My wheelies are gabage!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 01:28 PM

Billyt is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation My wheelies are gabage!!! HELP!!!

O.K.. I have 94 900rr.. Been riding since last feb. Just really starting to stunt.. I have went out to practice maybe 2 times and have went from being scared to clutch a sit down 2 inches off the ground to being able to clutch a staggered standup. I can clutch them up but can not ride them out to any distance ..Probly not high enough.. By april may I would love to be able to ride a stand up at a steady speed.. Also everything I have been doing is in first.. I plan on learning in first then switching to secong for highway ****, will the switch be easy? Also is riding a wheelie at 30 35 mph considered slow or is it just a normal wheelie. I think my main prob is after I clutch it up I get off alittle but because of engine braking it falls. how do I get over the fear and stay on it.. Someone please give me a plain so when I go out I can have a goal.. while practicing thanx............. sorry for the long post just excited
Old 02-26-2005, 01:41 PM

AR15forU is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: My wheelies are gabage!!! HELP!!!

forget the clutch, with a 900 you can easily bounce up a wheelie in 2nd gear!, whlie you are riding, switch to second and get up to about 5000 rpms and bounce with your feet and hands on the pegs and handlebars, when you feel the shocks start to come back up, bounce up with the bike while you crank on the throttle and you will stand the ***** straight up!, it might take a couple of tries! it took me like 15 times before i ever did it so be patient, obviously this will be a standup wheelie
Old 02-26-2005, 01:42 PM

FkingSUV is an unknown quantity at this point

might give a try raising the idle speed.

cover the brake
Old 02-26-2005, 01:46 PM

Quicksta da RR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Billyt
O.K.. I have 94 900rr.. Been riding since last feb. Just really starting to stunt.. I have went out to practice maybe 2 times and have went from being scared to clutch a sit down 2 inches off the ground to being able to clutch a staggered standup.

I have a 98' rr and I am having trouble clutching also. 2nd gear bouncies are fun, thats about all I can do, but you will no longer be in your 25-35 mph range, your now looking at something like 50-70 on stock gearing. What are you doing to do 1st gear clutch standups???
Old 02-26-2005, 03:22 PM

NovaMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Stay in 1st gear, thats what i learned to clutch wheelies at. Raising your idel isnt goin to help any if you cant clutch it to Balance point.

Getting over the fear just takes practice and gettin comfortable you gotta do all that on your own.

My suggestion is that since your in 1st theres no need to be staggered yet. Just do a normal standup on the pegs and every time you clutch it up hit the rear brake right away (even if your not near BP) for the first 20 wheelies or so. This will stick in your head to use the rear brake to slow yourself down instead of chopping the throttle (closing it then gettin back into it). I really dont like how people always insist ppl do power wheelies but hey if it works im not even goin to start a debate about that in here like usually happens.

35 MPH isnt a slow wheelie 10-15 MPH is a slow wheelie. To do those you have your idel set up at about 3-4k and you clutch it pretty hard then catch yourself in balance point with the rear brake (DONT DO THIS YET) since your inexperienced your just goin to seriously mess something up. I have my idel set at 2k and its done me fine with 1st gear standups which i have up to about a mile long now.

The switch to 2nd gear after you learn first is a cake walk. 2nd comes up exeremly smooth compared to first but with 2nd you have way less engine brake to save your *** incase you get to far behind BP.

I also believe that learning wheelies in 1st helps you learn great throttle control since the bike is so "twitchy" in first gear as apposed to 2nd.

And this is stuntlife.com not squidlife.com people need to stop saying "abandon the clutch and do power wheelies"

Old 02-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator

Manubi is an unknown quantity at this point

how many blocks u doin ??
Old 02-26-2005, 03:34 PM

onsighter514d is an unknown quantity at this point

stick with first gear. It hurts less if you loop. Keep clutching them staggered. Try holding the throttle steady and controlling the height with the rear brake.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:34 PM

DevilF4i is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LSRManubi
how many blocks u doin ??
1st gr = 20 blocks
Old 02-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator

Manubi is an unknown quantity at this point

your 9 o clock wheelies make my stomach hurt !
Old 02-26-2005, 04:15 PM

NovaMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LSRManubi
your 9 o clock wheelies make my stomach hurt !

9 o'clock? wouldnt that be just riding? lol
Old 02-26-2005, 05:02 PM

Z-UNIT is an unknown quantity at this point

try and learn the rear brake as a reflex dont relie on it relie on the throttle mostly. i saw start with powering up because it comes up slower and smoother. also the best way to get confidence is go higher ever couple wheelies till ur in the spot. so if ur first 5 are only 6 inches off the ground.. the next 5 try and get it 10 inches off the ground. bp will freak u out less by easying back into it instead of slutching right up into it. also doing it this way will make u feel u accomplished sumthing....lol. then start clutching in forst when u get to tha sweet spot
Old 02-26-2005, 05:12 PM

korno1 is an unknown quantity at this point

rock a quad first get use to wheeling that thing bring it to the big bike
Old 02-26-2005, 05:20 PM

truekaotik is an unknown quantity at this point

i must be on "squidlife.com" cause i say throttle that biaatch up. my boy has a 900rr and ive never used his clutch yet for any wheelie. it has a lot of low end torque and will come straight the f*** up.he recently went -1 +9 and that sucka jumps up on the spot.this prob dont look like it but its a 900rr.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by truekaotik
i must be on "squidlife.com" cause i say throttle that biaatch up. my boy has a 900rr and ive never used his clutch yet for any wheelie. it has a lot of low end torque and will come straight the f*** up.he recently went -1 +9 and that sucka jumps up on the spot.this prob dont look like it but its a 900rr.
IS HE BRINGING IT STRAIGHT TO THE BP OR IS HE BACKIN IT IN WIT THE REAR BRAKE????
Old 02-26-2005, 05:59 PM

straight to BP, he rarely use brake in a everyday wheelie(shiat i dont use mine unless i want it back past the O' shiat point). that is what engine break is for .hhahahahah
Old 02-26-2005, 06:05 PM

How Do You Slip The Cluch Out?? I Can Only Do It When I Take Off From A Light!!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Regular StuntLifer

RoadStainR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stick to first for learning... No point in chasing a wheelie into those high speeds. Get rollin up to about 20-25 mph. Or just under your power band (you should be able to feel it) Then reach up with two fingers and roll on the throttle while "slipping" the clutch in. Basically you just pull it in and let it out... just like you were changing a gear, but you don't. Up comes the front wheel. It will startle you at first... but keep at it. you'll get used to the sensation of the front jumping up... then throttle control comes into play. Each time you clutch it.. try and stay on it instead of dumping the throttle back down (even though thats an instinct) Eventually you'll get used to it. Practice, and cover the brake. Start low with the clutchin. Don't go crazy with it. Eventually you will figure out exactly how much RPMs you need to rev it to (but listen don't look). It will become instinctual... Keep practicing and be safe. Post up some pics if you get a chance.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:00 PM

its all about the timing of the clutch and throttle.what helped us was to bump the throttle twice then on the third bump let the clutch go.this helped us by the end of the day we werent even bumpin it any more.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:17 PM

snigg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FkingSUV
might give a try raising the idle speed.
wtf is raising the idle gonna do for a 35mph wheelie?
Old 02-26-2005, 10:12 PM

Billyt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx for all the input I guess now I just need to go out and practice...
If I get a fiddy will it help me at all other than with break control.. I mean will it help me get used to the sensation of the front wheel being high off the ground.. Is it worth getting to help stunt or should I just continue to practice on the big bike..

Quick Reply: My wheelies are gabage!!! HELP!!!