Wheelie Technique

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 01:14 PM

uponone is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheelie Technique

Recently I was cruising along the highway and watched a guy pull an awesome 3rd or 4th gear wheelie on a Gixxer 1000. To bring the bike up, he stood up and gave the front suspension a slight bounce. This launched him almost vertical!

I must admit this looked pretty damn cool and after seeing it have attempted this technique a few times myself. Unfortunately, I have had no luck getting this to happen. Does anyone know how to do this properly? Do I have to tighten up my suspension? I am riding a GSXR 750 and have been trying this in 2nd gear.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:50 PM

Zero Descendo is an unknown quantity at this point
what year is your 750? it should come up in 2nd.. I can get my 600 up in 2nd but its around 8 k.. so I would suggest you roll to about 6 k stand up, let off the gas for a split scond, bounce the front while hitting the gas. if that doesnt get it up, just keep working on the bounce or go higher in the rpm's

-matt
Old 02-07-2003, 06:23 PM

shaun is an unknown quantity at this point
i got a stock 2002 zx6r
i can get it up in 3 itwh ease and 4th most the time just put it in 4th gear bounce down when it start comming back up the front end that is slip the clutch pull it in a tad so the engine revs up the let it go and away youll go practice slow first go like 30 in second and do the same
lata hope this helps
shaun
Old 02-09-2003, 03:36 AM

smb123 is an unknown quantity at this point
First:

Shaun: your post is unintelligible. Seriously, punctuate.

Second:

The idea of the bounce is to wheelie WITHOUT using the clutch.

Anyway Uponone, read around, there should be some posts on this. I will just throw the basics to you, though.

First, practice going through the motions. Get going around 40mph in 4th and practice the technique -- that is, roll on the gas 1/2 - 3/4th throttle to about 50, dip the throttle and bounce on the PEGS, then chop the throttle open after you've bounced.

Do NOT PULL on the clip-ons. You won't get the front up any higher by doing this. I promise. I could go into the physics behind it, but I won't -- just know that it will make your bring the front wheel up crooked and probably not very high at all. Plus it's one more thing to try to think about. When you learn, you want it to be as easy as possible.

Anyway, once you get used to the motions, try it in 2nd gear at about that same speed. When I do standups on my R6 (jetted, no gearing changes), I roll the throttle on going about 40mph I guess, then chop and bounce around 45-50. I can sometimes get it coming up in 3rd. Lots of people can make a stock 600 bounce up in third, I'm just not that good.

Finally, the stiffer your suspension, the harder it will be to bounce a wheelie. If you want it to be SUPER easy, i.e. doing 4th gear standups, set your suspension up with NO compression damping and NO rebound damping. The bounce works because it uses the rebound from the forks. This being said, my R6 is set up REALLY stiff for aggressive twisty riding. I don't feel like changing my setup just to pop wheelies.

The opposite is true for stoppies, though. Stiff suspension is good there.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:35 PM

RE:

Thanks for the advice everyone, very helpful. I am stoked to give these techniques a go!
Old 02-13-2003, 09:27 PM

The object of a wheelie is to come up to balance point as quick as possible so u dont lose revs.
So it would make sense to bounce and clutch.
I learned this strait from the members of DTE so go tell them there wrong.
lata
shaun
Old 02-15-2003, 01:34 PM

KrazyKris750 is an unknown quantity at this point
The thing is you have to bounce the pegs and not the forks...
Old 02-17-2003, 10:59 PM

RC51RYDA is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy ???

dte??? I thought they broke up. Have you checked the website?? its a 1 man show..
Old 02-18-2003, 01:31 AM
Group Moderator

JackassRR is an unknown quantity at this point
One inportant note..cover thy brake!
Old 02-18-2003, 03:36 AM

infamy is an unknown quantity at this point
do yourself a favor.... drop a tooth up front. its the one thing that you can do to your bike to make it whellie easier. you dont need to, it has more than enough power to do them stock, but it'll make it easier in higher gears like 3rd or 4th. a front sprocket only cost like 15 bux and takes like 20 min. to install.
its all about timing , just keep trying . at 1st it seems like you'll never be able to time it just right , but after a while it becomes so natural you can do it without thinking.
dont worry about covering the brake, unless your trying 12's or something. when your 1st learning your not gonna be near high enough to need your brake.
and i dont know what that shaun guy was saying....i think he's drunk.
and you want to bounce the forks... not the pegs. but whatever.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:53 PM

No, you bounce your weight on the PEGS to compress the forks.

The reason this works is rebound. You can't try to bounce your weight on the forks, but that just means you're gonna be so far forward to get a good bounce that it's not gonna come up.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:07 PM

Hey infamy,

Will I lose much top end speed dropping a tooth in the front?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:52 PM

Wanna hear something crazy?

You'll gain top speed.

That's right. Let me explain why:

All bikes come from the factory with gearing that is too tall to use. FOr instance, the R6 comes with gearing for a theoretical top speed of 181mph. Sorry, a stock R6 will hit about 155-160.

So, if you MODERATELY lower the gearing, you can gain top speed. THe reason is because you can use the gearing more easily, meaning you overcome drag. For example, if I go -1 in the front and +1 in the back, my new theoretical top speed on the R6 is @ 165. I bet it could do that, too.

There are 3 factors to top speed: power, gearing, and drag. You have to have the power to use the gearing and overcome the drag.

This isn't BS. Most people just don't believe it.

If you are any good at math, calculate your gearing/speed. I'm sure someone else already has done it anyway. Maybe somewhere on gixxer.com?
Old 02-20-2003, 09:49 PM

infamy is an unknown quantity at this point
dropping one tooth wont change your top speed much, maybe 5-10 less. but im just guessing on that. but then again , how often do you need to go 160?
Old 02-20-2003, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by infamy
dropping one tooth wont change your top speed much, maybe 5-10 less. but im just guessing on that. but then again , how often do you need to go 160?
Did you read the post directly above your post?

I am not making that **** up. It's fact.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:26 PM

I LEARNED IR FROM DTE WHEN THEY WERE TOGETHER
AND ITS A 2 MAN GROUP JHONNY AND BOB MEARLS (BOSTON BOYS)
LATA
SHAUN
Old 02-22-2003, 02:26 AM

Rational is an unknown quantity at this point
Gear Change Myths

Originally posted by infamy
do yourself a favor.... drop a tooth up front. its the one thing that you can do to your bike to make it whellie easier. you dont need to, it has more than enough power to do them stock, but it'll make it easier in higher gears like 3rd or 4th.
There seems to be a common misconception floating around about gearing. Yes, if you are bringing it up in first, changing the gearing will change the amount of torque you get at the rear wheel. But if you gear the bike lower just so you can pull wheelies in a higher gear, what have you gained (aside from closer spaced ratios)? Essentially now you can pull a wheelie in your "new" 4th gear, but your new 4th gear is essentially the same as your old 3rd gear, so you're just counting pennies that aren't there.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:05 AM

Re: Gear Change Myths

Originally posted by Rational
There seems to be a common misconception floating around about gearing. Yes, if you are bringing it up in first, changing the gearing will change the amount of torque you get at the rear wheel. But if you gear the bike lower just so you can pull wheelies in a higher gear, what have you gained (aside from closer spaced ratios)? Essentially now you can pull a wheelie in your "new" 4th gear, but your new 4th gear is essentially the same as your old 3rd gear, so you're just counting pennies that aren't there.
You seem to have some misconceptions. How does GEARING affect POWER output? It does not boost torque. It only uses the power from the engine faster.

Therefore, if you lower the gearing, you can wheelie in a taller gear at lower speeds. Obviously the reason people do this is because the taller gears are less 'touchy' than lower gear.

And let me reiterate: dropping 1 tooth on the front sprocket WON'T lower your top speed, it will raise it. Read my other post in this thread to find out why!
Old 02-22-2003, 12:19 PM

Rational is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Gear Change Myths

Originally posted by smb123
You seem to have some misconceptions. How does GEARING affect POWER output? It does not boost torque. It only uses the power from the engine faster.
You are right, it does nothing to power output, other than altering frictional losses a bit. I did not say it affects the engines power output, only that it changes the torque you get at the rear wheel for a given gear.

Therefore, if you lower the gearing, you can wheelie in a taller gear at lower speeds.
The misconception is that 4th gear is always taller than 3rd gear, and therefore less touchy. Read my original post again, if your geared down bike redlines at 120mph in 4th gear, but in stock condition it redlined at 120 mph in 3rd gear, those two gears are exactly the same.

[i]And let me reiterate: dropping 1 tooth on the front sprocket WON'T lower your top speed, it will raise it. Read my other post in this thread to find out why! [/B]
I said nothing about top speed.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: Gear Change Myths

Originally posted by Rational
You are right, it does nothing to power output, other than altering frictional losses a bit. I did not say it affects the engines power output, only that it changes the torque you get at the rear wheel for a given gear.
Read this one, you contradict yourself. How can it do nothing to power output, yet change the torque? It just uses the torque more quickly.

The misconception is that 4th gear is always taller than 3rd gear, and therefore less touchy. Read my original post again, if your geared down bike redlines at 120mph in 4th gear, but in stock condition it redlined at 120 mph in 3rd gear, those two gears are exactly the same.
I'm talking in relation to the -1t front sprocket. Not a 78t rear sprocket change

I said nothing about top speed.
I know, I just wanted to reiterate.

Quick Reply: Wheelie Technique