Anyone change their own tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 08:25 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Anyone change their own tires?

Originally Posted by Buddie
I don't care what anyone says, it is impossible without a machine!!! I took my front tire off and it was a PITA! I had to cut through the steel belts around the beed on the sides of the tire! Not worth saving the 25$!!! And I scratched my rim to **** in that spot

wow, i always new i would be able to achieve the impossible.

i change all my tires with tire irons, WITHOUT a machine.....it's possible and only takes me about 15 minutes per tire if i'm working slow.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:55 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future

Putting the tire back on is definitly the hardest part--I bought one of those stupid tire changing devices from harbor freight and it sucks. One of my boys has a Hunter TC3250 tire changer---the kind the bike shops have--tire changed in 5 minutes.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Crashing SUCKS!!!

LAST CALL is an unknown quantity at this point

There's some pretty good ideas in here. I'm gonna try some on my next tire.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:29 AM

ruffrider314 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok Guys Im Here To Help U Have To Get Ghetto With It. Have A Friend Hold The Tire In Front A The Front Rim Of A Car Flat On The Ground And Slowly Run Over The Edge Stopping Once The Car Tire Securely On The Rubber Of The Bike Tire. Then Go Forward And Reverse A Couple Of Times Turning The Wheel A Little More Each Time To Break The Bead All The Way Around After That Get A Flathead And Just Pry The Tire Off. Ohh And Before You Start Let Most Of The Air Out
Old 12-20-2004, 07:31 PM
back in the saddle again

take the valve core out before you do this...and use tire irons because screw drivers will put nicks in your bead and then the tire will leak slowly out the bead....
Old 01-09-2005, 04:35 PM

zx9rash is an unknown quantity at this point

when you have the new tire on just add air? how hard is it to get teh bead to seat? like car tires?
Old 01-10-2005, 08:29 PM
back in the saddle again

Originally Posted by zx9rash
when you have the new tire on just add air? how hard is it to get teh bead to seat? like car tires?

if you use soap all over the beads when putting them on they usually pop into the bead about 45psi or so for me.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:38 PM

Haitham is an unknown quantity at this point

It is labor intensive to change the tires yourself..if you really want you can buy specail tools for this purpose from a tool supply store. I changed them once by myself but did not balance the tires. The next time I needed a tire replaced I just went to a local car tires shop that would not BS and say that it can't be done here and paid a small fee. I just had the rim uninstalled from the bike so all they had to do is take off the old tire and place the new one. Otherwise it is not worth the effort and time that I would have had wasted...Good luck !

Originally Posted by ylw600F4
Is it hard to change tires yourself? What tools do you need to do it?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:27 PM

zx9rash is an unknown quantity at this point

im a ford mechanic so breakin the bead should be no problem any tire machine will work never realized it der der. on mx tire c-clamps work good, just take small bites pullin the bead off or you can rip em.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:02 PM

SAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

We use to do the methods of breaking the bead with just the tire irons but that sucked.

Now we just have one person hold the rim on the ground and we get another bike and line the kickstand with the bead. Push all of the bikes weight and bam your done. Takes 30 seconds for each side to break. USe tire irons and soapy water to slap it back on.
I also have a bead breaker that i recently bought from JC WHITNEY. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but that will get the job done as well. One man job.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:05 AM

nasty6r is an unknown quantity at this point

buy front and rear stands or just rear, whatever, but bring to local shop tell them you will bring all your tires there plus tell others if they hook you up :YEAH $5.00 a tire and you will be able to make it in good with them like i did and be able to just walk in w/out an appt. and be right back out. :YEAH if not sweat and swear
~james