F4i over heating problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 05:27 PM

redlinejesse is an unknown quantity at this point
F4i over heating problem

Ok my bike is doing some stupid stuff. I know f4i are bad for overheating anyway but its weird. It only spits out fluid when I am up in a 12. When I put it down it stops. It is coming out the overflow. I took the thermostat out so it runs constant, but its still doing the same thing. The cap is good, we tryed 3 different ones. There is no water in my oil so I don't think its a head gasket. Anyone have any ideas? I am about to take the radiator off and check it out, but anyone ever have this problem before?
Old 02-17-2005, 07:46 PM

Paw Paw is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: F4i over heating problem

It spits coolant out very well (especially when your on the track in front of me. lol). I'm just picking with ya, Jesse. It was good meeting ya last weekend........and no I don't know what the problem is.

sorry, Paw Paw
Old 02-17-2005, 08:17 PM

Z-UNIT is an unknown quantity at this point

my guess is a hole in the radiator. if ur kneeling in front of the bike and look in the top left cornert and all the fins are compressed i kno wat ur prob is. ur brake line that runs to the right side caliper(ie front brake lever side) and bolts into the fender isnt bolted in and when u alnd hard the forks compress and the lil metal thing on the brake line hits the fins. that how i went through 2 radiators.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:47 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Mikie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by redlinejesse
Ok my bike is doing some stupid stuff. I know f4i are bad for overheating anyway but its weird. It only spits out fluid when I am up in a 12. When I put it down it stops. It is coming out the overflow. I took the thermostat out so it runs constant, but its still doing the same thing. The cap is good, we tryed 3 different ones. There is no water in my oil so I don't think its a head gasket. Anyone have any ideas? I am about to take the radiator off and check it out, but anyone ever have this problem before?
I broke off the overflow hose next to the cap on mine, its fine and doesnt boil over until its on one wheel. Then it spews out and gets all over the place. Check your radiator for cracks near the cap or wherever you are seeing it smoking.

I am on radiator #2 and I think its pretty much gone.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by KeithB
It spits coolant out very well (especially when your on the track in front of me. lol). I'm just picking with ya, Jesse. It was good meeting ya last weekend........and no I don't know what the problem is.

sorry, Paw Paw
HAHAHHAHA that was my way of distracting you :YEAH It was nice meeting you to. Saw a lot of people I haven't seen in a while, and a hole lot more that I have never seen before.

I think I found the problem though. Head gasket. It sucks so I am going to go get started on my new project....yeah
Old 02-18-2005, 06:16 PM

zx9rash is an unknown quantity at this point

it could be a bad radiator cap it wont hold pressure so it lets it overheat and will spill out over flow wehn stood up cause it just flows up there, id try that before you get into the headgasket
Old 02-18-2005, 06:18 PM

and if the coolant isnt in the oil or compression bubbles coming out the radiator i wouldnt think the head gasket is to blame
Old 02-18-2005, 06:20 PM

oops didnt read the whole thing i dunno **** ****
Old 02-18-2005, 08:22 PM

jdridin is an unknown quantity at this point

Yo when you fix your problem I would suggest using ENGINE ICE antifreeze cause it keeps the temp of you bike down like 15 to 20 degrees.

Peace Justin
Old 02-20-2005, 09:16 PM

Yeah I have started useing engine ice even though I have heard some bad things about that stuff. I guess I didn't start soon enough though. Thanks everyone. I sure hope this works!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 09:39 PM

Kelly. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by redlinejesse
Yeah I have started useing engine ice even though I have heard some bad things about that stuff.
what bad things have you heard?
i was thinkin about putting some in my f4i ...

also you say your bike spits out coolant at 12, how did you determine it was the HG ? if the HG is blown and coolant is leaking int the cylinders it should be smoking alittle (white smoke, should smell sweet)
Old 02-21-2005, 01:18 AM

jdridin is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah what bad things you here about it?????????????????????????
Old 02-21-2005, 04:54 PM

I mentioned using it to a few bike mechanics and they said that its not good for stuntbikes. Supposibly it heats up faster than regular antifreeze, and it doesn't cool down fast enough and its been known to blow some hoses, and mess up your thermostat. Although the way I see it, is I take my thermostat out anyway and I would rather blow a few hoses rather than my motor......so rock on I guess.

As far as my head gasket....I was looking at it and I popped the over flow hose of the top of my radiator and was looking at it, and I kept noticing a mist coming from around the head gasket. When I rev it you can see it shooting out from the head gasket. Its not smoking, which I thought was a little weird, but the exhaust seems to be hotter than usual. Not sure if that has anything to do with it though. Also I put a heat gauge on my bike and it was spiting out antifreeze the bike was only at like 140 degrees. Plus I checked everything else and thats what I'm left with, so I'm going for it. Not like the cooling system is the hardest working thing in the world ya know!!
Old 02-21-2005, 05:09 PM
myspace.com/redlinepeyton

Peyton is an unknown quantity at this point

Fix that sh(t so we can ride
Old 02-21-2005, 08:03 PM

thanks for the reply.
hope you get it fixed.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:29 PM

zrex is an unknown quantity at this point

so y exaclty did you remove the thermostat in the first place ? that will cause more problems than its worth. if it was overheating with the thermostat in place then the stat or cap is/was bad
Old 02-22-2005, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by zrex
so y exaclty did you remove the thermostat in the first place ? that will cause more problems than its worth. if it was overheating with the thermostat in place then the stat or cap is/was bad
i think he removed the stat so he can run his fan on a switch. this way you can keep the fan on all the time.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:27 PM

No you don't have to take the stat out to run your fan full time. All you have to do is unplug the conector from your radiator and run it to the ground.

I took the stat out just to try to eliminate a problem. I didn't have gauges at the time so I thought maybe my stat was sticking or something. The bad thing was I took the whole week off for stuntwars and rode all week, and it started happening the friday of stuntwars. So I was desperate, and it was last minute. Brian and I was up untill like 2am friday night trying to get it working, even drove back to tampa to get a cap. Made one lap on saturday in the indivial event and got kicked of the track. Then we were at the warehouse untill like 2am again, and decided to give it up.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:48 PM

Saxton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zrex
I agree.

Removing your thermostat can actually be adverse to cooling in some vehicles. The coolant gets cycled too fast to cool down in the radiator and remove heat from the cylinder heads.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Saxton
I agree.

Removing your thermostat can actually be adverse to cooling in some vehicles. The coolant gets cycled too fast to cool down in the radiator and remove heat from the cylinder heads.

Damn never thought of that, I guess I should put one in there huh?

Quick Reply: F4i over heating problem