gsxr1000 wheelie and gearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 01:36 PM
jny

jny is an unknown quantity at this point
gsxr1000 wheelie and gearing

i ride a stock 03 1k. i hit 1.75 miles in 3rd. i was taping that day and watched the tape after and i started around 65 and set down like 100. i noticed i wasnt at the balance point probably cuz of wind and speed. in 2nd im up alot higher but i set down 3/4 mile reved out. the long 3rd gear wheelie my bike had more to give but i had serious arm pump and could hold it longer. what i wanna accomplish is a wheelie between 50-65 and hold it there as long as i want. should i be trying that in 2nd? should i shift? or 3rd? would gearing change help? in a nutshell i wanna maintain one speed. is it all me? need better throttle control? i watched this video where this guy was on a 1k on the back pegs and he went like 15 miles. it looked like he just stood there and held the throttle. when im in 3rd on the front pegs i feel like im working to hard and my arms tire out. any suggestions or tips?
Old 03-15-2005, 06:46 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all
Re: gsxr1000 wheelie and gearing

https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/443-stunting-help-advice/72156-complete-guide-learning-basic.html
Old 03-15-2005, 08:55 PM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd probably start learning to slow them down with the brake, so if you see you're speeding up taptap it and bring it down a little.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:44 PM
jny

gearing down help slow down.. ive been reading alot of gearing threads and alot of guys says your engine will slow u down if u let off throttle. or that totaly different? i think im close to getting it
Old 03-15-2005, 10:50 PM

kidstunta is an unknown quantity at this point

ya, u can slow down on engine braking alone. Its easier I assume when its geared, it would have to be. I can slow down sometimes on my CBR900 with stock gearing without using the back break at all.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:03 PM
jny

how many teeth... again in the gearing threads ive seen one extreme to another and very wide ranges... i want a good streetable gearing but i wanna wheelie bike too.. i dont wanna loose all my top end but ill give up some. i was thinking +3 in the back. will that make a noticeable difference? and top end say less than 20mph loss? sorry about all the questions i know there are some very talented riders on here. in some of the other posts they are way above my level but ive got the basics and trying to fine tune and im stuck.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:36 PM

Sinista is an unknown quantity at this point

i think you should just go to your local dress store and buy a little cute skirt put it on ...thenl ift your cute new skirt up. reach down grab your ***** and do a ****ing wheelie....
Old 03-19-2005, 09:45 PM

LayinLo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sinista
i think you should just go to your local dress store and buy a little cute skirt put it on ...thenl ift your cute new skirt up. reach down grab your ***** and do a ****ing wheelie....

Ouch.........
Old 03-19-2005, 10:12 PM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

Aparently people are too lazy to clicky the linky....

Originally Posted by f4rider
Balancing the wheelie from front to back
Balancing front to back is controlled by using the throttle and rear brake. It is a good idea to learn this on a quad, fiddy, or dirtbike first. If the wheelie is in front of the balance point, you must increase your speed to remain at that position. To get the wheelie back to the balance point, you must compensate with more throttle. This is the same, only in reverse, when the wheelie is behind the balance point. When behind the balance point, you must use the engine breaking/ rear brake to bring it forward to the balance point. The balance point is the position of the bike in which it neither has to speed up or slow down to remain at the same position. The height of the balance point is affected mainly by the speed of the wheelie. The faster the wheelie is, the lower the balance point. The balance point is also slightly affected by the weight distribution of the bike and the position of the rider. The object of riding a balanced wheelie is to keep the bike as close as possible to the balance point. This is done by rolling on and off the throttle, and pushing the brake if needed. With practice comes the ability to ride a smooth wheelie with out playing with the throttle/brake much.

Using the rear brake: Slowing wheelies down / 12s
Wheelies are slowed down by riding the wheelie behind the balance point. This is one of the hardest parts of learning to wheelie, not because of skill, but because of the ***** required. To learn how to use the rear brake, you basically need to grow some *****, bring the wheelie up behind the balance point, and tap the brake. Soon this process will become second nature. To slow a wheelie down, you must give the bike enough throttle to get the wheelie behind the balance point. Now if you get scared and push the rear break hard at this point, it will quickly bring the wheelie forward without slowing it down much. To slow it down, you must keep it behind the balance point by gently riding the brake. To 12, you just do the same thing, only you get off the rear break enough to allow the bike to lean back on the tail. Unless you plan on parking a 12, make sure you get back on the brake before the wheelie slows down enough to stall the engine.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:26 AM
jny

my bad... wasted bandwith
Old 03-20-2005, 02:41 AM

truekaotik is an unknown quantity at this point

pair mod, fire mod,-1+5 and ull love life all around.