Help! F4 Wrecked/ Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 07:19 PM

Urban Chaos is an unknown quantity at this point
Help! F4 Wrecked/ Won't start

Anyone have any ideas? I have no spark! It was hit in the front. I replaced gauges and ing. switch. I tried a new engine control module and still no luck. Do you think all four coils would be bad or maybe the engine ing. pulse generator?. Open to any suggestions, Thanks
Old 12-18-2004, 07:23 PM

Spencer75south is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help! F4 Wrecked/ Won't start

Originally Posted by Urban Chaos
Anyone have any ideas? I have no spark! It was hit in the front. I replaced gauges and ing. switch. I tried a new engine control module and still no luck. Do you think all four coils would be bad or maybe the engine ing. pulse generator?. Open to any suggestions, Thanks

is it turning on?
Old 12-18-2004, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by FooFighters203
is it turning on?
Yes! Turns over but will not fire.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:16 PM

Z-UNIT is an unknown quantity at this point

yah if ur turn the key is it turning on at all, if not the battery is prolly junk. i have an f4i and sum where there is rectifier mines on the side of my subframe. i doubt the front impact did much to it, but they are notorious for going bad. also check ur fuses you might have blown one. those are under ur drivers seat.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:08 PM

Chicane is an unknown quantity at this point

This might sound dumb.... But you may have killed the tip over sensor... By pass it and see if it starts... This happened to me after a crash one time... My 2 cents.. hope it helps
Old 12-18-2004, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chicane
This might sound dumb.... But you may have killed the tip over sensor... By pass it and see if it starts... This happened to me after a crash one time... My 2 cents.. hope it helps
I cannot find a tip over switch on this bike. I have looked,asked and even chased down a wiring harness. I am still not positive it does not have one.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:55 PM
wheres all the fat girls

martino is a decent person

find out its missing fuel or spark.. go from there.

yank a spark plug wire and ground it and turn the engine over and check for arc.

be careful about spraying starter fluid into the intake for diagnostic purposes, it tends to blow bike motors up.

see if the fuel pump buzzes when you flick the key on.

check for loose electrical connections in the cowl, theres some major wiring harnesses in the front cowl there.

and yea check the fuses

makes sure the on off petcock under the tank didnt get moved. its sposed to be pointed either up or down.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:09 PM

Checked all that! When I pull the plug and ground it,still no spark. Question, how long will the fuel pump stay on when ing. switch is turned on?
Old 12-18-2004, 11:22 PM
wheres all the fat girls

martino is a decent person

Checked all that! When I pull the plug and ground it,still no spark. Question, how long will the fuel pump stay on when ing. switch is turned on?
it primes for like a second
id get a test light and a wiring diagram. it sucks *** but thats what id do
Old 12-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

yeah it sounds like tip sensor to me, it cuts the spark, it'll let the bike try to turn over... search f4i tip over sensor on the forum n u'll find lots of info on it
Old 12-19-2004, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by MasterShake
yeah it sounds like tip sensor to me, it cuts the spark, it'll let the bike try to turn over... search f4i tip over sensor on the forum n u'll find lots of info on it
Mine is a f4, I don't think it has one. I have a wiring diagram and it does not mention one.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:27 PM

BLACK DEATH is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know if this info will help but I bought an 01 F4I that was wrecked. It would not start but would crank. The tip over sensor was gone from the accident. If the tip over sensor is bad or missing the fuel pump will not come on at all. Now mine is fuel injected and I think yours is carbed so this might not pertain to you. Anyhow the tip over sensor on the F4I is behind the cluster behind the headlights in there somewhere. Now I am sure Honda made a tip sensor for the non fuel injected bikes and the only way to turn it off would be to cut off the spark. There has to be a tip sensor in the wirirng harness somewhere that is bad. All I had to do was put the 2 wires together and the bike started right up. If I remeber right on a Honda manuel it doesnt call it a tip switch but something else.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:22 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

hey, this is just a shot in the dark, maybe cause i work with bikes. a CARBED bike doesn't have a tipover sensor guys! the f4's do NOT have a tip over sensor

sounds like it could be pulse generator or the coils. if it cranks over fine and you hear the fuel pump kick on then it's probably one of the 2 things i mentioned. about the only way to find out is to start replacing them of if you have a buddy with the bike start swapping parts 1 by 1 and see what makes it run.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:47 PM

So do you think the coils could all burn out at the same time, from the wreck?Is there a way to check them? Do you know how to check the ohm's from the pulse generator?
Old 12-19-2004, 09:06 PM
back in the saddle again

So do you think the coils could all burn out at the same time, from the wreck?Is there a way to check them? Do you know how to check the ohm's from the pulse generator?

you can check the coils with a digital voltmeter. you check between the part that the spark plug touches (tower) and the + coil terminal. there should be a range that it has to be within, i don't know it without looking in the service manual.

pulse generator, i have no idea how to check it but to replace it with one you know works.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:19 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Mikie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by binder929rr
hey, this is just a shot in the dark, maybe cause i work with bikes. a CARBED bike doesn't have a tipover sensor guys! the f4's do NOT have a tip over sensor
AMEN, haha, every other post "the tip over sensor".. NO.

There are TWO red connections by your upper, make sure they are both clipped in tight, maybe remove then re-clip them to make sure.

Unplug your gauge, you dont need that for it to run, not sure why that would cause anything but try it. You have two main fuses, not the fuze box, two seperate ones (big) try checking those.

Also, unrelated to front impact, but my F4 stopped running TODAY. Took the tank off and checked out the fuel pump, the filter had fuel but the pump wasnt working. I blew into the fuel filter line to physically push fuel through and it started. Bad fuel pump. Try this, it might turn over and then you got your problem.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:33 PM
back in the saddle again

ya, also on the starting relay there is a fuse under the connection, unplug that connector into that relay where the positive off the battery goes, there is a 30 amp fuse under there.