How to wheelie on a Katana 600

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 12:58 AM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How to wheelie on a Katana 600

Anyways, I have an 01 katana 600, almost exactly the same as the 04. You should really get used to the bike for a while before you start trying to wheelie it, I had around 2000 and felt confident riding before I even tried them.

As I'm sure you've found out, the katana really lacks in power, so it's next to impossible to power it up, which leaves you with the clutch method.

Now before you find a parking lot (empty) and start popping the clutch make sure you ride around for a few minutes to get the tires warmed up, longer if it's cold out. Because the front end's really heavy the rear tire tends to just spin when you try to clutch up if it's still cold.
Right now I'm still working on getting the beast to BP and holding it there, because the front end is so heavy balance point is really high on this bike, making it take more courage to bring it up that high, but it can be done.

Now I've tried every method out there and the only way that I've found to be consistenly reliable is to clutch it up while standing staggered, left foot on the back left peg and right foot on the front right peg covering the brake.
When you're standing, especially staggered, it brings your weight toward the back of the bike, both giving the tire more traction and making the front lighter, making it easier to wheelie. It feels really, REALLY weird standing up, but you just have to learn to get comfortable with it, once you get comfy it feels natural. To get used to clutching up without actually wheelying I would ride around the parking lot for a little while just slipping the clutch 1000 RPM's to get used to the feeling of that while standing.
Now to wheelie the kat it also really helps to bounce the front suspension to get the rebound. When you push down hard on the bars the forks are going to compress, and when they come back up they're going to push the front end up as well, making it a lot easier to wheelie.
To do this you want to stand and almost LUNGE foreward to compress and then slip the clutch and start to rev it up and then drop it. The big thing is to use your weight to compress the shocks and then get your weight toward the back of the bike as you drop the clutch. It sounds complicated but it's all about feel, the more you do t the more it makes sense.

Now to the good stuff.
Once you get used to standing up, at least a little bit used to it, it's time to start trying to bring the wheel in the air.
The way I bring it up is to stand staggered, going at about 3500 rpm's, and then BOUNCE. Now a lot goes on when you bounce it, you're compressing the suspension, you're pulling the clutch in most of the way, and you're giving it a lot of gas.
When I drop the clutch I usually drop it around 10,500, right at peak horsepower.
I also never fully pull the clutch in, I use my middle and index fingers and pull it in to my nuckles, this way you're holding on with the other fingers.

You want to be rolling on the throttle right when you start to pull the clutch in, maybe half throttle or so to bring the revs up quick, and then drop it as soon as the shocks are at their lowest so as to maximize the rebound affect.
The clutch is only in for less than a second but in that time you should roll on the gas hard and then drop the clutch, and then give it more gas.

Now if you do all of this but the front only jerks, or maybe hops up a couple inches but then drops back down you're not staying on the gas.
After dropping the clutch you have to give it a little more gas, around 3/4 throttle to bring it up, other wise if you let off of it you're just going to get engine braking and nothing will happen.

It just takes practice but the more you do it the more you'll feel comfortable doing it. Go out and make yourself spend 15 minutes or half an hour of non-stop practicing, or practice until you get it to lift a couple inches.

But be safe and WEAR YOU GEAR! Boots, jeans, jacket, helmet and gloves. If you go down without them you're going to have some ugly road rash.
SWEAT WASHES OFF, ROAD RASH DOESN'T.

If you have questions about any of this IM me, got2josh. I'd love to see how it's going for you and stuff. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2004, 03:59 AM

_juice_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Got2josh
Anyways, I have an 01 katana 600, almost exactly the same as the 04. You should really get used to the bike for a while before you start trying to wheelie it, I had around 2000 and felt confident riding before I even tried them.

As I'm sure you've found out, the katana really lacks in power, so it's next to impossible to power it up, which leaves you with the clutch method.

Now before you find a parking lot (empty) and start popping the clutch make sure you ride around for a few minutes to get the tires warmed up, longer if it's cold out. Because the front end's really heavy the rear tire tends to just spin when you try to clutch up if it's still cold.
Right now I'm still working on getting the beast to BP and holding it there, because the front end is so heavy balance point is really high on this bike, making it take more courage to bring it up that high, but it can be done.

Now I've tried every method out there and the only way that I've found to be consistenly reliable is to clutch it up while standing staggered, left foot on the back left peg and right foot on the front right peg covering the brake.
When you're standing, especially staggered, it brings your weight toward the back of the bike, both giving the tire more traction and making the front lighter, making it easier to wheelie. It feels really, REALLY weird standing up, but you just have to learn to get comfortable with it, once you get comfy it feels natural. To get used to clutching up without actually wheelying I would ride around the parking lot for a little while just slipping the clutch 1000 RPM's to get used to the feeling of that while standing.
Now to wheelie the kat it also really helps to bounce the front suspension to get the rebound. When you push down hard on the bars the forks are going to compress, and when they come back up they're going to push the front end up as well, making it a lot easier to wheelie.
To do this you want to stand and almost LUNGE foreward to compress and then slip the clutch and start to rev it up and then drop it. The big thing is to use your weight to compress the shocks and then get your weight toward the back of the bike as you drop the clutch. It sounds complicated but it's all about feel, the more you do t the more it makes sense.

Now to the good stuff.
Once you get used to standing up, at least a little bit used to it, it's time to start trying to bring the wheel in the air.
The way I bring it up is to stand staggered, going at about 3500 rpm's, and then BOUNCE. Now a lot goes on when you bounce it, you're compressing the suspension, you're pulling the clutch in most of the way, and you're giving it a lot of gas.
When I drop the clutch I usually drop it around 10,500, right at peak horsepower.
I also never fully pull the clutch in, I use my middle and index fingers and pull it in to my nuckles, this way you're holding on with the other fingers.

You want to be rolling on the throttle right when you start to pull the clutch in, maybe half throttle or so to bring the revs up quick, and then drop it as soon as the shocks are at their lowest so as to maximize the rebound affect.
The clutch is only in for less than a second but in that time you should roll on the gas hard and then drop the clutch, and then give it more gas.

Now if you do all of this but the front only jerks, or maybe hops up a couple inches but then drops back down you're not staying on the gas.
After dropping the clutch you have to give it a little more gas, around 3/4 throttle to bring it up, other wise if you let off of it you're just going to get engine braking and nothing will happen.

It just takes practice but the more you do it the more you'll feel comfortable doing it. Go out and make yourself spend 15 minutes or half an hour of non-stop practicing, or practice until you get it to lift a couple inches.

But be safe and WEAR YOU GEAR! Boots, jeans, jacket, helmet and gloves. If you go down without them you're going to have some ugly road rash.
SWEAT WASHES OFF, ROAD RASH DOESN'T.

If you have questions about any of this IM me, got2josh. I'd love to see how it's going for you and stuff. Good luck!

or if you dont want to go through these 47 steps, go buy you a GIXXER or a CBR. its alot eaiser.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:29 PM

Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bkrgurl
I own a 2004 Katana 600 and want to learn how to do wheelies on it. However, I have no idea how to do it. Does anyone ride one as well, or at least know how to pull it up into a wheelie?

I've never wheelied a katuna but a few of my friends tried and it takes alot of a$$. Better off buying a Honda.

Good Luck
Be Safe
Old 11-19-2004, 10:03 PM

I'm not saying that the katana is a good stunt bike, or even close, and I'll be the first to tell you that if you want to wheelie get a gsxr or a cbr or something, all the way.
But she asked how to wheelie what she has, and since I've figured it out already I'm just sharing my knowledge of the bike.
If I were to do it again I would buy and older gix instead of the newer katana.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:52 PM

SCOTT_Chychul has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Someone one a zx-10 trying to teach someone on a katana to wheelie... Well anyway, my first bike was a katana and ill tell you that the only way to do it is to go at least -1 in the front and up 3 in the back. That way you wont have to clutch it very hard. Also try bouncing it up using the forks.. The katana makes max tourque at 8000rpm so you need to start rolling on untill about 5500rpm than quickly chop the throttle. when the forks dip all the way crack the gas full open, the tire should loft a few inches and you should be at about 7000rpm, chop the gas at that point and let the tire come down, when the forks hit rock bottom, whack the gas full and it will come up. You want the tire to start lifting at 7500rpm or so. That way when it makes max tourque at 8000 the tire will be a foot off the ground and the bike will power up the rest. By no means is this a good method but it works and for beginers it is a good way to start. let me know if it worked for you..
Old 11-19-2004, 11:07 PM

Little do you know how to spell either... :YEAH
Old 11-20-2004, 11:00 PM

hehe, clever man, it's weird how that works.

About your method scott. Well, you said that the only way to get it up was to gear it -1 +3, but I wheelie mine stock. For stit down power wheelies yes, but not for standups. When you're sitting you're weight is much more over the front of the bike, making it take more engine power to lift it.
You can achive almost the same amount of bounce while standing and using your weight to compress the shocks, instead of using the method you described. Not that's it's bad, I'm sure it would work, but there are easier ways to do this.
And if you have -1 +3 you should be able to clutch it up in second pretty good, first would be wicked easy.

And the only other thing is that you said it works well for beginners, but I have to disagree with this. Power wheelies are 10x more dangerous than clutch wheelies. You don't have nearly the control that you have when you pop the clutch, and for this reason it comes up unpredictabley, making it tons easier to loop or screw something up.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:55 PM

Got2josh i think you have to go back to when you first started, there is no way you just got on your bike and were bouncing up standups,,, You have to learn sit down first,, im not talking about carring it for a mile i am talking about simple up and down just to get the feel for bringing it up.. And i agree clutching is the way to go, but not for a beginer.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:34 PM

bkrgurl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all the guys helping me learn to wheelie. Got2josh thanks for the detailed info. Everyone that is bitching please shut the hell up. We are all here for the same reason. Lets just get along.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:50 AM

Ill Give You Private Lessons Any Time You Want Bkgrl
Old 11-23-2004, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by SCOTT_Chychul
Got2josh i think you have to go back to when you first started, there is no way you just got on your bike and were bouncing up standups,,, You have to learn sit down first,, im not talking about carring it for a mile i am talking about simple up and down just to get the feel for bringing it up.. And i agree clutching is the way to go, but not for a beginer.
You're right, I did start with sitdowns for a couple days, but I quickly learned that that was going nowhere fast and wouldn't come up more than a few inches for me, so that's when I decided to learn standups. And after I found that standups without bounce wouldn't come up too easy I decided I needed to learn to bounce it.
So no, I didn't just start out with sitdowns but I learned very quickly that standups are the way to go, and if someone had told me before I started to just forget about bringing it up while sitting down I would have appreciated it.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:23 PM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

haha your never gonna go anywhere fast on a kan o tuna
Old 11-23-2004, 11:04 PM

ya, but if you can stunt a katana you can stunt anything. And if you learn to stunt on a big powerful bike you're not going to learn the technique, you'll just rely on the brute power instead of finese. I think that learning the clutch/bounce on the kat will really help me when I get a 00-03 (looking) gix 750 over the winter.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:28 PM

Thats true,, anyone can jump on a gsxr1000 and wheelie it takes skill to wheelie a kanatuna...
Old 11-25-2004, 11:31 PM

CHAO5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Got2josh
ya, but if you can stunt a katana you can stunt anything. And if you learn to stunt on a big powerful bike you're not going to learn the technique, you'll just rely on the brute power instead of finese. I think that learning the clutch/bounce on the kat will really help me when I get a 00-03 (looking) gix 750 over the winter.

Yea.. you'll appreciate it.. I learned on a ninja 250 / ninja 500 and an 03 SV650S.. I just got my '00 Gixxer 750 and you appreciate it all the more when it becomes soooooo easy. I've driven buddies Katanas.. they are so heavy.. but I like the squishy seats.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:53 AM

Ecentrik is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone one wondering this goes along with wheeliein the 250.. pls don't post new thread on wheeliein the 250.. i have one and its easy but u gotta have *****..
Old 11-26-2004, 01:02 AM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

jump on a ZX7R and try to wheelie it,it all takes skill.

Quick Reply: How to wheelie on a Katana 600