had it, then electrical taped around it and havent hurt my shins since.
I'll give welding my own smaller pegs a shot... might even try to find thinner bmx pegs at a bike shop instead of walmart too. Thanks for lookin for me.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:58 AM

I'll give welding my own smaller pegs a shot... might even try to find thinner bmx pegs at a bike shop instead of walmart too. Thanks for lookin for me.

dont waste your time with bmx pegs, just take some tube and weld washers on it. if you have access to a tig, get stainless washers and you wont even need any rod.

on the f3 cage, it didnt hit your shins when we made ours. the only cage we have had any problems with shins is the 954 and it wasnt really a big deal. do you have a bender or are you just heating up the tube? you need a steep bend and thats about it. then you cut the angle steep on the rear mount and its not really a problem anymore. if you look at the 905 cage, the rear mount almost sticks out further than the cage itself. im 6'1" so i hit my shins on cages that other people normally dont too.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:56 PM

Yeah, i'll probably weld my own. But i like the bmx pegs cause they are solid... i mean they are milled from one piece of steel rod so their tough. I'm gonna just try and use the mount by the clutch cable. If it still isn't strong enough (but i think it will be) i'll use the rear mount like 905 too.

Quick Reply: F3 stunt cage? who has a 905 on an f3?