Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 12:58 PM

need4$peed is an unknown quantity at this point
Electrical problems

Bike will not rev over 7.5 k rpm. runs very well, starts right up, idles good, no indication of a problem untill 7.5k rpm. It actls like thats where the redline is, the tac needle will bounce off that 7.5 line and my bike will backfire! I haven't opened the carbs, but I've taken off the airbox and looked into them and they look clean as hell. the guy at the dealer rode it and said I have an electrical problem and wished me good luck

I checked the primary and secondary resistance on my coils and the primary resistance is .5 ohm higher than it's supposed to be on both coils. I was checking the resistance on my throttle pos. sensor, and there are three prongs. between A and C the reading is good, but between B and A it is not. Do i need a new throttle pos sensor? Resistance on the pickup coil was decent. I also tried to check the timing, but the gun wouldn't read from the plug wire... we tested a plug on each wire and they all spark. so.......... so I guess my only options are to replace the throttle sensor or the CDI?

I've opened up the harness to look for shorts on the whole left side of the bike, and found none yet. But I'm concerned because my fan will run even with the temp sensor unplugged, even when the bike is cold. Before my wreck (lowside 40mph) It wouldn't run at all untill like 200 dEg. F. so that means there is something shorted somewhere? or my brain box is just screwed and sayin, HEY FAN it's hot and we need some flow!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:02 PM

wangsta6 is a decent person
Re: Electrical problems

unhook your battery and try to reset the ecu... im sure there's someone who knows more how to do that then me
Old 03-08-2005, 11:09 AM

I've been reading on r1 forums, and it seems like a lot of people have had problems with their regulator/rectifier. but my battery stays charged..... is it possible to have just the regulator part go bad and not the rectifier part?

I'm depressed this problem is killing me.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:16 AM

tim 67 is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont have any advice but good luck thats a bummer
Old 03-08-2005, 01:58 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

808stunna is an unknown quantity at this point

have you checked the conection on the wires coming from you ignition.those year r1s have a problem with the power wiregoing to the ignition.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:34 PM

to the ignition control unit? yes. I've looked at every wire on the left side of the bike, this weekend I'll check the right side. The wire to my reg/rec was burnt when i first bought it. It ran fine then. I spliced in a new wire to the reg/rec and the battery is staying charged so I know that the it's converting the AC current to DC and keeping my battery charged. But it might not be keeping the voltage at the right level, which in turn might be causing my problems at higher rpms. These bikes are plagued with reg/rectifier problems, but I'm not sure if thats it since it's keeping the battery charged.