Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 04:01 PM

MATT L is a decent person
Need Advice

Well, went out to the garage to change my tire, and my freakin axle is stuck...Was all nice about it at first, and used a rubber mallet, after 20min got really pissed and broke out the sledge, STILL NOTHIN....I'm so pissed I cant even think right now....Any ideas at all??? I'm stuck
Old 03-05-2005, 04:24 PM

KILLER-B is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need Advice

Sounds like your bearings are fu(ked!....Start looking for a new axle on e-bay......then beat the old one out with a bigger sledge. :YEAH
Old 03-05-2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by KILLER-B
Sounds like your bearings are fu(ked!....Start looking for a new axle on e-bay......then beat the old one out with a bigger sledge. :YEAH

Yeah, thats what I'm thinkin....I just tried again with the sledge, and didnt even budge it, and it's a pretty heavy sledge, I'm fookin pissed....whats next??
Old 03-05-2005, 04:35 PM

KILLER-B is an unknown quantity at this point

Put the nut back on it and try to take it down the street(slowly) just to see if it'll move and might loosen it up.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:14 PM

Tried it, still nothin...I sledged about half an inch, but thats about it
Old 03-05-2005, 05:20 PM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

maybe try heating up the housing with a torch? i dunno if that a good idea or not...only thing i can think of.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by doodle13245
maybe try heating up the housing with a torch? i dunno if that a good idea or not...only thing i can think of.
I was thinkin of something like that, but I was wanting to wait and see if anyone else had done it before I really screw it up....plus I dont have a torch here,lol
Old 03-05-2005, 09:34 PM

zrex is an unknown quantity at this point

PB BLASTER overnight in every place you can put it that will soak in around the bolt. then the fun starts with an impact on one end while you sledge the nut end of it. since you guys are always laying your bikes down anyways just lay it over as far as you can and spray away at the thread end to help it go do the axle shaft. youll have to do this a couple times a day and hit it with the impact every so often. just remember not to mushroom the end of the axle or youll have more problems since the axle wont fit thru the bearings.
good luck
Old 03-05-2005, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by zrex
PB BLASTER overnight in every place you can put it that will soak in around the bolt. then the fun starts with an impact on one end while you sledge the nut end of it. since you guys are always laying your bikes down anyways just lay it over as far as you can and spray away at the thread end to help it go do the axle shaft. youll have to do this a couple times a day and hit it with the impact every so often. just remember not to mushroom the end of the axle or youll have more problems since the axle wont fit thru the bearings.
good luck

thanks for the info, I'm gonna try it, but the problem I have is I cant really lay it over on it's side cause it's on my nice 954 with no cage, guess I'll have to improvise,lol
Old 03-05-2005, 10:43 PM
I Love To Post!

Schwartz will become famous soon enough

3 things to try.

1st PB blaster is the Shizzzy for sure. Try it with heat. Heat up the thing spray it with that or WD40. The WD will cool it causing everything to contract and drawing in the lube whatever you use.

2nd After you get your axle out it will be all oxidized just hit it with a wire wheel MAN! Like new. Put a little grease on to prevent further problems.

3rd If that don't work do what I do. Have a Big As$ temper Tantrum. Throw whatever tool in your hand as hard as you can toward something that will make a loud noise but not cost a whole lot to replace.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Schwartz
3 things to try.

1st PB blaster is the Shizzzy for sure. Try it with heat. Heat up the thing spray it with that or WD40. The WD will cool it causing everything to contract and drawing in the lube whatever you use.

2nd After you get your axle out it will be all oxidized just hit it with a wire wheel MAN! Like new. Put a little grease on to prevent further problems.

3rd If that don't work do what I do. Have a Big As$ temper Tantrum. Throw whatever tool in your hand as hard as you can toward something that will make a loud noise but not cost a whole lot to replace.
Damn, I went in the wrong order then

Gonna try the PB tomorrow...I dont think I'll be using that axle once I get it out, cause after I was done with your 3rd suggestion, I broke out the ol' Sledge and went to poundin...I'll let you know how the PB works out.

Oh yeah, your bikes lookin pimp bro, saw a couple of pics...Somebody's been busy since Stuntwars
Old 03-06-2005, 07:50 AM
I Love To Post!

Schwartz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MATT L
Damn, I went in the wrong order then

Gonna try the PB tomorrow...I dont think I'll be using that axle once I get it out, cause after I was done with your 3rd suggestion, I broke out the ol' Sledge and went to poundin...I'll let you know how the PB works out.

Oh yeah, your bikes lookin pimp bro, saw a couple of pics...Somebody's been busy since Stuntwars
The plactics were almost done before SW but not in time. Thanks wish I had a axe for you. You get your forks figred out??