how to remove a fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 07:00 PM

ToesToTheSun is an unknown quantity at this point
how to remove a fuel tank

just wondering the correct way to do this because I need to take mine off and I haven't done it yet. any tips suggestions, etc?? lemme know

later
Old 01-11-2005, 07:06 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

-MXD- is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: how to remove a fuel tank

Originally Posted by ToesToTheSun
just wondering the correct way to do this because I need to take mine off and I haven't done it yet. any tips suggestions, etc?? lemme know

later

depending on if you bike is FI or carb you may have to drain the gas.....

take off the bolts near the triples. take off your seat. lift the tank up and undo the fuel pump(if it FI), it will spit out a little gas so you may want to put a rag or something on the end of the hose. now undo the bolts near the seat and youre good to go.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:07 PM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point

the best thing to do is to get a shop manual, it will tell you everything you need to know.
But assuming you don't have one it's really pretty simple. I'm not sure what kind of bike you have but you chould probably take off the side fairings, and take off the seat. Now you might need to unbolt something above the battery to get at the bolts for the tank, either way, there are probably two big bolts going in through a braket from the tank right around your air filter, take these off. Once you do that get a block of wood or something to prop the tank up, now look under neath. You'll need to disconnect a air hose, a fuel hose, and a fuel level indicator, there might be something else so check around under there. and try to remember where everything went. Then you take the block out and wiggle the thing loose, making sure to check if you forgot to undo something underneath.
When you put it back on same thing, just make sure you don't pinch any of the tubes
Old 01-11-2005, 08:33 PM

ToesToTheSun is an unknown quantity at this point

the bike is a 929..so if that helps at all I dunno

thanks
Old 01-11-2005, 11:53 PM

900RR_UP_ON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 94 CBR 900RR, and i will tell you how i do mine (seeing how i have had it on and off 3 times this past week. Take your seat off first, then undo the rear gas tank bolt that is underneath your seat (its probally a 12mm). After that, undo the front bolt or bolts (it is 8mm on my bike). Then carefully lift the tank up from the back with one hand, and with the other disconnect the lines. As soon as you disconnect the main fuel line, plug the hole on the petcock on the tank with your thumb cause gas is gonna start pouring out immediately. (put a rag underneath). Do the main line last so that you can just lift the tank off and drain the gas, or just prop it up hang it so that gas is not flowing out. Trying to plug the hole with your thumb, hold the tank up, and disconnect the other lines is a b!#cH!!! So just disconnect the main line last.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:19 AM

Kaotic is an unknown quantity at this point

the 99 tank i just took off, has gas line and breather, just unplugged both lifted real quick to stop the flooding after i took the bolts out, done deal
Old 01-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Group Moderator

JackassRR is an unknown quantity at this point

lift the tank from the rear, disconnect the wires for the pump, pull the vent lines off, pull the rubber fuel line off but have another piece of hose with a bolt or somethin in the end to plug it quick (gas just runs out) then use a 17mm wrench to disconnest the high pressure fuel line from the throttle bodies and pull it off. dont lose the alum crush washers.